Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2016, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Seems like a beast of a processor. Would be nice of the "K-3 III" used this in conjunction with, say, a 10-11 fps burst rate to make things easier for sports and action. :P
Pentax has to do something along those lines if they are going to keep the K3 line alive.
And I think they will, considering the investment in the magnesium allow body, USB 3 and of course the entire DA series of lenses.

Pentax has to make a compelling APS-C camera that fits in the lineup, and of course blows the doors off everything else in that class.

The K3 line has always been (IMHO), the best APS-C camera out there - except for video.

The new K3 III, if it has enhanced video, will be the 7D killer as well as a few others.

I would not be surprised if we see this at Photokina.

I think Ricoh is about to heat up the dSLR war in a big way.

06-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Pentax has to do something along those lines if they are going to keep the K3 line alive.
And I think they will, considering the investment in the magnesium allow body, USB 3 and of course the entire DA series of lenses.

Pentax has to make a compelling APS-C camera that fits in the lineup, and of course blows the doors off everything else in that class.

The K3 line has always been (IMHO), the best APS-C camera out there - except for video.

The new K3 III, if it has enhanced video, will be the 7D killer as well as a few others.

I would not be surprised if we see this at Photokina.

I think Ricoh is about to heat up the dSLR war in a big way.
Probably only K-70 at Photokina.

This new milbeaut could well be in the K-1. When the sensor doesn't support fast output data for 4k it is simply not possible.
06-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Let's wait for Photokina. It makes little sense to say "probably" when you have zero information

If we were to believe Pentax' marketing material, PRIME IV is a new processor - but is it the Milbeaut m-8m? The only spec we have is the higher operating frequency...
Could it be neither an M-7m nor an M-8m? I think Nikon is using customized designs, and since Pentax introduced an "accelerator unit" with the K-70...
06-15-2016, 01:08 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Probably only K-70 at Photokina...
I don't believe "only K-70 at Photokina" ... it doesn't make any sense, because K-70 will be old news by then and Pentax would have no "splash".
However, I simply do not know.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Let's wait for Photokina. It makes little sense to say "probably" when you have zero information ...
In some sense, it doesn't matter what I say.
What matters is what I do,
and right now the effect of my not knowing is that I decide to do nothing until I do know.

note: Some years ago I served on a jury. Part of the instructions included a legal definition of "reasonable doubt", a definition only a lawyer could love, but it the important words were something like "not doing anything you don't have to do" ... and that precisely describes how I feel right now.

06-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

We're acting on incomplete information all the time. Those wanting a higher-end APS-C DSLR (and willing to pay the higher prices for a newly introduced model) have a good reason to wait until Photokina. I decided to wait - and did it for several years - for what's now the K-1, when I only heard they'll make a FF DSLR.
06-15-2016, 02:56 PM   #21
Banned

Let's wait for Photokina. It makes little sense to say "probably" when you have zero information
So there is a gap in sensor production due to Sony's factory in the earthquake. Delaying lots of camera's and probably also the K-70. They said wait for an announcement in july for availability. Maybe that will be in august, so very close to Photokina. So you have the K-1 at CP+ and maybe K-70 at Photokina. Anything else up their sleeves.... I would save for next years CP+.

In 2014 there was K-S1 and in 2012 the Ķ-30 (from august) and the moderate upgrade K-5ii and K-5iis. There should also be a new Theta and how many new gear could be under the one Sun? Or a K-1 Silver Limited Edition (or Gun Metal).
06-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Are you saying Pentax should put the "K-3 III" on hold?

06-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #23
mee
Veteran Member

Photokina occurs closer to October (very end of Sept)... just fyi.
06-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you saying Pentax should put the "K-3 III" on hold?
IIRC there was a post last fall begging Pentax to stop this FF project, which was certain to bring down financial ruin on Pentax.
06-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #25
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IIRC there was a post last fall begging Pentax to stop this FF project, which was certain to bring down financial ruin on Pentax.
Which probably shows we should all spend less time here, because the opinions within are rather worthless.

Even if they had been correct, what would they have won?
06-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I don't think it is in the K-1, or we would have seen better video performance

Yep, better performance full stop. It's similar to the D810.

It would also why the price was so good ... they could get a much better deal on a mature piece of technology, and not have to delay the K-1 while it was being tested.
06-15-2016, 08:45 PM   #27
rlatjsrud

Then we should wait for K-1ii in 2018...
06-15-2016, 09:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

What type of usb is supported by the Processor?
K3 USB 3.0
K1 USB 2.0 if this processor supports usb3 it can't be in the K1.
06-16-2016, 12:25 AM   #29
Banned

Any timing about how fast files are 'rocessing inside the K-1? It should be significant faster then K-3 in the amount of data processed if it is this new processor.
06-16-2016, 01:24 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I strongly bet that the baseband processor of the K1 is exactly the same as the one using in the K3. And the co-prossessor shown in the K70 as hardware accelerator was implemented in the K1 to cope with the larger 36Mp files. Now, they had this co-prossessor in the K70 because it's reuse, it cost them little in terms of development. Also, the SD card data rate are the same on K1 as it was in the K3, basically around 30Mbytes/sec.