Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2015, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #391
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I was going to ask what a sewing circle is but nevermind. Lake Arrowhead, CA? You were on Restaurant Impossible last night!!!!!!!
The less polite version is "Stitch 'n' Bitch"...

...but you know that, didn't you?

12-03-2015, 09:22 PM   #392
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The less polite version is "Stitch 'n' Bitch"... ...but you know that, didn't you?
12-04-2015, 04:15 AM   #393
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
I disagree. To reply to your points:
1. If electronics does not hold its value and is replaced every half year Pentax better should be on the forefront to remain competitive.
2. DSLRs also are heavier. And electronics has a lot of headroom. Have you ever seen the internals of an iPad? There is about 10% chips the rest is battery. There may be quite some space to use for larger batteries in mirrorless cams.
3. Reportedly, Sony is giving up APS-C and developing a cheap entry FF mirrorless. Should Pentax reply with an APS-C DSLR to be competitive price-wise?
4. Not better, but neither was it worse than the best on the market. Plus the NX can fire at 15 fps, has excellent 4K etc. Any competitors?
5. Yes, Sony focused on the sensor and somewhat missed on the usability and the system. Samsung did not miss on the usability but on the system. Nikon won't on either. Concerning the price: when an APS-C DSLR for 400 € will be great in the near future you will probably get the same specs in a mirrorless for 200 €. Why? Because it has only about 125 screws compared with 300+ in an DSLR. Especially in the low cost entry models the price will rule - and there is little hope DSLR designs will proof competitive here, e.g., they will need a PDAF system while the mirrorless will just make use of its sensor. In expensive cameras this might not be important but in entry models with low margins it will be crucial.

---------- Post added 12-03-2015 at 01:41 AM ----------

But you will need cutting edge technology to remain competitive. Sony has it all in their own company: EVF, sensor, memory etc. Pentax and Nikon already have to wait for half a year to use the 42 MP sensor. What will be in the future? The market is concentrating. How many manufacturers of the electronic parts will stay in the game when the big three decide to use just their own resources? The big ones may not need third party chips and electronics anymore. Pentax will.
I don't know how important technology and cutting edge electronics are to still photography, which is what I am interested in. BSI seems to give faster frame rates and better video, but I personally don't need 15 fps -- 8 is more than enough for my purposes. I am fine with Pentax making the effort to make their video better. It seems like a good plan to do so, but I don't honestly know how many full frame cameras are sold for their video capabilities. Seems more like one of those things that once it is there a lot of people will use it some, but it isn't why they bought the camera.

Mirrorless versus SLR is an argument that won't be settled easily. Small size isn't always a great thing when it comes to camera bodies, particularly if you are shooting with good sized lenses. PDAF on the sensor, which seems to be the only way to have mirrorless auto focus be adequate, has some draw backs too.
12-04-2015, 04:49 AM   #394
Loyal Site Supporter

I was going to ask what a sewing circle is but nevermind.
Translation: "This place is worse than a bunch of old ladies gossiping." Probably a terrible stereotype in this day and age, but it does have a point.

12-04-2015, 09:11 AM   #395
Forum Member

I was going to ask what a sewing circle is but nevermind. Lake Arrowhead, CA? You were on Restaurant Impossible last night!!!!!!!
Ah yes. Lake Arrowhead Sports Grill. Which interestingly enough isn't actually located in Lake Arrowhead but the adjoining community of Blue Jay. They are a short drive from our house, maybe 2-3 miles. We've eaten there frequently both before and after the RI remodel (I have not seen the episode, btw). I wouldn't call what resulted from that earth shattering but it did result in a streamlining of the menu. Its still a somewhat eclectic mix on the menu though. There's not a ton of choices up here on the mountain but what is here is slowly getting more high quality. For a long time I said it was impossible to get good mexican food up here (which should be impossible in SoCal) but in the last year there is a pretty good place that opened up less than a mile from where we live. And a really, really good pizza joint opened up right next door to it.
12-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #396
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bryce K Quote
I wouldn't call what resulted from that earth shattering but it did result in a streamlining of the menu.
My wife is an avid watcher of the show. This episode dealt mostly with family issues rather than any changes to the restaurant. This show should be required reading for anyone trying to run a small business, restaurant or photography or whatever. The issues are the same regardless of what business it is.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bryce K Quote
There's not a ton of choices up here on the mountain
I know the feeling, I live in a 'resort' area near Mt Hood and despite all the tourist traffic not much in restaurants. One really good one but with a limited menu, a couple of dive bars and one Mexican restaurant I ate at once and will never go back to (nor will anyone else I know)
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Translation: "This place is worse than a bunch of old ladies gossiping."
Well that is about as good a description of this place as any. Though the 'old ladies' part likely isn't true, either here or in the real world. I've noticed 'old guys' tend to gossip as much or more than 'old ladies'.
12-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #397
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
I disagree. To reply to your points:
1. If electronics does not hold its value and is replaced every half year Pentax better should be on the forefront to remain competitive.
2. DSLRs also are heavier. And electronics has a lot of headroom. Have you ever seen the internals of an iPad? There is about 10% chips the rest is battery. There may be quite some space to use for larger batteries in mirrorless cams.
3. Reportedly, Sony is giving up APS-C and developing a cheap entry FF mirrorless. Should Pentax reply with an APS-C DSLR to be competitive price-wise?
4. Not better, but neither was it worse than the best on the market. Plus the NX can fire at 15 fps, has excellent 4K etc. Any competitors?
5. Yes, Sony focused on the sensor and somewhat missed on the usability and the system. Samsung did not miss on the usability but on the system. Nikon won't on either. Concerning the price: when an APS-C DSLR for 400 € will be great in the near future you will probably get the same specs in a mirrorless for 200 €. Why? Because it has only about 125 screws compared with 300+ in an DSLR. Especially in the low cost entry models the price will rule - and there is little hope DSLR designs will proof competitive here, e.g., they will need a PDAF system while the mirrorless will just make use of its sensor. In expensive cameras this might not be important but in entry models with low margins it will be crucial.
Most of this is based on what mirorless will do tomorrow or could have done if... Time are not good to invest in this technologie because the market is shrinking and the entry level market is not eaten by mirorless but by smartphones. That's been many years mirorless fanatics said they would take the whole market with them, just wait a bit more. Now we still wait and they are still the minority.
12-04-2015, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #398
Pentaxian

Sony buys Toshiba's sensor business

Subject to the regulatory approvals, Sony will take over Toshiba’s CMOS image sensor business for a purchase price of 19 billion yen ($154 million).

In a respective news release the subject of the transfer appears to mainly be "fabrication facilities", but I guess "related assets" may include patents, etc.

On the one hand I like Sony to thrive, on the other hand Toshiba was one of the very few sensor manufacturers that seemed to be able to rival Sony. Too much market dominance by Sony won't be ideal for camera manufacturers and end customers.

12-04-2015, 11:08 PM   #399
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Subject to the regulatory approvals, Sony will take over Toshiba’s CMOS image sensor business for a purchase price of 19 billion yen ($154 million).

In a respective news release the subject of the transfer appears to mainly be "fabrication facilities", but I guess "related assets" may include patents, etc.

On the one hand I like Sony to thrive, on the other hand Toshiba was one of the very few sensor manufacturers that seemed to be able to rival Sony. Too much market dominance by Sony won't be ideal for camera manufacturers and end customers.
I can't imagine that any of the camera manufacturers want this merger to occur, other than Sony. I suppose its the Japanese government which will make the decision on this.
12-05-2015, 01:43 AM   #400
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I can't imagine that any of the camera manufacturers want this merger to occur, other than Sony. I suppose its the Japanese government which will make the decision on this.
They are still below 50 % marketshare and other players are activeren, so there is no reason to stop this.
12-05-2015, 02:26 AM   #401
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
They are still below 50 % marketshare and other players are activeren, so there is no reason to stop this.
I'm not talking about camera marketshare, i'm writing about Sony being arguably the best/perhaps largest maker of Camera Sensors, now consolidating their dominance even farther by buying up one of their competitors, i.e. Toshiba. Most corporations drive towards monopoly situations. The purpose of regulators is to keep monopolies from occurring, IMHO. Its kind of like having banks "that are too big to fail" - as anyone from the USA can relate to.
12-05-2015, 02:26 AM   #402
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
In fact, Sony's camera sales fell by 27 percent in the last quarter, so the government should encourage companies to do whatever they need to get out of debt.
12-05-2015, 03:53 AM   #403
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Yeah but for toshiba it make sense, market is shrinking and they would need to invest a lot to improve significantly.

Issue is that Sony will have no reason to be kind to others or even improve if they become the only player in town.
12-05-2015, 04:07 AM   #404
Site Supporter

I think that given the heaviness of investments required by semiconductor/chips technology, that sector is likely to concentrate more than any other....
12-05-2015, 06:03 AM   #405
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I'm not talking about camera marketshare, i'm writing about Sony being arguably the best/perhaps largest maker of Camera Sensors, now consolidating their dominance even farther by buying up one of their competitors, i.e. Toshiba. Most corporations drive towards monopoly situations. The purpose of regulators is to keep monopolies from occurring, IMHO. Its kind of like having banks "that are too big to fail" - as anyone from the USA can relate to.
I know it's about sensors, but also there they are below 50 % marketshare for sensors. The sensor market is more then just our camera's. Toshiba is maybe in a situation where bankruptsy is very close, so selling parts is a way to avoid that.
Closed Thread