Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There was also an interesting report on Mirrorless Rumours last week about the Theta S being a big seller over Christmas.
Guess what was the hottest Christmas camera seller: The Ricoh Theta S! - mirrorlessrumors

And from what I can see it's also been selling well in Japan. They have been running TV ads for it for a while now.
http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-camera/ranking_0050/

So the product is actually selling in big numbers without big discounts. When you think about it, it makes sense. People like devices that work with their phones and social networks. People like recording what they do and including themselves in those pictures. VR is supposed to be a big trend this year, and the Theta takes videos that can be viewed in VR. It seems like the right device at the right time.
At $350 they probably make more money on this than with all the DSLRs, excl. the 645z.
To outsell things like the RX100 I guess the total numbers really need to be huge.

Just like Casio selling their compacts for more money than Nikon can charge for D7xx the market seems to pay well for specialized and innovative cameras.

01-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Congrats to Ricoh !
01-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I want to buy one. but I can only afford the xiaomi yi camera.
01-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
I was considering the Theta S but a ruggedized version with expandable memory is much more appealing to me.
I'm still considering the theta S. The Nikon Weirdname will probably cost so much more that it leaves it out of the consideration anyway.

The best thing I see about the Nikon launch is that Pentax probably will ruggerize the next Theta and increase to 4K video. Probably not as rugged as the Nikon thing, but hopefully around 400 $ and much more pocketable.

01-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #20
Pentaxian

The Nikon 360• object has just a dreadfull look... and big volume that doesn't make it pocketable.
Definitely NOT for the same type of users...
01-06-2016, 08:26 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Keymission 360 Is Nikon's First Ever Action Camera

Not much is known.. aside from it looking like that and shooting 4K resolution videos... it also looks like it has no on-board memory which is a plus.

I was considering the Theta S but a ruggedized version with expandable memory is much more appealing to me.
Is there a night-vision model planned, a Nocturnal KeyMission?
01-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #22
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
The Nikon 360• object has just a dreadfull look... and big volume that doesn't make it pocketable.
Definitely NOT for the same type of users...
I think K this is True. Theta is the gadget for a good price. Theta doesn't deliver on image quality to make something that will be viewed with VR glass by many people on commercial base. To make content for these devices one needs better output. We will see if the Nikon deliver on that and to what price.

GoPro has a VR rig for 16.000 $ so that is very different.

01-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Here Are the First 360° VR Videos Shot with the Nikon KeyMission 360

Sample videos look pretty good... and at 4K resolution its pretty impressive, although I couldn't run it smoothly at work haha.
01-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #24
Banned

Here Are the First 360° VR Videos Shot with the Nikon KeyMission 360

Sample videos look pretty good... and at 4K resolution its pretty impressive, although I couldn't run it smoothly at work haha.
That is better from a technical point then Theta is.

No press release from Ricoh at CES? They just are there sitting in a corner?
01-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is better from a technical point then Theta is.

No press release from Ricoh at CES? They just are there sitting in a corner?
Almost... https://www.facebook.com/RicohImaging/?fref=nf

Their FB page says they're "focusing on all things Theta" at CES ... which is funny given Nikon and now Kodak with new 360 cameras.
01-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #26
Banned

Almost... https://www.facebook.com/RicohImaging/?fref=nf

Their FB page says they're "focusing on all things Theta" at CES ... which is funny given Nikon and now Kodak with new 360 cameras.
Sitting in a corner and crying.....
01-08-2016, 02:55 AM   #27
Banned

GoPro announced today to work on a Consumer 360-camera. Probably something for Photokina.
01-08-2016, 05:55 AM   #28

Photos: Albums
I like this bit;
QuoteQuote:
The company now known as Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation, was originally founded in 1919, under the name Asahi Optical Joint Stock Co. and launched its first SLR camera in the 1950s under the PENTAX name. Today, Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation continues to produce the heritage-rich, award-winning line of PENTAX DSLR cameras, lenses and sport optics equipment as well as Ricoh's offering of stylish and compact digital cameras, known for their wide-ranging, rich set of features.
Making it clear that in Ricoh's opinion the camera side of things are still Pentax lineage.