Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2015, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Lightroom plug-in for Pentax 645Z

Ricoh announced a PENTAX Tethered Capture Plug-In for Lightroom.

While the "Pentax Image Transmitter 2" software has been available before, it is a great sign that Ricoh is actively working on making its products compatible with major software products.

Here's to hoping that this trend will continue and that tethering support will appear for other Pentax cameras as well.

P.S.: The plug-in exists as a Windows version and a Mac version.

Last edited by Class A; 12-10-2015 at 05:58 AM.
12-10-2015, 06:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yessssssss

Nuff said
12-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Here's to hoping that this trend will continue and that tethering support will appear for other Pentax cameras as well.
A K-3/II Lightroom plug-in to follow would be very nice indeed.

I wonder if the code for this 645Z version will be difficult to adapt for other Pentax bodies.

A quick look at the install payload of the windows version (DATA1.CAB) reveals only a small 300k tether_pentax.exe executable, a few Visual Studio support DLLs, and a couple of tiny (only 16k and 4k) text only Lightroom scripting LUA files (pentaxtethertask.lua, info.lua) ...

Last edited by rawr; 12-10-2015 at 09:28 AM.
12-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
the small print indicates that when tethered to lightroom the images will not be written to any sd card. Seems like a risky proposition only writing to the computer it is connected to.

12-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #5

This is awesome for the future!
12-11-2015, 04:08 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I also read that yesterday. And I agree, hopefully the other bodies will get proper tethering tools soon as well. The wifi Eyefi solution is just too bad to be usable.
12-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #7

That is nice! Wish there was a way C1 would start supporting it also.

12-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #8
PDL
Pentaxian

Not for CO

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil Indeblanc Quote
That is nice! Wish there was a way C1 would start supporting it also.
Capture One will not support the Pentax 645 series of cameras as they are direct competitors to the Phase One cameras. Capture One does not support
Hasselblad either, they just recently bought out Mamiya of Japan.

Unfortunately CO does not support detailed information from Pentax (using their term, not mine) 35mm files. In the past I have outlined a method of extracting Camera Lens from PEF files and placing that information into the EXIF LensID field for CO to use. I am using Capture One 9 at present.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
In the past I have outlined a method of extracting Camera Lens from PEF files and placing that information into the EXIF LensID field for CO to use. I am using Capture One 9 at present.
Could you please point us to the respective post?
I've done a quick search but it did not turn up anything.

FWIW, someone posted an an approach to use Capture One with the Pentax 645Z.
12-16-2015, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #10
bxf
Veteran Member

I've done a quick search but it did not turn up anything.

FWIW, someone posted an an approach to use Capture One with the Pentax 645Z.
I normally use EXIFToolGUI/EXIFTool to copy "LensInfo from Makernotes" to EXIF (under MODIFY tab) for DNG and JPG files. Although I haven't done this for PEF files, I can see that EXIFTool supports them, so perhaps this would work just as well.
12-16-2015, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #11
PDL
Pentaxian

EXIFTool Gui and CO

Here is the thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/2...oftware-2.html

#27 is mine with addition/alternative method in #29

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-16-2015, 09:31 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks a lot!

I'll give CO 9 a serious spin as I'd be happy to leave all the issues with Lightroom behind me.

Too bad that Phase One has not been responsive to your bug report regarding the lens data.

My initial encounter with them was a bit demotivating as well, but funnily enough two of the suggestions (better "DNG support" and "Colour to Mask Conversion) I made in April 2014 apparently made it into Capture 9. Probably just a coincidence, but very welcome nevertheless.

If you happen to follow the link above, you'll see a question about comparing the current version of an image to previous image versions. I think this part is very well done in Lightroom and Capture One does not seem to have an equivalent that does not require foresight and does not clutter up the catalogue. I'd be delighted to hear I'm wrong, so please share if you have a tip.
12-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #13

Tethering! I am very glad to hear this long awaited news. I can only hope that this means the K3 and other Pentax bodies will soon benefit from this.

I spent two years at photo school as the only Pentax user. Watching all my instructors and classmates having all the tethered fun made me very jealous. I'm now interning at a commercial studio, and everything is shot via tethering. The "me too" aspect of wanting to tether is one thing. The very obvious benefit of being able to see your work progress on more than a 3 inch LCD is real.

People constantly wrinkle up their faces in confusion when I tell them I have a Pentax. Hopefully this is one more step in the right direction for making that reaction a thing of the past.

Cheers!
12-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 1434 Quote
I spent two years at photo school as the only Pentax user. Watching all my instructors and classmates having all the tethered fun made me very jealous.
Have you tried using PK Tether?

It officially supports your K200 and your K-30 seems to be supported as well.
12-18-2015, 02:57 AM   #15

Have you tried using PK Tether?

It officially supports your K200 and your K-30 seems to be supported as well.
I kinda looked into it... But PK Tether isn't Lightroom or Capture One. All of the tethered shooting I've ever done, or seen done, has been with Canon, Nikon or PhaseOne cameras into either of those pieces of software. I won't really feel satisfied until I can just plug a Pentax into either of them like you can with countless other Canikon cameras. I'm especially interested in official Lightroom tethering as that is mostly what I use.