Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 157 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #256
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Nikon's D5
Sounds like an awesome device. But not a direct competitor to the Pentax FF, I think. It is designed to replace the D4s, which is a USD $6000 body, so the D5 will probably cost even more.

I wonder if D5 will meet K-1 in the CP+ 'arena'. Flagship-camera fight!

12-13-2015, 01:33 AM   #257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The Teaser for the Full Frame camera has been updated with a new picture and a short piece about the heritage of Pentax.

Full Frame by PENTAX | RICOH IMAGING

It's interesting that they highlight the LX, as if that embodies what they are aiming for with the new camera.
Still wasting my time. The prsented lenses from February are still not here, so how good is a teaser for spring - teasing a camera thta was on display at more than one trade show.
I know Pentax has to stick to the concept after starting the teaser, but it became a redicolous of buying time.
12-13-2015, 01:40 AM - 2 Likes   #258
Pentaxian

One of the two D FA lenses presented in February is not here, being postponed for improvements; the other is on the market for quite some time. And another D FA was announced and is available.
The camera should be announced at CP+; now, which is better: a reasonably well conceived teaser campaign, or silence?
12-13-2015, 04:48 AM   #259
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
pretty good news for legacy glass holders
Oh happy days...

A big day out for my "Ladies" coming soon.

12-13-2015, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #260
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
Just release it and let every one name his version. It is not the name it is the camera quality and features combined with the reasonable price.
Ricoh should have a naming contest with a new full frame body as the prize for best name
12-13-2015, 10:42 AM   #261
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Ricoh should have a naming contest with a new full frame body as the prize for best name
K2-D. Unfortunately, of the possible variant models, K-X is already taken by a digital Pentax.

I know we've seen what almost certainly looks like K-1 on the body, but K-2 would at least enable numbering of developed versions in ascending even number sequence. Unless of course they are thinking of saving that for the APS-C line and calling the second generation of FF camera something else. But they would have to do wonders of packaging to call the successor the MX-D.

Of course if they DID manage to squeeze full-frame DSLR guts into an MX-sized shell, I would be breaking down the doors of Ricoh HQ to push my money into their hands.
12-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #262
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
If the rumour about the production of the FF already began is true, maybe is late for that contest.

Pentax have used already too many nomenclatures at this point K# (k3), k## (k50), k### (k500), k#### (k1000), plus LX, MZ, K20D, K200D etc... My bet is K1 for this new camera, but anything can be expected.

12-13-2015, 11:29 AM   #263
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Pentax have used already too many nomenclatures
Not really caring what they call it, just give us the product... hands on so we get using it.
12-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #264
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
If the rumour about the production of the FF already began is true, maybe is late for that contest.

Pentax have used already too many nomenclatures at this point K# (k3), k## (k50), k### (k500), k#### (k1000), plus LX, MZ, K20D, K200D etc... My bet is K1 for this new camera, but anything can be expected.
Let's sock it to CaNikon with the K-F*ist.
12-13-2015, 06:28 PM   #265
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Still wasting my time. The prsented lenses from February are still not here, so how good is a teaser for spring - teasing a camera thta was on display at more than one trade show.
I know Pentax has to stick to the concept after starting the teaser, but it became a redicolous of buying time.
We must admit, they did fix their English a bit, and posted two low resolution images that demonstrate camera is capable of using old lenses.

They have chosen to ride towards the "middle of the history" of K-mount lenses, from 1990s, and that at least presupposes later FA Limiteds and newer DFAs will work well.
However, lenses used for these first demo images are not up to digital standards, not for the results modern lenses are capable of.
But they at least reassure — things will work, even using your ancient K-mount glass.

But at least we see user's feedback does work; keep on asking more, and insist that company's voice soundly and timely replaces empty rumours and rumourmongers.

---------- Post added 12-14-2015 at 12:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Sounds like an awesome device. But not a direct competitor to the Pentax FF, I think. It is designed to replace the D4s, which is a USD $6000 body, so the D5 will probably cost even more.
Unfortunately, unless Ricoh comes with another FF camera, Pentax K1 (or however is it named) in people's minds outside the Pentax land, will be a competitor to Nikon's lowest or medium FF offer, which at this time is D610 or D750 or something like that.
Instead of K3Mk3 that some are asking for, Ricoh should quickly release plain vanilla 24 MP FF based solely on K3 tech. Priced in between K3 and K1, as the model "up" from K3Mk2.

---------- Post added 12-14-2015 at 12:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Not the flagship camera fight, but flagship system fight, and Pentax will lose every time.
Nikon's 135 format support is second to none, they have many more modern and up-to-date lenses for the 135 format than Pentax will ever have.
Pray for the new lenses, for really good new lenses to come with this FF: new 50mm (loooong overdue), new 35mm (never had decent one), new 60mm macro (they have a patent for it), new wide (may be zoom for starts), new semi-tele prime (something in between FA77 and DA*200).
Otherwise this will be long awaited, but very boring launch.

On the other hand, they have launched Q system with 5 lenses; they can do same with FF.

Last edited by Uluru; 12-13-2015 at 06:45 PM.
12-14-2015, 04:24 AM   #266
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
We must admit, they did fix their English a bit, and posted two low resolution images that demonstrate camera is capable of using old lenses.

They have chosen to ride towards the "middle of the history" of K-mount lenses, from 1990s, and that at least presupposes later FA Limiteds and newer DFAs will work well.
However, lenses used for these first demo images are not up to digital standards, not for the results modern lenses are capable of.
But they at least reassure — things will work, even using your ancient K-mount glass.

But at least we see user's feedback does work; keep on asking more, and insist that company's voice soundly and timely replaces empty rumours and rumourmongers.

---------- Post added 12-14-2015 at 12:35 PM ----------

Unfortunately, unless Ricoh comes with another FF camera, Pentax K1 (or however is it named) in people's minds outside the Pentax land, will be a competitor to Nikon's lowest or medium FF offer, which at this time is D610 or D750 or something like that.
Instead of K3Mk3 that some are asking for, Ricoh should quickly release plain vanilla 24 MP FF based solely on K3 tech. Priced in between K3 and K1, as the model "up" from K3Mk2.

---------- Post added 12-14-2015 at 12:43 PM ----------

Not the flagship camera fight, but flagship system fight, and Pentax will lose every time.
Nikon's 135 format support is second to none, they have many more modern and up-to-date lenses for the 135 format than Pentax will ever have.
Pray for the new lenses, for really good new lenses to come with this FF: new 50mm (loooong overdue), new 35mm (never had decent one), new 60mm macro (they have a patent for it), new wide (may be zoom for starts), new semi-tele prime (something in between FA77 and DA*200).
Otherwise this will be long awaited, but very boring launch.

On the other hand, they have launched Q system with 5 lenses; they can do same with FF.
It is pretty clear that Pentax is targeting the D800/D810 territory. That probably will mean not as high frame rates as the D750 and certainly not as high as the D5, but quite a bit more resolution. At the same time, the D5 is not a camera for everyone, it is a camera for sports shooters. That is not a group that Pentax has traditionally catered to and even if Pentax released a 16 megapixel 10 fps camera, the lenses aren't there, as of yet, to make it fly anyway.

As for lenses, I am expecting a reboot of the FA limiteds and a new 20mm-ish prime. The 50mm is pretty well covered between the DA 50, the 50 macro, the FA 50, the DA *55, and the FA 43. Maybe they release a new version of the FA 50 down the road, but it doesn't seem like a top priority at this point. The DA 35 f2.4 certainly covers the cheap side of the 35mm focal length, while the FA 31 is close enough that I think a reboot of that lens will cover the expensive side.

As for the boring nature of the launch, it all depends on how you look at it. In all honesty, I am looking forward to a new camera with goal of taking photos and from what I can tell, the camera Pentax is releasing should be capable of doing that and doing it well. What follows then is up to me and the other photographers who purchase it. More excitement and desire for the camera usually follows the release, when real world photographers get their hands on it and start taking photos with it.

I am sure it will not disappoint.
12-14-2015, 06:09 AM   #267
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Flagship system? Can you enlighten us on this? It's pretty new to my ears... (or eyes)
12-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #268
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Flagship system? Can you enlighten us on this? It's pretty new to my ears... (or eyes)
everything else you want except for the camera, think flashes, lenses and all the other stuff
12-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #269
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
everything else you want except for the camera, think flashes, lenses and all the other stuff
The camera is still at the core of the system. Systems can be a competition to see which camera has the most toys, as it were, or they can become an exercise in the peripherals working seamlessly with the body to give the photographer a really easy time of doing very difficult tasks. Too few extra components can reduce the system's flexibility; too many can cause decision paralysis. The ability of a camera to communicate with its peripherals electronically and tell them exactly what they need to do (and when they need to do it) makes planning the system easier in this day and age; the need to make sure the code is glitch-free and the physical parts respond in the right way potentially makes constructing it more difficult.
12-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #270
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
  1. They have to start somewhere
  2. No matter what they do, there's always something

I can't quote the original post because I can't see it. I know you are one of the good guys. Yes, pro's require a full system and pro support. It seems like just yesterday we were hoping they'd just stay in business. Be patient. They'll get there.

But don't over-sell this, either.