Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2015, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #76
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Judging by the appearance of the camera, buttons and so on... I think they're going after the big boys. Also Kenpo said... this FF will be aimed at pro's. But this doesn't mean it will not have a reasonable price. Would you pay for a 6D, or... would you pay a bit more for THE BEST FF CAMERA IN THE MARKET? come on Pentax... I have a feeling they will nail it with this one.

---------- Post added 1st Dec 2015 at 01:35 ----------

It will be. Trust me son... 5 beers now so easy to get excited. But BEAST it will be.
Yes this has been the Pentax model for a while, one tier up from whatever market they are competing against on price. K10D was priced about like Digital Rebel of the time, yet was much more camera, K30 offered 2 dials and WR in the price segment that only offered 1, to just name 2 examples. I think this FF will not play on a level field, being priced less than similar quality cameras from CaNikon, that's the Pentax way.

11-30-2015, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Maybe they've listened to Ron and they've watched the video from Ed a few years ago, it's going to be a 864mm2 square sensor format (30mmx30mm ~ 35mm x 24mm), but $20 cheaper and so that you can use a larger portion of the APSC lenses. Could also be a 4:3 ratio. Then it could not be compared to Nikon and Canon offerings, because it would be unique.
I will buy that The square format that is.

I have this funny feeling though this will not come to pass
11-30-2015, 04:08 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I will buy that The square format that is.

I have this funny feeling though this will not come to pass
Better yet... triangular sensor ? finally bring a meaning to that exposure triangle ??
11-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #79
maw
Pentaxian

I had, so the LX that the MX, (my MX sleep well) until two years ago, then I sold it (LX), was the camera that was probably the biggest rival of Canon and Nikon especially,
(in the era film ''Nikkormat EL'' was my first Nikon until the ''Nikon F3 HP''), I believe that the message of Pentax / Ricoh is clear, take back some of the ground lost.
Personally, I wish long life to Pentax (and of course to his owner Ricoh).
I hope also, that Pentax (FF) does not lose some features that make it professional like Leica, in shorts words a Pentax for all season or if you prefer for every taste, leaving some gadgets not really useful.

11-30-2015, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be very happy with square sensor. No more attaching grip or twisting wrist to uncomfortable position. Thats what the grid on the wheel means; one can select landscape / portrait grid in viewfinder.
11-30-2015, 04:50 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Sigh. These basic flaws in marketing material, although trivial, do point to a lack of corporate attention to detail that is a bit worrying, especially for a precision equipment company.
You make a great point there -- a potential customer will take into account ALL of the brand's communication to determine the ultimate value. This is why Apple spends so much time and detail on their packaging, websites, printing, marketing, advertising, and of course their products. OTOH, one of the prime reasons Apple products cost so much is to cover the costs associated with marketing and advertising (ditto for Canon and Nikon). So Pentax has followed a different path: lower prices = lower marketing visibility. I don't see how we can have it both ways: If they spend many millions in marketing and advertising would we be willing to spend an extra 10-20% in product costs? Additionally, if we want superior service would we be willing to spend another 10% on top of that? It's somewhat of a Catch-22. Personally, I'm ok with their current course.

Michael
11-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #82
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Strange they've been so secretive about the name...

I'd be a little surprised if it was anything other than K-1.

11-30-2015, 06:07 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe the name IS the final hurdle. And perhaps a few more things under the hood like software updates they can add to existing one before release. Well whatever it is, what's posted on the site confirms the most recent mockup is the final form of the upcoming digital 135
11-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Every tread ends in a stupid discussion *roll eyes* haha! Who cares what lens is on or of its photoshopped...come on..haha!
You should know by now you can't hold back the tide. You just have to let it rise until a couple hundred people have each commented three times

Last edited by monochrome; 11-30-2015 at 06:26 PM.
11-30-2015, 06:57 PM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think it will be a K-line camera. That's strongly associated with APSc now. Some musing . . .

Clearly there's something new and special about this camera - all those references to firsts read like the Milestones list on Asahi Optical Historical Club.

We've had KX, MX and LX as advanced amateur or Pro cameras (save K2DMD) - K, M, and the only L body. The nomenclature could be another 'X' body series.
We've had 67 and 645 so as Mistral75 wrote above it could be a '35' or '135' line.
We're in roughly the 50th year since the Spotmatic introduction - the 'S' body line - so a nomenclature derived from LX will work in honor of the Spotmatic on many levels. But 'S' is assigned to 'special' lines.

We already had Kx, MX-1 --

LX-1 (series)?
11-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't think it will be a K-line camera. That's strongly associated with APSc now. Some musing . . .

Clearly there's something new and special about this camera - all those references to firsts read like the Milestones list on Asahi Optical Historical Club.

We've had KX, MX and LX as advanced amateur or Pro cameras (save K2DMD) - K, M, and the only L body. The nomenclature could be another 'X' body series.
We've had 67 and 645 so as Mistral75 wrote above it could be a '35' or '135' line.
We're in roughly the 50th year since the Spotmatic introduction - the 'S' body line - so a nomenclature derived from LX will work in honor of the Spotmatic on many levels. But 'S' is assigned to 'special' lines.

We already had Kx, MX-1 --

LX-1 (series)?
(1) from the picture, they left little space for a name, so if the name does go there, it must be short (like LX-1)

(2) they have mostly used up the obvious K-number names; even for APS-C, they'll need to move on to some other pattern for the top-tier line.
11-30-2015, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #87
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rullrich Quote
Yes, saw that too. What do they mean by "PENTAX is launching a digital SRL with a brand-new format"?
SRL (repeated several times) .. brand-new format .. etc.

That mean, Asahi-man has checking all the spelling in English, possibly write every informations too. Ricoh was happy to publish.
Trust not on issue? .. see next February .. will be full of frames and uptades
11-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #88
Veteran Member

What we have here is a failure to communicate. The OP has two separate links to different photos of the FF camera, one with what is undoubtedly the 31mm Ltd, the other without a doubt the new DFA 24-70. Can we now move along to more pressing Pentaxian complaints about what is the Holy Grail of cameras for us mere mortals?
11-30-2015, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

writes "SRL" numerous times in a marketing teaser about a new DSLR camera

11-30-2015, 09:27 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Yes, I thought my eyes were playing tricks. But there it is: "SRL" cameras over and over and over in the text...

Ricoh, this makes you look amateurish and sloppy and ridiculous. Do you pay people to write and edit your cut-and-paste marketing material for you? If so, you deserve a refund.