Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 134 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is what Sony HAS to do to justify their recent dilutive $3.9BBN stock and bond issue.
"Sony said much of the proceeds will be spent to raise production capacity for image sensors used in smartphones, including Apple Inc.’s iPhone and Samsung Electronic Co.’s Galaxy." ~ Wall Street Journal June 30,, 2015
The shares and convertible bonds were priced and issued August 17th

Last edited by monochrome; 12-05-2015 at 07:51 AM.
12-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #407
Pentaxian

If Sony becomes the only sensor game in town, it will have the other camera makers at its mercy. No. Just no.
12-05-2015, 05:10 PM   #408
Pentaxian

The sensor sector is concentrating. CMOSIS, the company that designed the sensor in Leica M (Typ 240), was just acquired by ams AG:

PR ams announces completion of transaction to acquire CMOSIS Friday 04 December 2015 / Press Releases / Press Center / Home - ams AG
12-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #409
Veteran Member

"The avalanche has already started!"

12-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #410
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I know it's about sensors, but also there they are below 50 % marketshare for sensors. The sensor market is more then just our camera's. Toshiba is maybe in a situation where bankruptsy is very close, so selling parts is a way to avoid that.
50% of marketshare is way too much influence. In early industrialization in the US, they had a term "Robber Barons" that was applied to company CEO's who had amassed such an influence in a particular market area, that they could demand exorbitant prices for their product. Giving any one company too much influence is bad policy for other reasons. What if Sony decided to buy Toshiba and build one single giant manufacturing plant for sensors. Perhaps an earthquake or a terrorist could disable that single plant and cause some very painful supply problems world wide. "free markets" have never been free, for good reason.
12-06-2015, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #411
Banned

Photos: Gallery
90 %

Well ASML is the maker of lithograph machines that producer those chips. Nikon is one of the competitors, but not so good. This technology is very advanced and not easy to build up. ASML locatie Near my town has a marketshare of 90 % at the time. I think it is an illusion to think that the next step in production can be done by multiple small players for the long run.

paper about ASML
12-06-2015, 06:17 AM   #412
Pentaxian

Not multiple small players, no, but at least three big ones so there is no monopoly if one goes under for some reason.

12-06-2015, 06:19 AM   #413

Well ASML is the maker of lithograph machines that producer those chips. Nikon is one of the competitors, but not so good. This technology is very advanced and not easy to build up. ASML locatie Near my town has a marketshare of 90 % at the time. I think it is an illusion to think that the next step in production can be done by multiple small players for the long run.

paper about ASML
I use to help me a machine translation.
Everything you say interests me very much, but my real concern ... is the price! Power full Pentax format for a reasonable price. I have many goals compatible full-size, brand Pentax, Sigma and Tamron, eg a 2.8 24-70 Sigma and Tamron 70-200 2.8 ... but if the device is too expensive, I will sell everything to me turn to the Sony A7 II for which I also have many objectives. But older on average ...
Pentax is my preference, but ...
Ideally, in my opinion, would be two full-size, one for "professionals", one for "experts".

Who would have an idea of the price ... or prices?
12-06-2015, 06:36 AM   #414
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by domino48 Quote
I use to help me a machine translation.
Everything you say interests me very much, but my real concern ... is the price! Power full Pentax format for a reasonable price. I have many goals compatible full-size, brand Pentax, Sigma and Tamron, eg a 2.8 24-70 Sigma and Tamron 70-200 2.8 ... but if the device is too expensive, I will sell everything to me turn to the Sony A7 II for which I also have many objectives. But older on average ...
Pentax is my preference, but ...
Ideally, in my opinion, would be two full-size, one for "professionals", one for "experts".

Who would have an idea of the price ... or prices?
Don't ask for price, people have no clue and will say bullshit. You can't base decision on that.
12-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #415
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The sensor sector is concentrating. CMOSIS, the company that designed the sensor in Leica M (Typ 240), was just acquired by ams AG: PR ams announces completion of transaction to acquire CMOSIS Friday 04 December 2015 / Press Releases / Press Center / Home - ams AG
ams AG ? Looks like it's located in Austria

---------- Post added 06-12-15 at 20:35 ----------

Well ASML is the maker of lithograph machines that producer those chips. Nikon is one of the competitors, but not so good.
Canon 's also in that business, at least they make those huge lenses that equip photo-lithography steppers (larger lenses than the ones for cameras).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-06-2015 at 12:45 PM.
12-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #416
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timautin Quote
Today I went at a Pentax shop in Paris (and bought a 150-450 ), and discussed about the FF, and here are some rumors:
- the sensor will probably be 36 Mp
- the crop mode can be either manual or automatic
- the prism should be awsome
- a grip will be available (no big surprise here, bit still good to be sure)

I think I didn't forget anything, if so I'll update the post!
manual crop mode is good news.
12-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #417
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
manual crop mode is good news.
Hardly surprising - every FF ever invented supports the same feature.

I never understood why anyone would ever think that somehow Pentax would force auto-crop.
12-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #418
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

I never understood why anyone would ever think that somehow Pentax would force auto-crop.
If you start getting into the stuff folks worry about, it would be comical, if it weren't real people with real feelings.
12-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #419
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you start getting into the stuff folks worry about, it would be comical, if it weren't real people with real feelings.
This is why the hashtag "first world problems" was invented. In some cases it's criticism; in others, it's self-aware self-mockery.
12-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #420
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

I believe the Nikon D600 had a mandatory cropmode.
Closed Thread