Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #301
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Camera sightings - - I remember when there were quite a few sightings and rumors about a remarkable SLR called the Zunow. Try to find one.
"In 1958, Zunow also introduced a very ambitiously designed 35mm SLR, simply marked "Zunow", whose development had started in 1956.[11] It was the first 35mm SLR camera with auto diaphragm, instant-return mirror, and bayonet mount interchangeable lenses.

Production and capital problems resulted in low production. In the meantime, the production of cine lenses had become the company's main source of income, making it increasingly dependent on the cine camera makers which were its main clients. The bankruptcy of Neoca in January 1960 and that of Arco at the end of the year precipitated the collapse of the company, which closed its doors on January 1st, 1961
" - Wikia entry
Not quite the same conditions as Ricoh.

11-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #302
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax has never said anything about the FF other than Spring, 2016. Everything else we think we know comes from cryptic posts and purported hints from people who claim to know things. The problem is, neither of the two above 'contributors' knows any more than anyone else here (other than one known ambassador) about Pentax or the camera industry or manufacturing or marketing or just business in general. They're just making s&*t up to sound like they know things. Maybe they enjoy reading replies, maybe they're just twisted, maybe they're actual corporate trolls - but whatever they are their posts show up on the internet and the casual reader doesn't know their history.

I wish, if these people didn't have something truthful and insightful to post, they would just stop.
What i worse, is when folks come on the forum and read all these things, and they get back to you from folks you know as some kind of Petnax truth. Nikon and Canon owning buddies saying this and that, and I have to tell them those posts they are referring to are written by people who are less than accurate in their portrayal of Pentax. I've done a lot of speculating on when the FF would come out, that now I wish hadn't. People seem think I know something.

As Yogi said"

"Not only do I not know anything, I don't even suspect anything."

If anything, I've suspected way to much.
11-29-2015, 09:07 AM - 2 Likes   #303
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's funny that when a camera is released with a significant flaw - oil stains, mirror-flap, a mis-aligned baffle - people scream that customers should not be "beta testers" just so a camera can meet the release date.

But when a camera is delayed to (presumably) ensure quality and features, people scream that the manufacturer broke it's promise to release the camera by xxx date.

Relax folks. Pentax is clearly in good hands with a parent company that has demonstrated a greater amount of dedication to the marque since... well, since I bought my K100D in 2007.

Last edited by luftfluss; 11-30-2015 at 12:18 PM.
11-29-2015, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #304
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've done a lot of speculating on when the FF would come out, that now I wish hadn't. People seem think I know something.
Been there done that. For a while I actually did know a few things, but then I didn't any more.

11-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #305
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Been there done that. For a while I actually did know a few things, but then I didn't any more.
I hate it when that happens.
11-29-2015, 04:40 PM   #306

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well then we better close all threads about the FF K-1 since there is mostly speculation in it.
All right, we better stop talking about pentax FF, because it is not yet available. Let's now discussing new concept of DSLR with APS-H sensor, cut from the sensor used in 645Z.
11-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #307

Photos: Albums
I'm just hoping for a set of small gr primes to match...

11-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #308

Photos: Gallery
FF - WiFi or LiFi??

This news just in from ITWorldCanada.com - wondering if the Ricoh/Pentax folks are glomming onto this new development? Maybe for the K-1 II

Forget WiFi – LiFi to transfer data at light speed
Brian Jackson - November 25, 2015
If you’ve ever felt that WiFi speeds just aren’t cutting it for your wireless connectivity needs, well there is light at the end of the tunnel – literally.

A new and faster alternative to WiFi is moving out of research labs and into real world use thanks to Estonian startup Velmenni. The firm offers LiFi, the wireless transfer of data using light, and is outfitting offices in the Estonia capital of Tallinn, reports the IBTimes UK. The company says its LiFi technology can send data up to 1 GBps, faster than today’s best WiFi technology.

LiFi works by increasing and decreasing the brightness of light at a rate faster than is perceptible to the human eye. Any LED light could be used to transmit data if it is wired up to a microchip, as Deepak Solanki demonstrates in this video:

Demo – Visible Light Communication Device for Smartphones from Velmenni on Vimeo.

Jugnu is the product that Velmenni is looking to commercialize, a LED bulb that is configured to provide a LiFi connection. Solanki told IBTimes that his company is working with a private client to deploy LiFi in its office, and it has a solution ready for an industrial environment.

There are certain drawbacks to LiFi compared to WiFi, of course. Because it depends on visible light, the signal doesn’t penetrate walls. It also requires that current lights be retrofitted with microchips to support data transmission.

But on the flipside, the benefits are described as reduced risk for unwanted access because the signal doesn’t bleed beyond physical walls. There’s no interference problems since it’s not competing with other RF signals, and its use is cost effective and energy efficient.

LiFi was first invented by Prof. Harald Haas at the University of Edinburgh in 2011. Since then, he’s spoken about using LiFi as a solution for providing the infrastructure needed to support the Internet of Things and to connect millions of people in the developing world.

Read more: Forget WiFi – LiFi to transfer data at light speed | IT World Canada News
or visit Tech News, Product Reviews & Video Interviews by IT World Canada for more Canadian IT News
11-30-2015, 11:53 AM   #309
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jabber Quote
I'm just hoping for a set of small gr primes to match...
You mean the 31, 43 and 77 limiteds? I think they'll be ready to go.
11-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #310
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hkonowal Quote
This news just in from ITWorldCanada.com - wondering if the Ricoh/Pentax folks are glomming onto this new development? Maybe for the K-1 II

Forget WiFi – LiFi to transfer data at light speed
Brian Jackson - November 25, 2015
If you’ve ever felt that WiFi speeds just aren’t cutting it for your wireless connectivity needs, well there is light at the end of the tunnel – literally.

A new and faster alternative to WiFi is moving out of research labs and into real world use thanks to Estonian startup Velmenni. The firm offers LiFi, the wireless transfer of data using light, and is outfitting offices in the Estonia capital of Tallinn, reports the IBTimes UK. The company says its LiFi technology can send data up to 1 GBps, faster than today’s best WiFi technology.

LiFi works by increasing and decreasing the brightness of light at a rate faster than is perceptible to the human eye. Any LED light could be used to transmit data if it is wired up to a microchip, as Deepak Solanki demonstrates in this video:

Demo – Visible Light Communication Device for Smartphones from Velmenni on Vimeo.

Jugnu is the product that Velmenni is looking to commercialize, a LED bulb that is configured to provide a LiFi connection. Solanki told IBTimes that his company is working with a private client to deploy LiFi in its office, and it has a solution ready for an industrial environment.

There are certain drawbacks to LiFi compared to WiFi, of course. Because it depends on visible light, the signal doesn’t penetrate walls. It also requires that current lights be retrofitted with microchips to support data transmission.

But on the flipside, the benefits are described as reduced risk for unwanted access because the signal doesn’t bleed beyond physical walls. There’s no interference problems since it’s not competing with other RF signals, and its use is cost effective and energy efficient.

LiFi was first invented by Prof. Harald Haas at the University of Edinburgh in 2011. Since then, he’s spoken about using LiFi as a solution for providing the infrastructure needed to support the Internet of Things and to connect millions of people in the developing world.

Read more: Forget WiFi – LiFi to transfer data at light speed | IT World Canada News
or visit Tech News, Product Reviews & Video Interviews by IT World Canada for more Canadian IT News
http://www.ted.com/talks/harald_haas_wireless_data_from_every_light_bulb
11-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #311
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If "LiFi" is real you also need line-of-sight without barriers, with no one carelessly walking into the L-O-S between any transmitter/receiver pair. Outside, the mind boggles at the problems with possible flying objects and distances limited by how tall the transmitting and receiving locations, tall buildings or trees between, the curvature of the Earth, etc. Oh well, as has been said in the past: "it's all done with mirrors."
11-30-2015, 12:10 PM - 2 Likes   #312

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
And 20!
A new version of the FA20/2.8 (with WR, but hopefully not insanely priced) would be one more reason for me to save for the FF.
I'd absolutely love to see a Zeiss Distagon-quality Pentax 20mm f/2.8 that weighs similarly to the newest Zeiss Loxia 21 2.8, NOT the Milvus 21 2.8. But that'd be a dream. I think the Loxia is manual focus anyways.

I know the trend these days is for ginormous, hefty f/1.4 primes with flawless image quality, (Sigma Art, Zeiss Otus) ...however I hope Pentax doesn't lose sight of one of their nice selling points, the AF, all-metal lenses that are as small as a 35mm film rangefinder lens. This really is a delightful system when you see what you can do with just 2-3 super-light yet rock-solid primes.
11-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #313
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Outside, the mind boggles at the problems
Biggest problem is going to be limited range (even with a clear line of sight) because the light source is incoherent. There are techniques for removing "noise" from light reflected from walls and ceilings, so this technology may have some applications within a single room, but I suspect the outdoor range of li-fi is going to be much shorter than wi-fi with equal power output. When I was in South Dakota a couple of years ago, I toured a decommissioned Minuteman command center and our guide was explaining how extremely low frequency radio waves could be transmitted underground for thousands of miles. You certainly couldn't stream video that way, but it was capable of sending launch codes before the command center was obliterated.

So I guess there really is no FF news to talk about.
11-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #314
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote

So I guess there really is no FF news to talk about.
That's a good thing. We can continue to make up our own FF news.
11-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We can continue to make up our own FF news.
But if we make it up can we still call it news?
Closed Thread