Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2015, 05:01 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if the problem involves their ability to produce the quality they want at the price they want. It is very odd that straight design issues could cause this much delay. But if necessary parts cannot be had for the price they need it would, perhaps, justify the delay. Just a thought.

12-17-2015, 05:13 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Straight from the Japan website and product page: "To be released in April, 2016"
12-17-2015, 05:23 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
Maybe they should also rebrand latest Tamron 70-200 which is an excellent lens.
My thinking and certainly a viable option for us Pentaxians. But it would be a disaster for Pentax as a lens developing company. This is the one lens you have to be able to provide to be taken seriously as a lens maker.
12-17-2015, 05:26 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I wonder if the problem involves their ability to produce the quality they want at the price they want. It is very odd that straight design issues could cause this much delay. But if necessary parts cannot be had for the price they need it would, perhaps, justify the delay. Just a thought.
Thereafter, it should come out AFTER K-1.
Which by no means is trouble-making, since there is already DFA24-70/2.8

12-17-2015, 06:00 AM   #20
JPT
Pentaxian

Of course this is bad news, but I wonder if the delays on this lens have delayed it to such an extent that it became necessary to put the slower, and presumably cheaper, 24-100 lens into production first, so that it can be offered as part of a kit with the K-1.
12-17-2015, 06:28 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Of course this is bad news, but I wonder if the delays on this lens have delayed it to such an extent that it became necessary to put the slower, and presumably cheaper, 24-100 lens into production first, so that it can be offered as part of a kit with the K-1.
I think clearly the issue has to do with auto focus and designing the lens and the algorithims that drive the lens in such a way as to maximize its performance in that regard. The optics probably are pretty well finished, but if the motor wasn't working correctly or something else needed fine tuning, then it obviously slowed things down considerably.

In the end, the most important thing is that this released by the time that full frame comes out -- apparently at the beginning of April. They have the 24-70 f2.8 already and it is a nice lens, with this 70-200, they should have the majority of pro shooter's zoom needs covered.
12-17-2015, 06:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member

As long as April doesn't drift into May, June, July ... and then possibly cancellation.

I hope nothing goes wrong with my Sigma 70-200 HSM II in the meantime ...

12-17-2015, 06:55 AM   #23
Pentaxian

It's gonna be superior to Canon and Nikon , so be patient.
12-17-2015, 07:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
t's gonna be superior to Canon and Nikon , so be patient.
I wish Ricoh well with this lens.

But if they leave it too late, Nikon and Canon, not to mention Tamron or Sigma, could update their 70-200's before the Pentax lens ships. Then it'll be back to the drawing board again for Ricoh.
12-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
As long as April doesn't drift into May, June, July ... and then possibly cancellation.

I hope nothing goes wrong with my Sigma 70-200 HSM II in the meantime ...
Since the delay has stretched to now a year I expect that will happen.

I would honestly not be surprised if this lens never saw the light of day. I also wouldn't be surprised if the FF ended up cancelled. It has been delayed multiple times now. First fall of this year, then possibly February, and now April. I imagine Ricoh already knows they have lost anyone who had a need for a FF with their overly cautious delays.
12-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Since the delay has stretched to now a year I expect that will happen.

I would honestly not be surprised if this lens never saw the light of day. I also wouldn't be surprised if the FF ended up cancelled. It has been delayed multiple times now. First fall of this year, then possibly February, and now April. I imagine Ricoh already knows they have lost anyone who had a need for a FF with their overly cautious delays.
I don't know. I think that it is just a lot harder to release a full frame camera now and make an impact on the market than it was, say, three or four years ago. That said, Pentax has sunk a lot of money into the R and D of both the camera and the lens. That money is lost if they release nothing, while if the release is delayed, but eventually happens, they have some return on investment.

In addition, they have the teaser for the K-1 that seems to indicate that it is coming. If they cancel the K-1, I think it would destroy faith in the Pentax brand and at this point it would be seriously harmful. Better not to announce and hype something than to do so and then cancel it at the last second.
12-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is readily apparent both the camera and the lens will be officially announced and shown at CP+. Both will ship in early April, as Ricoh has officially stated (Spring 2016). It is evident Ricoh has reworked the design or perhaps resourced components of the 70~200, and perhaps changed the ship date for marketing reasons.

We should pay attention to Ricoh Japan's official statements, not 'insider' rumors (no matter how reliable they have been in the past) nor even to Ricoh Imaging NA indicated ship dates (as revealed by availability dates on retailer websites). It is just as reasonable to speculate Ricoh is swamped with pre-orders for both and is taking extra time to build product inventory as it is to speculate they're having technical difficulties.

Relax. We'll all know soon enough. Just sayin'
12-17-2015, 09:14 AM   #28
Site Supporter

I think a FF could have been released as late as 2013 & still been impactful for the brand, its shooters & the company. But honestly, Ricoh needed to get out an excellent APS-C camera to shore up Pentax until they could R&D a full frame. I think the K-3 did an excellent job of that. I don't own one, but everyone who's used one says that significant improvements were made even over the K-5 series, which are excellent in their own right.

I think folks who absolutely needed a FF camera have long since abandoned Pentax for other brands. Although, I think if one earned their living through photography & needed a larger image file, they'd buy a digital medium format & Pentax is clearly the value king in that arena. I think it was Norm who made the point that a professional should be investing into the tools of their trade & offering their clients more than what they could get by letting Uncle John take their wedding pictures with his SoCaNikon for free, as his "gift". I agree with him.
12-17-2015, 09:20 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's the AF points in the viewfinder that's taking all the time.
12-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #30
Veteran Member

With so much delay they could surprise us all and make this lens & FF mirrorless!