Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2015, 01:23 AM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
Both lenses discontinued in 2004... It's not solid somehow, they could have used a new, modern lens instead.
True.. but the note is talking about compatibility so they HAD to use old lenses no matter what in order to show this.

12-11-2015, 01:41 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
new image and samples posted

new background image

image sample from K-1 with smc PENTAX-FA★ 85mm F1.4[IF]

image sample from K-1 with smc PENTAX-FA★ 24mm F2AL[IF]

---------- Post added 12-11-2015 at 01:43 AM ----------

Crop mode selectable, DA lenses can be used in FF mode according to new text:

All K-mount lenses are compatible
11.12.2015 NEW

The new Pentax 35mm full-frame digital SLR camera is equipped with an image sensor for 35 mm full-size images and uses the K-mount lens system. The camera is compatible with all K-mount lenses, such as the FA lenses, which can be used with the same angle of view as with 35mm film cameras. As for the APS-C-size image sensor, the DA lens series, the cropping function makes it possible to use the APS-C-size center portion of an image. By changing the settings, you can also choose a 35mm full-frame angle of view. The D FA lens series—which is beautifully suited to digital images—covers all of these capabilities, including, of course, the 35-mm full-size angle of view.

source
Full Frame by PENTAX | RICOH IMAGING

Sorry for repeating, just seen it's already been posted in a page ago. Repetition doesn't hurt but I take no credit for this!
12-11-2015, 01:54 AM   #228
Banned

Photos: Gallery
And the FA*85mm/f1.4 is a great lens to show.
12-11-2015, 02:04 AM   #229
Pentaxian

Interesting, and pretty good news for legacy glass holders

12-11-2015, 02:04 AM   #230
Veteran Member

I will love to see the Pentax logo with a gray/metal plate kind of like they did with the 645Z .. it makes the camera stand out of the other DSLR models.. but.. according to the las pictures is plain black.. :/

12-11-2015, 04:47 AM   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
I will love to see the Pentax logo with a gray/metal plate kind of like they did with the 645Z .. it makes the camera stand out of the other DSLR models..
Oh noes! Please instead remove all high contrast branding (or just all branding). Having a camera that stands out in any way is ONLY a bad thing. There are so many ways a strong logo is bad for yourself and your photography.

Design niggle. That bevel around the logo is butt ugly on the full frame.
12-11-2015, 05:16 AM   #232
Pentaxian

no exif

12-11-2015, 06:18 AM   #233
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The point was backwards compatibility, and you wanted them to use a new lens?
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
True.. but the note is talking about compatibility so they HAD to use old lenses no matter what in order to show this.
Well, it is mine reflexion, however, it is all about their message, as this teaser is just a part of the marketing campaign. If they wanted to stress on history and compatibility, they could have used a K series lens (like SMC 50mm f1.2), or at least M 50mm, that was shown on LX, clearly stressing that this is the historical lens, compatible with the modern camera. If they wanted to show that AF is compatible, they could have used FA Limiteds, old lenses (like FA 43mm, available since 1997), but still in production, or at least available new. FA*85mm and FA*24mm are neither fish, nor meat. They do not have modern (i.e. currently available) equivalents, and, at least for me, they are more "discontinued" than "historical" in terms of history.

Yes, the message shows that oldish lenses are compatible; however, it indirectly stresses on current lack for such great lenses, and this emotion (sadness?) for me was stronger than presented rationale. Especially thinking, that these are the first officially presented pictures, made with the new FF camera and with discontinued lenses. This campaign (as many modern ones) is based on emotions, and I am not sure they have translated it correctly, unless Ricoh is going to reintroduce these lenses again…

As I said, it is just mine opinion, YMMV.

A.
12-11-2015, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #234
Pentaxian

No matter what they do, someone will find a negative twist on it

IMHO all the points you're touching are rather favoring their approach, instead of the presented alternatives.
- FA* vs K/M - owners of FA*s are much more likely to be interested in the K-1, or at least much more concerned if their lenses would work properly. K/M lenses are just too old, too cheap.
- FA Limiteds are still available new; people would assume (without being explicitly told) that they work just fine.
- FA*s not having (yet) modern equivalents means it's even more important to know if they can work properly.

Again, this is about backwards compatibility; and it makes no sense to complain that an article about backwards compatibility talks about discontinued lenses.
They will probably say something about current/modern lenses, at some point. If they keep up with the updates, there should be a lot of small articles until CP+...
12-11-2015, 07:00 AM - 2 Likes   #235
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The point was backwards compatibility, and you wanted them to use a new lens?
I wonder if they'll ship it with an M42 adapter.

(We still haven't seen the inside face of the mount. I live in hope.)
12-11-2015, 07:09 AM   #236
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
Crop mode selectable, DA lenses can be used in FF mode according to new text
Yay!

12-11-2015, 07:19 AM   #237
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
Crop mode selectable, DA lenses can be used in FF mode according to new text
You'd think this would be a given, having provided a position on the great big new dial for it! I seriously do hope it's just DA Crop, full, or auto out of the box to keep things simple - perhaps with the option of choosing other things in menu and saving to user settings if you really, really want. But IMO anyone who wants that many options should be cropping in post anyway.
12-11-2015, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #238
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Design niggle. That bevel around the logo is butt ugly on the full frame.
No it's not
12-11-2015, 07:38 AM   #239
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
no exif
Next step
12-11-2015, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #240
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
no exif