Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #421
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I believe the Nikon D600 had a mandatory cropmode.
Are we talking full manual control or ON/OFF, when we say "manual or auto crop"? Full manual in both axes might be a little difficult to implement (though I'd like that degree of control, ideally), but percentage full frame might be nice, instead of just APS-C/35FF, take it or leave it. I guess the latter is the easiest thing to implement, and it leaves the user to crop in post, but even if fully variable in-camera crop was available, it may be just a firmware overlay mask, rather than a "hard" crop.

12-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #422
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
50% of marketshare is way too much influence. In early industrialization in the US, they had a term "Robber Barons" that was applied to company CEO's who had amassed such an influence in a particular market area, that they could demand exorbitant prices for their product. Giving any one company too much influence is bad policy for other reasons. What if Sony decided to buy Toshiba and build one single giant manufacturing plant for sensors. Perhaps an earthquake or a terrorist could disable that single plant and cause some very painful supply problems world wide. "free markets" have never been free, for good reason.
Kind of similar to what Walmart does to product manufacturers who want their product sold in Walmart stores... except it is the other way around since they are the retailer.. its a case of 'we want your product for X low ball cost or we cannot sell it in our 20 kabillion stores'

I don't think Sam Walton ran the store like that.. today I suspect it is a case of both greed and fear of being pushed out of the market by a competitor even more greedy than them.. so they have to be top greedmiester on the block to stay competitive... vicious market.

With Sony having so much influence.. I could see them pulling something similar.. IF you want our superfantastic sensors you must pay us X exorbitant fee and wait 12 months. If you want it 6 months earlier.. the fee is x3 higher. Don't like our terms? You're quite welcome to do business elsewhere (knowing full well there is no one else capable of matching the sensor tech and capacity).
12-07-2015, 01:26 AM   #423
Pentaxian

No. Neither does the D610.

Both have 'Auto DX Crop' as an image area option, with 'On' or 'Off' as the settings.

If you choose 'Off', you can choose to keep shooting in FX mode even if the camera detects that you have a DX lens mounted.

I would be VERY surprised if the Pentax FF didn't offer the same option.
12-07-2015, 03:59 AM   #424
Pentaxian

Talking about crop modes and Nikon, you may want to have a look at

Nikon basically has 4 modes to choose from, FF, 1.2x crop, 1.5x crop, and 5:4 aspect.
It optionally can gray out the cropped part in the viewfinder, depending on model. Also, some models can have a higher burst rate in crop mode.

Even more interesting though is what Sony does (with an EVF of course). They provide a digital zoom (continous crop) where you can externally connect analog zoom sliders to zoom in and out. The zoom does work optical with select zoom lenses (RX100) too, so, Sony can almost entirely obfuscate the difference between cropping and zooming. This is most useful in movie mode.

12-07-2015, 04:38 AM   #425
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Too many words and no any visual explanation
12-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #426
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there *any* camera on the market with mandatory cropmode?
12-07-2015, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #427
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Is there *any* camera on the market with mandatory cropmode?
Yes: any and all cameras with an APS-c sensor.
12-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #428
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
There won't be a better answer than yours, Mistral! :-D

12-07-2015, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #429
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Kind of similar to what Walmart does to product manufacturers who want their product sold in Walmart stores... except it is the other way around since they are the retailer.. its a case of 'we want your product for X low ball cost or we cannot sell it in our 20 kabillion stores'

I don't think Sam Walton ran the store like that.. today I suspect it is a case of both greed and fear of being pushed out of the market by a competitor even more greedy than them.. so they have to be top greedmiester on the block to stay competitive... vicious market.

With Sony having so much influence.. I could see them pulling something similar.. IF you want our superfantastic sensors you must pay us X exorbitant fee and wait 12 months. If you want it 6 months earlier.. the fee is x3 higher. Don't like our terms? You're quite welcome to do business elsewhere (knowing full well there is no one else capable of matching the sensor tech and capacity).
Exactly right. Its interesting to note that the American Founders knew about corporations as well, and the hazards they posed (because of the ability to amass fortunes from one year to the next. Their idea was to license a corporation for only 1 year, and then it would be disbanded. Corporations today are like countries, except they have no liabilities like:
A. Having to pay for armed forces
B. To be concerned about people issues, like care and feeding, jobs, diseases, weather disasters, etc.
C. To provide schools and colleges, corporations just don't care
D. Wars - not a concern particularly to a corporation - they can just move to another country

With multi-national corporations, one can just move manufacturing plants to whatever country currently has the best labor rates. Thats how they bust labor unions in any specific country. So for Japanese camera companies, lenses and bodies may be built in Viet Nam, Thailand, Philippines, etc. American car makers often make cars in other countries, while Toyota and Honda as well as some others, make cars in the US.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if countries decided to get tough with corporations. A funny example of this is when Russia banned the import of Nikon D600's because of the oil spatter problem, i think. None of the camera companies wanted to comment on that particular issue. Corporations want to have things they own way, but there may come a day when countries start playing tough with corporations.
12-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #430
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
and any and all full frames compared to medium format... and any and all medium format compared to 6x7... and any and all 6x7 compared to 8x10...
12-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #431
Loyal Site Supporter

There should be no private ownership of capital assets. No one person's income should be more than three times another (lowest) person's income. Personal consumption property should always be limited to that which is the most productive for society and least destructive of the general welfare of fellow citizens.

Since we all have phone cameras we certainly don't need dedicated cameras just for entertainment. Which solves the corporate profit problem in one stroke.
12-07-2015, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #432
Pentaxian

Looks like it's about time to wrap this thread up!
12-07-2015, 04:34 PM   #433
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There should be no private ownership of capital assets. No one person's income should be more than three times another (lowest) person's income. Personal consumption property should always be limited to that which is the most productive for society and least destructive of the general welfare of fellow citizens.

Since we all have phone cameras we certainly don't need dedicated cameras just for entertainment. Which solves the corporate profit problem in one stroke.
I'm more in favor of a society in which photographers are honored and paid 5 times more than NFL players. But what do I know?
12-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #434
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Ahahah !

A superpower that can enforce that has the ultimate monopoly on everybody life... and is almost sure to abuse it. This look more dangerous than the worst corporation we have today. No corporation has ever killed or ever controlled that much money and people life as most states continously do. The reasons are always for peace, in name of god, to free people or democracy. But this doesn't mean people are not killed and the states do not control how most of the billions $$ produced worldwide are consumed and that they hesitate to use violance when people or other states don't comply to their will...

The worst corporation is an innocent baby in comparison to the typical state.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 12-07-2015 at 04:43 PM.
12-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #435

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Ahahah !

A superpower that can enforce that has the ultimate monopoly on everybody life... and is almost sure to abuse it. This look more dangerous than the worst corporation we have today. No corporation has ever killed or ever controlled that much money and people life as most states continously do. The reasons are always for peace, in name of god, to free people or democracy. But this doesn't mean people are not killed and the states do not control how most of the billions $$ produced worldwide are consumed and that they hesitate to use violance when people or other states don't comply to their will...

The worst corporation is an innocent baby in comparison to the typical state.
And how many corporates pump money to political systems so that laws or projects will be voted according to their interests?
Who's controlling whom nowadays? In some countries it may be the local mafia, in other the religion and in many, the corporates.
I'm living in one of the last ones and here the distribution of income is maybe the worst in the world. I often wonder, how families with an income (of their full time work) of less than the legal minimum, can survive here...
Closed Thread