Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2015, 04:16 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax FF Teaser Updated

The Teaser for the Full Frame camera has been updated with a new picture and a short piece about the heritage of Pentax.

Full Frame by PENTAX | RICOH IMAGING

It's interesting that they highlight the LX, as if that embodies what they are aiming for with the new camera.

11-30-2015, 04:17 AM   #2

Yes, saw that too. What do they mean by "PENTAX is launching a digital SRL with a brand-new format"?
11-30-2015, 04:28 AM   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, it's probably been through a translation company that doesn't know a lot about cameras, because there is quite a few bits of terminology that look wrong. They probably just mean that it's a new format from Pentax DSLRs. I like the overall intent of the article, though. It shows they see the value in Pentax's legacy.
11-30-2015, 04:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bring it on

11-30-2015, 04:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's definitely a bit of "Engrish" in there - some of the phraseology is off, and they should really have got a native English-speaker to clean it up before they put it out. That being said, I've seen technical engineering texts written by English-speakers that managed to have horrible slips sneak through in new editions of the same work. I was acquainted with the author of one of those, and he said he was well aware of it; copyediting and proofing staff in the printing houses have been sacrificed in the name of cost-containment.

What's nice to see, however, is that the camera looks from the front like the "live" version we so recently saw in the glass case. Things are getting Official now.
11-30-2015, 04:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"PENTAX is launching a digital SRL with a brand-new format."

...erm, I think they meant SLR...
11-30-2015, 04:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Coming up in spring 2016!
PENTAX is launching a digital SRL with a brand-new format."

Let the drum roll begin!

Given that the teaser concentrates on the unique Pentax history of innovative, ground breaking camera's, this announcement is about as tantalising as it gets. Brand new format? Surely that isn't Engrish?

11-30-2015, 04:48 AM   #8
Zav
Pentaxian

Oh, that's a FA31 on the picture!
11-30-2015, 04:51 AM   #9

Google translate, Japanese to English, and the phrase becomes: New format SLR birth of PENTAX.....so I guess just new to Pentax!
11-30-2015, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
that's a FA31 on the picture!
If it is, that camera is smaller than the K3.
11-30-2015, 04:55 AM   #11

Seems as though they also call themselves 'Petnax' at the bottom of the Japanese version!! You would have thought someone would check these things!!
11-30-2015, 05:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If it is, that camera is smaller than the K3.
LX professionalism in an MX body, digital style? I both like it and don't like it. I like it because I like small, but as with the MX, a small camera and a big lens sometimes don't make for an ergonomically happy marriage. Then again, anyone who's doing a lot of shooting with large, hefty lenses is probably going to be able to justify a grip, so that will improve things.

It could just be perspective talking - the lens they took the picture with might have embiggened the front of the FA31 mount while shrinking the camera a little. The thing we've seen so far is at least K-3 size or slightly bigger. Notice, however, that the first teaser showed the left side of the mount in shadow and the second teaser without shadow shows a lens on the mount. WHAT SURPRISE ARE THEY HIDING?

If what we have is a camera somewhere between an *ist-DL and a K-5 with a full-frame sensor, a decrippled mount and all the control-knob goodies we've seen in the prototype, there is no way in hell I am NOT getting one. Even if we still have a standard KAF3 mount, I'm still getting one. The only way I'm NOT getting one is if they've ditched screw-drive (and maybe even then if they decripple the mount and offer a split prism).
11-30-2015, 05:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

People, please. The size question is not such a mystery anymore to lead to so many wild speculations.
The comparisons from month ago based on mount diameter are still solid and a good indication for what to expect.
Size comparison between the new Pentax full frame and K-3 DSLR cameras | Photo Rumors

Last edited by MMVIII; 11-30-2015 at 06:05 AM.
11-30-2015, 05:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
LX professionalism in an MX body, digital style? I both like it and don't like it. I like it because I like small, but as with the MX, a small camera and a big lens sometimes don't make for an ergonomically happy marriage.

Case in point:

11-30-2015, 05:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Please cut the time and bring it now