Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
clones
Gah!!

11-20-2015, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use 'clone' in the very general sense - ie it would be nice to see Pentax emulate the good features of successful cameras like the D750 or D810.

But I guess since the new Pentax has a flippy screen, if it is indeed 36MP, it disqualifies itself from being a D810 clone.
11-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #78
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timautin Quote
Today I went at the Pentax shop in Paris (and bought a 150-450 ), and asked the seller some news about the FF, and:
- he tested it for a few minutes last week (Ricoh Europe's manager came to the store)
- the sensor is the Sony 36 Mp
- the crop mode can be either manual or automatic
- the delay is due to some difficulties with the prism, which should be awsome
- a grip will be available (no big surprise here, bit still good to be sure)

I think I didn't forget anything, if so I'll update the post!
8 years with Pentax - 4x APS-C DSLR's, 7x SLR's, hundreds of different tested, cleaned and repaired FA/DA/M/K/M42 lenses and hours in Lithuanian/Worldwide forums, protecting superior quality of Pentax optics and picture...

And now... ???

If Pentax really will use 36Mpix CMOS sensor in new FF, I'll say "good bye, Pentax", and buy some other brand FF with NO MORE, than 20Mpix.

Because I don't believe in miracles, I know:
big pixel = good sensitivity, good DR, good colors... small pixel = sh...
16Mpix on APS-C was OK; 24Mpix was "error", because make a step down in sensitivity.
Even Canon understood that, and new APSC made with 20Mpix (7D Mk2), and FF with 22.3Mpix (5D Mk3).

We waiting for years this FF, with hope to use it in PRO work - to forget about troubles and work with no STOP. For amateurs works - APS-C is more than enough.

I don't care "super-duper" prisms, many installed card slots, pink color of body, Gorilla Glass, IR, WiFi, or mounted GPS...
I do not need 36MPIX in one frame, usable in ISO400-800... If I need panorama in 36Mpix-360Mpix, I'll due this with few shoots, using only best optical part of frame.
For my printed works in 90cmx60cm 16Mpix sensor is big enough. Even, when i printing larger than 1m prints, i know, how to make shot and how to edit, to get good Quality.
Pixels - not most important thing in camera.

In First FF I ONLY NEED GOOD QUALITY of picture, in comparison with other brands. Same or better - ISO, colors, AF, speed, DR...
Otherwise - what's point to stay with Pentax ?

I still have a hope, to this rumor is just one more mistake...

P.S.
My dream is FF camera with 10-15Mpix sensor for Superior DR and Sensitivity. A7S ? Maybe...

P.P.S. Sorry for my gramar. I never study english.
Užtat žemaitieška galiu šnekieti
Да и русский мне как родной

Last edited by gedasst; 11-20-2015 at 04:38 PM.
11-20-2015, 04:36 PM   #79
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gedasst Quote
I'll say "good bye, Pentax", and buy some other brand FF with NO MORE, than 20Mpix.
You'd need to buy a reasonably old model or a top of the line Nikon D4s
16Mpix on APS-C was good
36mp FF would have the same pixel size as 16mp APS-C
Even Canon understood that
5D Mark III - 3 years old, tech has advanced a lot in three years, look at their top-of-line (after 1D series), 5DS has 50mp!!!
many of installed card slots
Two slors are very usefull for pros - one card fails, and you are writing to 2 cards - no problem, else: Oh ****!.
what's point to stay with Pentax ?
If you have a collection of glass and many other things.

11-20-2015, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
once it's in an ad it's the truth...
Actually Norm, the truth requirements are higher for advertisements than anything else, because it is a real crime to falsely advertise anything. The last hurdle to be cleared to place an advertisement is the legal department. Now, if the viewer of an advertisement wants to form an association between the beautiful model or happy family and a particular product, then the perpetrator and victim of the crime are the same, but if the advertiser is careless, they can still face legal sanctions and worse, become a target of ridicule. Basically, false advertising only works when the target wants to believe something he or she knows is false. Something like a magic diet or aphrodisiac deodorant.

On the other hand, an employee of the advertiser can verbally say almost anything he or she wants in a private setting without consequence, as long as no money changes hands. I've been in the marketing game a long time; I've walked the boundaries of what can and cannot be said many times.
11-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #81

It would great if someone had a Pentax Shop in Ontario instead of Henrys or Vistec or Whoever Else doesn't sell Pentax......getting tired of no one selling Pentax....
11-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #82
retired nerd
Loyal Site Supporter

8 years with Pentax - 4x APS-C DSLR's, 7x SLR's, hundreds of different tested, cleaned and repaired FA/DA/M/K/M42 lenses and hours in Lithuanian/Worldwide forums, protecting superior quality of Pentax optics and picture...

And now... ???

If Pentax really will use 36Mpix CMOS sensor in new FF, I'll say "good bye, Pentax", and buy some other brand FF with NO MORE, than 20Mpix.

Because I don't believe in miracles: big pixel = good sensitivity, good DR, good colors... small pixel = sh...
16Mpix on APS-C was good; 24Mpix was "error", because make a step down in sensitivity.
Even Canon understood that, and new bodies made with 20Mpix (7D Mk2), and FF with 22.3Mpix (5D Mk3).

We waiting for years this FF, with hope to use it in PRO work - to forget about troubles and work with no STOP. For amateurs works - APS-C is more than enough.

I don't care "super-duper" prisms, many of installed card slots, pink color of body, Gorilla Glas, IR, WiFi, or mounted GPS...
I do not need 36MPIX in one frame, usable in ISO400-800... If I need panorama in 36Mpix-360Mpix, I'll due this with few shoots, using only best optical part of frame.
For my printed works in 90cmx60cm 16Mpix sensor is big enough. Even, when i printing larger than 1m prints, i know, how to make shot and how to edit, to get good Quality.
Pixels - not most important thing in camera.

In First FF I ONLY NEED GOOD QUALITY of picture, in comparison with other brands. Same or better - ISO, colors, AF, speed, DR...
Otherwise - what's point to stay with Pentax ?

I still have a hope, to this rumor is just one more mistake...
Obviously you get to decide that for yourself.

However, I would suggest that you do some research.

My back-of-envelop calculations show that a 36MP FF sensor has roughly the same pixel density that my 16MP APS-C sensor does.
Each generation of cameras shows better dynamic range, better color depth, lower noise than the previous generation did.
I loved Canon lenses, but I left them for Pentax because Canon bodies, especially including their sensors, just haven't kept up with what Pentax is doing.

But you get to choose,
11-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Actually Norm, the truth requirements are higher for advertisements than anything else, because it is a real crime to falsely advertise anything. The last hurdle to be cleared to place an advertisement is the legal department. Now, if the viewer of an advertisement wants to form an association between the beautiful model or happy family and a particular product, then the perpetrator and victim of the crime are the same, but if the advertiser is careless, they can still face legal sanctions and worse, become a target of ridicule. Basically, false advertising only works when the target wants to believe something he or she knows is false. Something like a magic diet or aphrodisiac deodorant.

On the other hand, an employee of the advertiser can verbally say almost anything he or she wants in a private setting without consequence, as long as no money changes hands. I've been in the marketing game a long time; I've walked the boundaries of what can and cannot be said many times.
I agree--"official" to me does not mean a lone rep said something at a trade show one time. But anyway, I personally think a lot of the hand-wringing about the number of megapixels on the forthcoming FF is pointless. Okay, they probably won't come out with a super-sensitive 12mp a la Sony A7s or super-resolution a la 5Dsr--but they will come out with a high-quality version of whatever sensor they choose! What's the last Pentax with a dog of a sensor? I just think we're splitting hands and worrying when it's not warranted.

11-20-2015, 04:55 PM   #84

I keep thinking Terry Pratchet knows a lot about all sort of things and the universe and he told us the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is 42. ^^
11-20-2015, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #85
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AOCO Quote
I keep thinking Terry Pratchet knows a lot about all sort of things and the universe and he told us the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is 42. ^^
Wrong!
Douglas Adams told us the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is 42.
11-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #86

I thought it was 9..
11-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Because I don't believe in miracles, I know:
big pixel = good sensitivity, good DR, good colors... small pixel = sh...
Nope, that's not how it works. The 36 MP Nikon D810 has significantly better DR, and equally good low light performance as, for example, the Canon 5D Mk III.

QuoteQuote:
16Mpix on APS-C was OK; 24Mpix was "error", because make a step down in sensitivity.
Then why does the 24 MP Nikon D7100 have better DR and noise performance than the 16 MP Pentax K5?

QuoteQuote:
Even Canon understood that, and new APSC made with 20Mpix (7D Mk2) ...
Yep, and the 7D Mk II has among the worst image quality in the APS-C world.

QuoteQuote:
Yep, and tons of pros use something like the Nikon D810.

QuoteQuote:
I still have a hope, to this rumor is just one more mistake ...
There is no way that Pentax will pick a sub-24 MP sensor. Every single competitor has moved up and beyond that, and high resolution sensors nowadays have impressive high ISO performance and DR. There is no reason to artificially limit oneself to lower resolutions.

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 11-20-2015 at 05:25 PM.
11-20-2015, 05:25 PM   #88
Forum Member

OK. You are my new little hope
Maybe...

"You'd need to buy a reasonably old model or a top of the line Nikon D4s"
Sony, Canon - maybe, Nikon - noway.

"36mp FF would have the same pixel size as 16mp APS-C."
It's mean - quality similar, like a K-5II? What is reason to buy bigger and more expensive DSLR ? Not a better Quality ? (don't tell me about DOF).

"5D Mark III - 3 years old, tech has advanced a lot in three years, look at their top-of-line (after 1D series), 5DS has 50mp!!!"
I'm cleaning sensors, repairing lenses and calibrating monitors for professional photographers in Lithuania, and I'm member of few photo-comunities for many years. In my PC is RAW files of almost every camera models of last 5-7 Years, made for tests by my self. Sorry, but 50MPS is for BOYS...
If NOT??? Why Canon/Nikon flagmans using ONLY 16~18Mpix?

"Two slots are very usefull for pros - one card fails, and you are writing to 2 cards - no problem, else: Oh ****!."
I know - many usefull things have Pentax. Especially - WR and SR. Just - is not a most important.

"If you have a collection of glass and many other things."
Oh, no. I'm not a collector. I'm very active user
My K-5 shoot already ~160'000 times. My K-x, K100D is dead already... K-7 didn't remember actuation.
I'm testing lenses for myself or friend, cleaning, repairing, sometimes I'm changing focus distance of some old lenses for Nikon/Sony mount's to infinity.
At this moment I have only 4 Pentax AF lenses and ~20 manual focus lens. If I'll buy other camera brand, I'll use my lenses on new one

Last edited by gedasst; 11-20-2015 at 05:37 PM.
11-20-2015, 05:31 PM   #89
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

I beloved colors of Pentax and many Manual Focus lenses, witch is not compatible with Nikon mount
And I hate new Nikon zoom's coutings colors. Terrible - only for Press. Sony A7s -maybe, Nikon D4s - no.
Didn't think of mirrorless.
It's mean - quality similar, like a K-5II? What is reason to buy bigger and more expensive DSLR ? Not a better Quality ? (don't tell me about DOF).
Yes pixel sizes would be the same size - similar quality per pixel.
The FoV would be different with FF and with the FF you will overall have better performance ya da da
I've tested already two Nikon's 24Mpix FF, witch is not so old - D610's is worst than K-5's, and D750's is just little better (in colors, shadows, high iso) than K-5. 5D Mk3 is much better than D750 (IMHO).
Yes, other factors than MP and pixel size affect sensor IQ.
I know - many usefull things have Pentax. Especially - WR and SR. Just - is not a most important.
We agree

---

If I were you, I'd get the new Pentax FF (when it comes) and if you don't like the IQ, return it to the store and jump ship!

Last edited by bertwert; 11-20-2015 at 05:38 PM.
11-20-2015, 05:55 PM   #90
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
If I were you, I'd get the new Pentax FF (when it comes) and if you don't like the IQ, return it to the store and jump ship!
My K-5 was dropped on concrete and broken body. I need new camera as fast as possible. In daylight I'm still using K-7, but when i need work inside or in dusk, I'm spending money for rent (Canon, Nikon - in Lithuania is no rent for Pentax). So - I'm know in work pretty good other systems, lenses, flashes.
I'll wait for official announcement of tech spec...

Thank You.
Ačiū (in lithuanian)
Closed Thread