Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2015, 01:37 AM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
The Japanese economy is in recession again. Since that is an important market for Ricoh, maybe some products may be delay.

11-16-2015, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #17
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The Japanese economy is in recession again. Since that is an important market for Ricoh, maybe some products may be delay.
If there's one thing whose demise has been predicted more often than Pentax, it's the Japanese economy. I can't see how it would affect any decision Ricoh would make.
11-16-2015, 03:42 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Yea, a bit of a sensationalist thread title... "Delayed till early 2016" is more appropriate.
Asahi man is not a native English speaker; he posted in good faith. But the effect is what you're describing.

---------- Post added 16-11-15 at 12:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
If there's one thing whose demise has been predicted more often than Pentax, it's the Japanese economy. I can't see how it would affect any decision Ricoh would make.
TokyoIsDoomed?
11-16-2015, 03:46 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From the business point of view Pentax needs to increase it´s presence and market share outside of Japan. Many of the ongoing developments look promissing. They just need to get the products out.

11-16-2015, 08:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
as stated by Kenspo? elsewhere Hoya left Pentax gutted. Building back production lines takes a while. Maybe that's one of the reasons
I doubt the state of production lines is a reason for the additional delay as Ricoh knew what they were inheriting three or four years ago. This lens wasn't even on the roadmap at that time.
11-16-2015, 10:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I played with a prototype of the 70-200 f2.8 a few weeks ago at an expo. It's AF speed on the K3 was very very quick, impressively so. Accuracy was pretty decent in low light as well. I was blown away. I would say its on par with the 70-200 VRII from Nikon actually in all ways from build quality, speed of AF, and size and heft. I didn't have my camera on me so I wasn't able to compare directly.

It's going to be a very impressive lens.

---------- Post added 11-16-2015 at 10:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
we are heading into a global recession right now overall. so I doubt that makes a huge difference.

we will see consumer spending drop in 2016 overall.
11-16-2015, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
we will see consumer spending drop in 2016 overall.
Retailers are already whining about slow sales. The local news just reported a survey that shows the majority will spend less on the holidays this year and 33% said they won't shop on Black Friday.

The economy won't get any help from the Fed either. All signs point to an interest rate increase in December. Two straight years without any inflation are always a reason to make a move to slow down inflation

11-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, it's pretty old news:
HD Pentax D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 Delayed - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

US retailers suggest that the lens will come out in February.
This is the rumor forum and the delay is still a rumor and not news because Ricoh does not have the guts to tell us that the lens that is showing up as live in the roadmap is delayed by basically one year.
11-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Yeah, a public debt constantly nearing 300% of yearly GNP if i recall correctly.
And still no financial crash.
11-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I doubt the state of production lines is a reason for the additional delay as Ricoh knew what they were inheriting three or four years ago. This lens wasn't even on the roadmap at that time.
on the contrary, production capacity (or lack thereof) is currently a limitation - and also a positive since Pentax likely has little idle capacity, unlike Nakn or Nikon.
11-16-2015, 10:54 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Words mean things.

Delayed or Postponed is what you were looking for.

There's already enough rabid fervor for how Pentax is doomed...

-Heie
it is Asahi man words not mine
11-16-2015, 11:13 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
on the contrary, production capacity (or lack thereof) is currently a limitation - and also a positive since Pentax likely has little idle capacity, unlike Nakn or Nikon.
The point is Ricoh's production capacity, or lack of, has been known by them for years so it can't account for "new news" that would cause a postponement. Of course I'm wrong if their lens business unexpectedly started booming but is there any indication of that?
11-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The point is Ricoh's production capacity, or lack of, has been known by them for years so it can't account for "new news" that would cause a postponement. Of course I'm wrong if their lens business unexpectedly started booming but is there any indication of that?
Several sources have noted that Pentax is production limited and that events such as the success of the 645z and the issues with the k-3II caused disruptions that forced delays. I agree this is not 'new' news and should have been taken under consideration already. But given the economy and the shrinking of the camera market in general I would think it is better to be limited in production rather than have to pay for lines that are idle. Timing is important here, not just the time on the line but scheduling time. If product 'B' is scheduled to build next and something holds back product 'A' at some point you have to cancel product 'A' and move on. That might mean the next opening on the line is months later, not just the delay time because product 'C' and 'D' and 'E' are already scheduled.

I am assuming they are also gearing up with other lenses for the FF launch beyond those that we have seen so far. The 15-30 and the 28-105 will surely be available at launch and those have to get made someplace.
11-17-2015, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #29
JPT
Pentaxian

I don't believe that this is only a matter of waiting for space on a production line. The lens was a finished product at CP+ 2015 in February. I got to play around with two copies myself, pictures were posted on this forum and a review was published. It seems impossible that this lens could take so long to produce when the 150-450 lens was available so quickly.

The Canon and Nikon lenses the D FA 70-200 has to go up against are exceptional lenses themselves. It seems more likely that Ricoh saw the initial reactions, decided that it was not quite good enough so decided to redesign it, which exactly what they have said in their announcements. Perhaps it's more fun to speculate about other explanations, but based on the last few years it seems to me that Ricoh is either honest or just says nothing. That's not to say they can't miss a deadline, but I'm pretty good at doing that too!
11-17-2015, 07:54 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Japan seems to have entered recession territory again despite efforts to weaken the currency hoping to encourage companies (Japan,Inc.) to invest in production facilities for export growth and to raise wages. Rather, companies are reducing head count, consolidating production facilities, delaying product introductions and rationalizing balance sheets. *

* Source: Bloomberg, which sees this as devasting for Prime Minister Shinzo Abe politically and for Anenomics generally.