Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2015, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #421
Pentaxian

Critically tight framing while hand holding the camera, and at shutter speeds where camera shaking is an issue? Really?

12-23-2015, 04:40 AM   #422
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's for genious only
12-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #423
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Forgive my ignorance, but is it really possible that your composition will change once you've made the shot without moving the camera because of IBIS?
When the exposure starts the sensor will be located in mid position, thus able to move in any direction to compensate for camera movement.
If the camera moves during the exposure the SR will try to keep the projected image on the same spot as is was originally, that is in middle.
So no, the composition will not change due to SR, quite the contrary, the SR will try to keep the original composition even if the camera moves.

I guess the composition can change if you move the camera while the mirror flips up and before the shutter opens, but that is not the SR fault.
12-23-2015, 01:52 PM   #424
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I guess the composition can change if you move the camera while the mirror flips up and before the shutter opens, but that is not the SR fault.
This happens to me quite a bit, even with my K-01, which obviously has no optical finder (or mirror, for that matter).
It comes from any camera that is not showing the SR in the viewfinder.
I can't remember if that's a setting on the K-01 or my little Panasonic (also no optical finder or mirror), but I don't like the jerky viewfinder image that comes with the SR on all the time, so I don't set it that way...

Usually I find that I've rotated the camera a bit, so my horizon line ends up a bit skewed.

Still, I'm typically not cropped in super-tight with those photos, so it's not a big deal to fix (and I can usually shoot another frame)

12-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #425
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01 has IBIS capability. In fact, K-01 was the first Pentax to use a new, smaller IBIS technology. Some have said K-01 was a test bed for the technology, which was installed in the K-30/K50 series. Default is ON - you must elect to disable it.

FWIW, my experience has been that since LiveView is straight from the sensor, when SR is enabled the LCD image is more stable than when SR isn't enabled. Of course the opposite is true when the camera is on a tripod.
12-23-2015, 04:18 PM - 2 Likes   #426
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Compared to user shake the risk is negligible.
Pentaxians are always stirred, not shaken.
12-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #427
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
When the exposure starts the sensor will be located in mid position, thus able to move in any direction to compensate for camera movement.
If the camera moves during the exposure the SR will try to keep the projected image on the same spot as is was originally, that is in middle.
So no, the composition will not change due to SR, quite the contrary, the SR will try to keep the original composition even if the camera moves.

That's why I seemed to have been confused with what this guy Hogan had said. I've seen the 5 axis IS demo of an EM-5 prototype and how it held image on video steadily while the camera was being moved up and down. Ignorant on technology as I am, this guy as I said seemed to confuse me. I think he's just trying to put Pentax down.
12-23-2015, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #428
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
More added to the teaser site today, with specific about the crop modes and a new top view of the camera. Of course, the camera lets you choose which mode to shoot in, which I thought was obvious from the beginning, but there were some doubts expressed.

Full Frame by PENTAX | RICOH IMAGING

Interesting that they chose to use DA lenses for the shots this time - 55, 300mm, and 560mm. It shows that Ricoh is happy to attest to at least some DA lenses being usable on FF.

12-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #429

It may have been obvious, it's still better to be sure ! Glad to see that the 55, 300 and 560 are working well in FF mode.
12-23-2015, 05:42 PM   #430

"The APS-C setting captures all images in an APS-C image size, regardless of the lens**, while displaying a cropping frame in the camera’s viewfinder." (emphasis mine)

Does anyone know if this is something that e.g. Nikon does in their implementation? Is it just another set of LEDs that come on?
12-23-2015, 06:09 PM   #431
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
*shot with a camera under development. larger image's size: 1000px x 667px
So does that mean the FF is real?
12-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #432
Veteran Member

Idk if i read this correctly. If using a crop sensor lens and the camera is in ff mode, it will give you a full frame picture? Anyone else catch that?
12-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #433
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
Does anyone know if this is something that e.g. Nikon does in their implementation? Is it just another set of LEDs that come on?
The Nikon 810 has a red rectangle in the viewfinder showing the field of view when the camera is set to APS-C crop mode (or when on automatic with a DX lens attached). The area outside the frame is not blacked off. It also has 1.2x and 5x4 crop modes, with corresponding rectangles shown in the viewfinder.

---------- Post added 12-24-15 at 01:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Idk if i read this correctly. If using a crop sensor lens and the camera is in ff mode, it will give you a full frame picture? Anyone else catch that?
That's what I took it to mean, though the edges with some DA lenses might not be great. But it does allow one to crop in post to one's satisfaction.
12-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #434

12-23-2015, 07:49 PM   #435
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
"The APS-C setting captures all images in an APS-C image size, regardless of the lens**, while displaying a cropping frame in the camera’s viewfinder."
AFAIC, that's the ideal solution, i.e., one does not want the outside (FF) area to be blacked out, so that one can anticipate subjects moving into the (APS-C) frame.

It is also great to hear that Ricoh went with three crop modes (Auto, FF, APS-C) giving one all the options one could wish for.

Great news, overall!