Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 157 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2015, 02:43 AM   #451
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timautin Quote
?? I find the squirrel and deer shots perfectly sharp (and I think I'm quite demanding on this point). Don't forget that they are downsized from (probably) 36Mp (or 16Mp for the APSC-C mode ones) to 1000px.
totally agree!

12-24-2015, 02:56 AM   #452

?? I find the squirrel and deer shots perfectly sharp (and I think I'm quite demanding on this point). Don't forget that they are downsized from (probably) 36Mp (or 16Mp for the APSC-C mode ones) to 1000px.
Yes, right, totally sharp. But sharpness isn't what I am talking about, it's rather the kind of presentation that's my concern, and here I dare to say that I would expect a little more. The pictures of the camera are cool, the rest isn't so much.
12-24-2015, 03:02 AM   #453
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Think about it a bit, folks. With an optical viewfinder how would you mask off (black out) the cropped portions? With an LCD or a mechanical rectangular iris? LCDs use a polarizing light effect and have a polarizing filter over them. If you don't believe me take your polarizing filter (circular or linear) and look at any LCD display and rotate the filter. Or take apart a device with a LCD screen and remove the sheet of plastic (polarizing filter) over the display and see if the figures still appear on the screen. So if you put a polarizing filter somewhere in the optical path between the mirror and eyepiece guess what is going to happen when you put a polarizing filter in front of the lens.

So either you use an EVF, put crop marks on the ground glass or us virtual image projection system the same as how the focus points are done.

So unless the FF camera has an EVF
...or a variable magnification OVF.

For that to work, the full frame image would have to be very bright, which I think we're all hoping for, so that the APS-C crop would be acceptably bright. The viewfinder optics surely wouldn't be all that complex, but they'd be optimised for the two settings. Variable magnification eyepieces were common in early digital and film viewfinder cameras, including my little Digital Ixus.

---------- Post added 24th Dec 2015 at 09:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rullrich Quote
Yes, right, totally sharp. But sharpness isn't what I am talking about, it's rather the kind of presentation that's my concern, and here I dare to say that I would expect a little more. The pictures of the camera are cool, the rest isn't so much.
I haven't seen many particularly inspiring official photos from Pentax since the Eyes of Pentax campaign in the 1970s or 80s.
12-24-2015, 04:13 AM   #454
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Simpler, use mechanical parts like they did at the time of Panorama mode (Z1p, MZ5 etc.).

I would have liked 1.2x and 4:5 though. Maybe through firmware updates...

12-24-2015, 04:13 AM - 2 Likes   #455
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
It is SC!
(Squirrel-capable)
Yep, and when the fullframe comes out, the 150-450 will be renamed to HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW SC
12-24-2015, 04:15 AM   #456
Pentaxian

If it doesn't weigh a ton I might consider getting one and using APSC lenses probably a couple of years from now. I hope HD zooms will work well with this camera.
12-24-2015, 05:58 AM   #457
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
So either you use an EVF, put crop marks on the ground glass or us virtual image projection system the same as how the focus points are done.
The English write-up implies that you simply get a crop rectangle mark in the viewfinder to use with APS-C lenses. No optical magic. It will make the use of APS-C lenses fun

'The APS-C setting captures all images in an APS-C image size, regardless of the lens**, while displaying a cropping frame in the camera’s viewfinder.'

12-24-2015, 06:05 AM   #458
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
The English write-up implies that you simply get a crop rectangle mark in the viewfinder to use with APS-C lenses. No optical magic. It will make the use of APS-C lenses fun

'The APS-C setting captures all images in an APS-C image size, regardless of the lens**, while displaying a cropping frame in the camera’s viewfinder.'
Which if you were birding would still be a really good thing, as it would be easier finding your subject with the outside the frame viewing area.

Just because someone has done something, doesn't mean it's necessarily a good thing in every situation.
12-24-2015, 06:09 AM   #459
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Which if you were birding would still be a really good thin, as it would be easier finding your subject with the outside the frame viewing area.
Except that most (all ?) telephotos cover FF anyway. The fun will be when trying to frame with a wide APS-C lens.
12-24-2015, 06:55 AM   #460
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I agree on this point, but I really prefer them to work on the camera than trying to take beautiful pictures ^^. The samples are enough to show the image quality, and that's enough for me !
12-24-2015, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #461

I agree on this point, but I really prefer them to work on the camera than trying to take beautiful pictures ^^. The samples are enough to show the image quality, and that's enough for me !
Yes, right, but to tell the truth it's both thats needs to be done. Maybe not for You and me, who are already Pentaxians, but for potential new customers, and customers think also in a visual way. A company with "imaging" in it's name should take more care of this. These are only minor complains, and the site seems in a permanent state of change, so we don't know whats next. Don't get me wrong, it's not the "I am.." bull... from Nikon that I want, it's a more professional and up-to-date look.
But now off for "Merry X-mas" everybody! Have nice days.
12-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #462
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
King Island Roaring Forties blue in a warm squirrel, fig and rocket salad. A bit of balsamic and some thinly sliced pear. Yum.
I would have phrased that as "Roaring Forties blue in a warm salad of squirrel, fig and rocket. Your way made me think at first reading that you were going to put the cheese in the squirrel (somehow, somewhere, I'm not sure how and I'm not sure I want to know where), and have the salad on the side. AND THEN WHAT?
12-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #463
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Simpler, use mechanical parts like they did at the time of Panorama mode (Z1p, MZ5 etc.).

I would have liked 1.2x and 4:5 though. Maybe through firmware updates...
Shoot in FF mode and make any crop mode in RAW converter.
12-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #464
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Yes. I was wishing for 1.2x and 4:5 crop modes, but upon reflection that just adds complexity. Allow FF on any lens and then you can do anything you want with the image. Simple. I guess my one fear was they try to enforce APS-C crop if a DA lens was mounted to "ensure quality images". But I am happy if they allow FF mode all the time. Gives the flexibility to do what you want.
12-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #465
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Really ? Damn, thank you Ogl, I never ever thought about that possibility...