Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #346
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
You can try to defend them but this look like amateurism. There nothing bad to not have the competance in-house, but when that's the case you should sign a contact with a company that is able to handle that for you. And you should not buy cheap.
If I would say that everyone say's I'm negative.

They could just ask Ricoh Imaging America's to make that story and still keep their money in their pockets.

Or as @Kenspo say's it...... "He is glad that I know it all!"

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 12-01-2015 at 02:03 PM.
12-01-2015, 01:54 PM   #347
Pentaxian

You can try to defend them but this look like amateurism. There nothing bad to not have the competance in-house, but when that's the case you should sign a contact with a company that is able to handle that for you. And you should not buy cheap.
Defending? I'm merely stating an opinion; and if the translation is the problem, then the article should have been rewritten in English. IMO the only problem with the English article is in nuances and choices of words (and spelling). The message is fine, better than the clumsy, cluttered nonsense most of us would come up with.

And FTR I don't care much about such trivial things, nor do I want to pay for a funds-heavy marketing campaign (though they should at least employ better spelling, that's a bit embarrassing).
12-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #348
Pentaxian

I think we all have to admit it looks amateurish. Admittedly, the English language translations of other parts of the Japan website are often a bit short of perfect, but this is not good for a company of Ricoh's size and capability. It's almost as if someone who's less than proficient with the language has had a go at it, and left it as a draft for someone better to finish it off. Either way, it's not a good advertisement for the company.
12-01-2015, 03:30 PM   #349
bxf
Site Supporter

As I see it, the problem with the sloppy spelling is that it induces the perception that Ricoh simply couldn't be bothered enough with Pentax to assign the required resources to getting the message out correctly. Although I don't actually believe that to be the case, one could be excused for developing such a notion.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
If I would say that everyone say's I'm negative.
Not really, Ron. You were being accused of negativity as a result of your persistent insistence that the Pentax FF may not come, or is nowhere near ready, etc, etc. I'm not bothering to go back and check your posts exactly, but you get what I mean.

12-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #350
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not to pick on you, but how many spelling and syntax errors did you make in this ONE post, in which you criticize spelling and syntax errors made by (other) non-native English writers?
12-01-2015, 03:42 PM - 2 Likes   #351
bxf
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not to pick on you, but how many spelling and syntax errors did you make in this ONE post, in which you criticize spelling and syntax errors made by (other) non-native English writers?
Poor analogy, I'd say. Nicolas is not producing an advert for a major company.
12-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #352
Pentaxian

Some of us occasionally have to draw a deep breath with the grammar from English-only contributors here, but that's part of being a community (I freely admit to an occasional outburst, and that none of us is perfect). Let's just hope that this doesn't remain as is, when and if it makes it to the main English-speaking Pentax official websites I can't imagine it would.
12-01-2015, 04:18 PM   #353
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's hard to work up much emotion about somebody writing copy for another language.

Except amusement.

Allegedly, the Mitsubishi Starion was named that because of mishearing a Japanese exec ordering it to be the 'Stallion'. :-D

Their 4WD has an unfortunate name in Latin America - pajera = ''. Just lack of research, not a typo.

12-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #354

That's a typo. I used to drive Mitsubishi Pajero
12-01-2015, 05:10 PM - 2 Likes   #355
Pentaxian

The difference, to me, is here I am a foreigner trying to participate a community. I am well aware that I make errors in english and that is one of the reasons I decided to stay in France to work rather to work in the valley or even Boston like some colleagues that departed over time. That and a few other reasons like my familly or the limited vacations you have there. It is indeed great to have your native language as the one many share all over the world to discuss. it was the case of French language back in time, but more 100-200 years ago (and 1/3 of english come from french).

What I write here is not used by myself to try to sell millions of cameras (or whatever else). I am just a software developper that enjoy taking some photos and discuss arround it here. I am not that bad at reading/speaking english because all the documentation at work are in english, I read many english books, meetings are most often in english, and I participated many communities over time on the net.

While it may be difficult to me to have everything I write in forums reviewed by a native speaker, I do hope that Ricoh can afford that. To be honest if even me as foreigner manage to perceive their english is quite bad, this is not a good sign for them.

You can go after me. That would not change anything on the facts. I'am not a great english writer and their website doesn't look like a professionnal one. The 2 things are indeed independant.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 12-01-2015 at 05:21 PM.
12-01-2015, 07:18 PM   #356
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Poor analogy, I'd say. Nicolas is not producing an advert for a major company.
It is still funny, sort of. (and that doesn't change anything about Ricoh mistakes).
12-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #357
Pentaxian

Seems that all the discussion of whether it would make sense for Ricoh to acquire either Samsung's technology or even their whole camera department is moot:

Hot rumor! Nikon bought Samsung NX mirrorless tech! - mirrorlessrumors

I quote:

"The past weeks we had long chats with our Samsung sources about the recent shut down rumors. And they told us the reason why Samsung is stopping the camera sales: Nikon acquired all the Samsung NX tech! That acquisition could (I said could!) be made public in January at the CES. As we have been told Samsung will have a major press announcement there."
12-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #358
Loyal Site Supporter

Wasn't there an old Soviet-era Russian joke about the newspapers Pravda and Izvestia ("Truth" and "News") that there was "no news in the truth and no truth in the news"? We can make up whatever we like, but we should be honest with ourselves & each other and flag it as garbage.

I've heard that Elvis has a copy of the full-frame and is currently photographing Hitler's secret moonbase with it.
12-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #359

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Originally posted by Nicolas06 This already exist it is called bay window :P But this is not that popular for bathrooms !

Mistral75;3445381 It depends on the side .
And who is on the inside!

Kjell
12-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #360
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Wasn't there an old Soviet-era Russian joke about the newspapers Pravda and Izvestia ("Truth" and "News") that there was "no news in the truth and no truth in the news"? We can make up whatever we like, but we should be honest with ourselves & each other and flag it as garbage.

I've heard that Elvis has a copy of the full-frame and is currently photographing Hitler's secret moonbase with it.
There are rumours and there are rumours. Some are hilariously unlikely, others do make a lot of sense. The article states that the information is from a trusted source, and it does make a lot of sense. So Hitler should better get his moon base hooked up wo the world wide web and listen carefully
Closed Thread