Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 2.8 70-200 canceled for 2015

posted by Asahi man at dpr pentax forum.
sorry if it was posted here befor.

Pentax 2.8 70-200 canceled for 2015

The new DFA 70-200 is cancelled till the start of the new Pentax K-1.
Best regards

11-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, it's pretty old news:
HD Pentax D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 Delayed - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

US retailers suggest that the lens will come out in February.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Pretty old news, but there has been some hope - as from asahi man himself - that it would still come this november on the shelves.
11-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, it's pretty old news:
HD Pentax D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 Delayed - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

US retailers suggest that the lens will come out in February.
sorry for that. he posted it today 5 hours ago and i thought it has some thing new.

11-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
sorry for that. he posted it today 5 hours ago and i thought it has some thing new.
You don't need to be sorry, this is new clarification about the status of this lens. After all, Pentax just released a 24-70 DFA zoom instead of waiting for the FF K-1 to be released, so there was reason to think they might release the 70-200 before the new camera body as well. It doesn't appear that major problems with the lens itself are holding up its release, pictures taken with this lens have been posted much earlier this year and it appears to have stellar IQ.

My guess is that AF performance with this lens on current Pentax bodies is less impressive than Ricoh engineers were expecting. AF performance is probably the reason why the FF camera has been delayed as well. Until we see one or the other offered for sale, I'm sticking with my theory/guess.
11-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

I'm sticking with my theory that Ricoh developed a time machine, went into the future, obtained a Pentax digital Full frame body and lenses, went back to the past and gave past selves the camera and lenses so they could learn from the advanced technology, went back to the future and discovered it is taking them more time to understand and recreate it so now we're delayed until 2016 before future FF is ready for today.
11-14-2015, 02:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It's all very messy, Ricoh.

Sort yourself out pls.

11-14-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Ricoh has such unbelievable success with the 645Z so they are probably trying to produce as many of them as they can while their hot. Therefore, they push back on the FF and the 70-200 release date to to build anticipation to gain market share when release. Sound like a marketing strategy to me.

Went to the Arlington Cameras EXPO today and the only camera Ricoh has on display was the 645z.
11-15-2015, 02:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's actually not the former postponement, it's a new one; it's was posted on November 13th, on Ricoh imaging japanese web site. ?HD PENTAX-D FA<sup>?</sup> 70-200mmF2.8ED DC AW?????????????????????RICOH IMAGING

I guess 2015 is the year of a turn-around; the releases in 2015 are slim, but then we expect a number of new product released in 2016.
11-15-2015, 04:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote

I guess 2015 is the year of a turn-around; the releases in 2015 are slim, but then we expect a number of new product released in 2016.
I sure hope so. Their track record with recent product launches is not exactly impeccable
11-15-2015, 05:02 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
I sure hope so. Their track record with recent product launches is not exactly impeccable
When I look at products releases per camera brand on DPReview, the number of product releases of Ricoh in 2015 in much lower than the average number of product releases in the previous years (and also significantly lower than other brands). My guess is: either they are doing new products designs (in addition to the FF design in progress) that are not a continuous improvement of existing products, Or, they have restructured or they are restructuring (downsizing) to cope with the current camera market conditions. Hopefully, I retain the first scenario, i.e I expect a number of new product releases next year. As the market contract, it seems that they take refuge in the higher-end products such as medium format that is untouched my smartphones.
11-15-2015, 07:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
When I look at products releases per camera brand on DPReview, the number of product releases of Ricoh in 2015 in much lower than the average number of product releases in the previous years (and also significantly lower than other brands). My guess is: either they are doing new products designs (in addition to the FF design in progress) that are not a continuous improvement of existing products, Or, they have restructured or they are restructuring (downsizing) to cope with the current camera market conditions. Hopefully, I retain the first scenario, i.e I expect a number of new product releases next year. As the market contract, it seems that they take refuge in the higher-end products such as medium format that is untouched my smartphones.
This is pretty much the way I see it, too. If this really is the case, that´s fine.
What bothers me is that they are consistently struggling to get new products out and failing to meet previously announced deadlines. I hope they get their internal processes sorted out.
11-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
What bothers me is that they are consistently struggling to get new products out and failing to meet previously announced deadlines. I hope they get their internal processes sorted out.
as stated by Kenspo? elsewhere Hoya left Pentax gutted. Building back production lines takes a while. Maybe that's one of the reasons
11-15-2015, 07:54 AM - 4 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
Pentax 2.8 70-200 canceled
Words mean things.

Delayed or Postponed is what you were looking for.

There's already enough rabid fervor for how Pentax is doomed...

-Heie
11-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yea, a bit of a sensationalist thread title... "Delayed till early 2016" is more appropriate.