Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

It's good to see a new product. It's also confusing that they only plan to sell this for laboratory use in Japan. Lab users elsewhere can't buy it, nor can regular photographers.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 11-28-2015 at 08:03 AM. Reason: fixed typo
11-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Might that be a consequence of their B to B culture, or of Japan's and other countries laws in IR photog ?
11-27-2015, 10:43 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure who would want to buy an IR version of a 10,000 dollar camera ? Probably somebody with some deep pockets...
11-27-2015, 11:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Might that be a consequence of their B to B culture, or of Japan's and other countries laws in IR photog ?
If Nikon or Canon copy-cat the 645Z IR, and make a similar IR camera, then release it world-wide, we will find the real answer.

Personally, I suspect the answer lies in Ricoh's insular, domestic market focus for everything photographic, rather than any Japanese laws that stop them from removing the IR filter on Sony sensors.

11-28-2015, 03:10 AM   #20
ogl
Banned

The problem is that 645Z IR could be sold only to organizations under special order. Not for sale for private persons.
11-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #21
Forum Member

If I remember correctly also in the past a Fujifilm camera with infrared and ultra violet capability was sold only under special order.
11-29-2015, 03:32 AM   #22
Forum Member

FUJIFILM USA | FinePix IS Pro : Overview

QuoteQuote:
You hereby acknowledge and agree that your use of the camera's UV and/or IR light energy sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical, forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy, professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education and local and federal government markets.
In addition, you further agree not to use the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal privacy, child endangerment, lewd photography, and or paparazzi like activities.

11-30-2015, 10:16 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by pacu Quote
If I remember correctly also in the past a Fujifilm camera with infrared and ultra violet capability was sold only under special order.
Fuji S5 UVIR, came out after the S5 - at the end, you could buy one new for $500. Anybody could buy it. Just remember to stick the right filters on the front.
12-01-2015, 12:03 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hsteeves Quote
Fuji S5 UVIR, came out after the S5 - at the end, you could buy one new for $500. Anybody could buy it. Just remember to stick the right filters on the front.
UVIR lenses can be very expensive thats actually the main problem from what I know, unless someone is really good with DIY and modify lenses. Coatings influence a lot ultra violet, for a flower aficionado, photos of flowers in infrared (which I did try) and ultra violet can be very interesting.
12-01-2015, 04:59 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pacu Quote
UVIR lenses can be very expensive thats actually the main problem from what I know, unless someone is really good with DIY and modify lenses. Coatings influence a lot ultra violet, for a flower aficionado, photos of flowers in infrared (which I did try) and ultra violet can be very interesting.
That's where my 85mm f/4.5 Ultra-Achromatic comes in handy: NO glass and NO coatings.
12-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
That's where my 85mm f/4.5 Ultra-Achromatic comes in handy: NO glass and NO coatings.
Yep and Pentax also released the IR Camera Nocta in 1966:

Pentax Nocta

Phil.
12-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #27
Forum Member

Now I feel envious. But the DFA 100mm macro will be my only love. Its cheaper that way.
I had no luck with infra red so far, so I will stick with visible range.
01-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Or you could just get around the rules and do a conversion. all these cameras are the standard sensor with the filter removed. sometimes replaces with a specific ir sometimes with plain glass so you can use any variant the old school way. IR conversions are pretty popular. I've not notice the see through clothes thing with mine at all (720nm conversion) but it is a cool camera for landscapes and architecture (I've not had it for long, i'll let you know what i think once the warm weather returns.
Fuji currently sells and IR version of the XT1 done at the factory. My XE! converted cost a whopping $450. One huge advantage if Mirrorless is the ease of accurate focus as it bases the focus on what the sensor sees. I haven't seen one crop up yet but i Imagine someone will do Sony a7 cameras sooner or later
02-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Or you could just get around the rules and do a conversion. all these cameras are the standard sensor with the filter removed. sometimes replaces with a specific ir sometimes with plain glass so you can use any variant the old school way. IR conversions are pretty popular. I've not notice the see through clothes thing with mine at all (720nm conversion) but it is a cool camera for landscapes and architecture (I've not had it for long, i'll let you know what i think once the warm weather returns.
Fuji currently sells and IR version of the XT1 done at the factory. My XE! converted cost a whopping $450. One huge advantage if Mirrorless is the ease of accurate focus as it bases the focus on what the sensor sees. I haven't seen one crop up yet but i Imagine someone will do Sony a7 cameras sooner or later
Pentax is selling a monochrome IR camera - I hope. You need to design a new sensor without RGB covers or shave the RGB filter off the sensor. Removing the IR filter is not doing the trick. You can get IR conversions with RGB shaving online for a couple thousand $. This camera is valuable for certain applications looking for extended IR range or even a monochrome camera. There still is a huge difference between RGB sensors and monochrome sensors.

---------- Post added 14-02-16 at 06:58 PM ----------

Probably quartz glass in your UV lens. But I am not sure about the UV response of a silicaon sensor.
02-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Probably quartz glass in your UV lens. But I am not sure about the UV response of a silicaon sensor.
Indeed, quartz and fluorite. But I'm using the lens outside its intended usage... (i.e. no scientific or UV/IR work).