06-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I just skipped to the conclusion.
06-25-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Inconsistency and irrelevant information as usual.

06-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They also compare it to a 450D. I see the 40D/D300 have been completely omitted from the comparison.

They were very restrained in recommending it, though.
06-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #6

i like how they left the noise reduction on the a700 on while the k20d's was off. all in all it was a pretty decent review. i think they brought up some irrelevant issues too often but oh well.
06-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

some comedy in the commentary..

"The K20D is the first Pentax to offer Live view, which has become the latest must-have feature, even amongst those who haven't worked out what they'd use it for."

i dont know, i found that hilarious.

06-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Actually when I saw all the detail in the high iso pic compare to the other ones's watercolor-like pic, i would rather want the K20d output.

I too don't understand why Liveview is a must have :P
06-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlCanary Quote
i like how they left the noise reduction on the a700 on while the k20d's was off. all in all it was a pretty decent review. i think they brought up some irrelevant issues too often but oh well.
The A700's high ISO images were an utter mess!

And, well, they wouldn't be dpreview if they didn't beat around the bush.
06-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax rules...

for the money, nothing comes close, and even if you spend a LOT more money. The only drawback to the camera is the speed issue, and perhaps the focus assist. In all other respects, it is fabulous.

I noticed the hits on the Pentax are WAY up. Like it or not, Dpreview is an extremely influential site.

We've got a truly great camera there. And they even briefly raved about the genius of Hyperprogram, 18 years or so after its initial release on the PZ-1...

Cheers,
Cameron

Last edited by Cambo; 06-25-2008 at 12:49 PM.
06-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
some comedy in the commentary..

"The K20D is the first Pentax to offer Live view, which has become the latest must-have feature, even amongst those who haven't worked out what they'd use it for."

i dont know, i found that hilarious.
What makes it even more funny is that the Live-View implementation is one of the cons that they complain isn't as good as the competition in the "Pros and Cons" sections of the conclusion.

Of course, I will also say that Live-View isn't something I can think of a great deal of use for, and it is something I would rather was left off of SLR cameras completely, regardless of the camera brand, no matter the implementation. Or dim-plementation as the case may be. Of course to be competitive they had to have some kind of live-view, so there it is. If they hadn't had some kind of provision for Live-View, critics and pundits would have been "puzzled" as to the reason for leaving off the feature, and stating or insinuating that without Live-View the company/camera was behind its competitors.

Still I have to admit, overall it was pretty fair.
06-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
for the money, nothing comes close, and even if you spend a LOT more money. The only drawback to the camera is the speed issue, and perhaps the focus assist. In all other respects, it is fabulous.

I noticed the hits on e the Pentax are WAY up. Like it or not, Dpreview is an extremely influential site.

We've got a truly great camera there. And they even briefly raved about the genius of Hyperprogram, 18 years or so after its initial release on the PZ-1...

Cheers,
Cameron
The "Hyper" mode that I have the most love for though is Hyper-manual. It's such a useful implementation of a manual-exposure mode it makes you wonder why no one else implemented it, even if they weren't the first to do it.
06-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here, here...

QuoteOriginally posted by brothereye Quote
The "Hyper" mode that I have the most love for though is Hyper-manual. It's such a useful implementation of a manual-exposure mode it makes you wonder why no one else implemented it, even if they weren't the first to do it.
And ay, ay...

and there, there...

Cheers,
Cameron
06-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Guys - this was a very fair and honest review. I mean, what didn't they say about the camera? It was clear to see they presented the facts accurately and the conclusion is the K20D rocks and gets a Highly Recommended. What's not to be happy with? And, I might add, there was even a little bit of K10D justice in that review when they compared the RAW outputs from the K20D and the K10D - Finally, they said what we K10D users knew all along, it produces outstanding images.
06-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Guys - this was a very fair and honest review. I mean, what didn't they say about the camera? It was clear to see they presented the facts accurately and the conclusion is the K20D rocks and gets a Highly Recommended. What's not to be happy with?
I think your dosage may be a bit low. Here, have some more kool-aide.
There, doesn't that feel better? The top-rating "Highly Recommended" is not enough for Pentax. In order to be considered a fair review, they should have invented a new "Highly Recommended Above All Else (Run! Run to the Store Right Now! What are you Waiting For? Run!)" rating. Then we'd be happy.