Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Couldn't they at least license a special version of some of the excellent open source stuff out there?
I suspect that PDCU consists of the processing software that is built into Pentax cameras, modified to run on a computer with a quick and dirty UI bolted on. This is why it recognizes all your camera settings,
and can essentially duplicate the JPG output of your camera. I happen to like how Pentax cameras ( and PDCU ) render images better than how some other RAW converters do. But the usability is definitely an issue with
PDCU.

So I think the philosophy there was to give you a program that will allow you to tweak various settings on your RAW file and then get output very similar to what you would have got from your camera had you
used those settings. My guess is that they had limited resources for coding a fancy UI for the thing.

Some Pentax cameras come with an older version of the Silkypix software, so it has a much nicer UI than PDCU ( though it isn't an Adobe product so for some, it may take some getting used to ). But that program is crippled so that it will only open RAW files from those Pentax cameras that it comes bundled with. That can be frustrating if you have multiple Pentax cameras. The nice thing about PDCU is that the latest version will open RAW files from any Pentax DSLR.

Last edited by arkav; 12-07-2015 at 12:03 PM.
12-07-2015, 02:51 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
I suspect that PDCU consists of the processing software that is built into Pentax cameras, modified to run on a computer with a quick and dirty UI bolted on. This is why it recognizes all your camera settings,
and can essentially duplicate the JPG output of your camera
No, that is actually just simple Exif reading (including manufacturer specific section).
12-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #33

Alternatives to Lightroom in Linux.

I used Lightroom for years, but after switching a Linux I had to find an alternative. After testing all free source software that I could find for Linux, finally I purchased Corel AfterShot Pro. It is not as good as Lightroom at all, but it is not bad either. Also, it is noticeable faster than Lightroom and supports hierarchical keywords, something that I like very much. I also use RawTherapee for some photos.
12-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I'm sure the FOSS people will be here soon to tell you how great Darktable and The GIMP are and how you are a terrible person for using commercial software.
Don't you know that paying money to Adobe is like paying money to the devil?! GNU software is the Only True Way (CC BY-SA 4.0) to photographic enlightenment and will make your photographs 147.8% better!

12-08-2015, 05:43 AM   #35

I might have to try the sneaky get installation get a round mentioned earlier!

The k-3 I bought recently included "everything except software". I was thinking I wasn't in need of Silkypix. I totally forgot about PDCU... and as I'm trying to dial in the jpg engine on my k-3 it would be a fantastic tool to use.
12-08-2015, 06:37 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No, that is actually just simple Exif reading (including manufacturer specific section).
Of course the settings are read from the EXIF file. But PDCU can take those settings and produces output that closely matches ( exactly matches? ) what the camera produces using those same settings.

As an experiment, I tried to find settings in other RAW converters that would match the camera/PDCU output. There are always subtle differences in colour/tone/noise/detail. If PDCU isn't using the same engine
as the one that is in the camera, they've done a remarkable job at mimicking it.
12-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
just read page 1 of this Thread.
You dont need a CD at all! you just have to name a volume odr a SD card on your desktop with the name of the original K-3 CD and the updater is working and installing the compleat software.
Name it: "S-SW140" and run the updater. It has no effect to the data on the named volume, so you can use what you want.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! it's been month I ask several french forum about this problem and nowboby was capable to answer.
They prefer to explain why and how I shouldn't use DCU, they could be right but I have K3 Pef that I can't see ( I usually use DNG files ) so DCU is free and should do the work.
You've break month of curse

---------- Post added 12-08-15 at 06:05 PM ----------

I have an other question for those who prefer to use other software.
How the GPS data of the O-GPS1 unit works with LR or DxO or whatever software ?
Is there a map displayed in LR ?

12-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #38
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AOCO Quote
..You've break month of curse
A cynic (not me) could say "that's what you think. Wait till you start using the software"

Just kidding.
12-08-2015, 01:26 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
A cynic (not me) could say "that's what you think. Wait till you start using the software"

Just kidding.
AHAHAHA I've already done with it ! it was just to see 9 Pef files I've done in 2013 in the Paris Photo Expo with a K-3.

12-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AOCO Quote
THANK YOU SO MUCH! it's been month I ask several french forum about this problem and nowboby was capable to answer.
(...)
That's odd. It's a well-known workaround and we discussed it recently on Chassimages.
02-04-2016, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #41

I agree. With PDCU I can get similar result as what I see in the screen of my K-3II.
It must be the same processing engine with a different interface as you say.
Lately I've developing some of my RAW files in camera, with good results.

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
and can essentially duplicate the JPG output of your camera. I happen to like how Pentax cameras ( and PDCU ) render images better than how some other RAW converters do. But the usability is definitely an issue with
PDCU.

So I think the philosophy there was to give you a program that will allow you to tweak various settings on your RAW file and then get output very similar to what you would have got from your camera had you
used those settings. My guess is that they had limited resources for coding a fancy UI for the thing.

Some Pentax cameras come with an older version of the Silkypix software, so it has a much nicer UI than PDCU ( though it isn't an Adobe product so for some, it may take some getting used to ). But that program is crippled so that it will only open RAW files from those Pentax cameras that it comes bundled with. That can be frustrating if you have multiple Pentax cameras. The nice thing about PDCU is that the latest version will open RAW files from any Pentax DSLR.