Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2015, 08:50 AM   #31
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree that the small sensor fixed lens cameras are a very marginal business, and that are being squeezed out by smartphones, but Ricoh has stated before that they intend to continue superzoom and waterproof models. I think these do offer something that phones don't, so there seems to be a market for them. I also don't think they use up much development resources, because they seem to be outsourced to large extent. They are not just produced by other companies, but also the designs appear to be standard platforms to a large extent, for example the Ricoh WG series and the Olympus TG series, or the Pentax MX-1, the Olympus XZ-2 and the Casio EX-10.

I'm a bit sceptical about the future of the Q now that so many compact cameras are coming out with 1 inch sensors. There doesn't seem to have been much effort to build the system in the past couple of years. I'd like to be proven wrong by a fantastic new Q model and some lenses, but I'm doubtful.

Actually, I wasn't trying to predict anything with my little list. I just think there is the possibility for some new products to come in "under the radar" at CES, while everyone is fixated on the FF launch.

12-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #32
Pentaxian

IIRC it happened in the past, some minor stuff being announced before CP+. The possibility is very real.

Yeah, the MX-1 was announced in 7th January 2013, just in time for CES. Some Optios were announced not long after.

Last edited by Kunzite; 12-30-2015 at 09:21 AM.
12-30-2015, 09:28 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Overhere sony is advertising the Xperia Z5 as "the best camera you can make a phone call with! And the next generation smartphones will get better.

There is a market for point and shoot, but they need to bring something that smartphones can't do. Long zooms, good rugget camera's and larger sensors. The Q doesn't fit in one of those and won't be around for a very long time. Maybe one new model and then run sales for some years.
12-31-2015, 09:06 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Long zooms, good rugget camera's and larger sensors. The Q doesn't fit in one of those and won't be around for a very long time. Maybe one new model and then run sales for some years.
Larger sensors require larger lenses,
so the Q system has the advantage that its more extreme lenses
(like the high-quality 08 wide-angle, or the 06 telephoto zoom)
are smaller than lenses of comparable optical quality for bigger sensors.

12-31-2015, 09:22 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Larger sensors require larger lenses,
so the Q system has the advantage that its more extreme lenses
(like the high-quality 08 wide-angle, or the 06 telephoto zoom)
are smaller than lenses of comparable optical quality for bigger sensors.
With larger sensor I think that smaller then 1 inch is in the end to small.
12-31-2015, 09:27 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Overhere sony is advertising the Xperia Z5 as "the best camera you can make a phone call with! And the next generation smartphones will get better.

There is a market for point and shoot, but they need to bring something that smartphones can't do. Long zooms, good rugget camera's and larger sensors. The Q doesn't fit in one of those and won't be around for a very long time. Maybe one new model and then run sales for some years.
I agree 100%.

As I said on another thread, in the past month I've taken more pictures with my Q-7 than with my K-30, simply because I take it more places (and it gives me better results than my cell phone does).,
There is no reason for Pentax not to produce a long zoom, but apparently they have decided not to.
Perhaps preparing for the FF camera has sucked up all their resources.
If they don't expand their lens line, I'm not sure I see a reason for them to make even one more model.
As I have said on several threads, I am disappointed, but it is their company and they get to make that decision.
12-31-2015, 09:28 AM   #37
Pentaxian

With larger sensor I think that smaller then 1 inch is in the end to small.
It's the IQ versus size compromise,
and of course what's worth producing depends on both the market and the marketing.
At any rate, I'm getting better quality now from the Q system
than used to be available from 35mm color film in everyday use.

---------- Post added 12-31-15 at 10:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There is no reason for Pentax not to produce a long zoom, but apparently they have decided not to.
I suspect so, and don't have a problem with that.
Having made the decision to enter the FF digital market,
they need to give it their very best shot.

As for long zooms on the Q (and even the macro lens they've patented),
the availabilty of their K2Q adapter makes those lenses less of a priority.
12-31-2015, 09:38 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I agree 100%.

As I said on another thread, in the past month I've taken more pictures with my Q-7 than with my K-30, simply because I take it more places (and it gives me better results than my cell phone does).,
If they don't expand their lens line, I'm not sure I see a reason for them to make even one more model.
As I have said on several threads, I am disappointed, but it is their company and they get to make that decision.
Well the problem is that they don't make a good rugget camera and also no good long zoom offering. Why there is no long zoom for Q...... I don't know, that just makes no sense.

---------- Post added 31-12-15 at 17:45 ----------

I suspect so, and don't have a problem with that.
Having made the decision to enter the FF digital market,
they need to give it their very best shot.

the availabilty of their K2Q adapter makes those lenses less of a priority.
Well then don't be surprised that less customers will come to Q, since most people don't use a K2Q because the system then is large. There is no new camera for Q in 2015. There are no new lenses for Q in 2014 and 2015. So I guess this is about priority and maybe less succesfilm financial results for the Q-system.

12-31-2015, 09:58 AM   #39
Site Supporter

the availability of their K2Q adapter makes those lenses less of a priority.
Well then don't be surprised that less customers will come to Q, since most people don't use a K2Q because the system then is large. There is no new camera for Q in 2015. There are no new lenses for Q in 2014 and 2015. So I guess this is about priority and maybe less successful financial results for the Q-system.
Yes, the lenses are "large"; more importantly, very few seem to resolve well enough to use all of the pixels on the Q-7's sensor; the few that I'm aware of cost what a friend of mine calls "cubic dollars".
12-31-2015, 10:30 AM   #40
Pentaxian

most people don't use a K2Q because the system then is large.
Actually, the DA 40 XS on that adapter mikes a nice combination,
especially for close focusing,
and is shorter than the native 06 zoom.
12-31-2015, 10:42 AM   #41
Site Supporter

the availability of their K2Q adapter makes those lenses less of a priority.
... most people don't use a K2Q because the system then is large.
Actually, the DA 40 XS on that adapter mikes a nice combination,
especially for close focusing,
and is shorter than the native 06 zoom.
But that has nothing to do with the "long zoom" issue we've been talking about!!
12-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #42
Pentaxian

But that has nothing to do with the "long zoom" issue we've been talking about!!
The long zoom could be a separate camera or just a lens on Q. The XG-1 that Pentax offers, is nothing special. For Q there isn't such a lens. So they missed out on both.
01-01-2016, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter

01-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #44
Lens Buying Addict

Sneaky. 5 'Star' lenses coming in 2016?
01-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sneaky. 5 'Star' lenses coming in 2016?

You wish... and your bank account wishes not.