Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2015, 07:22 AM   #46
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The lens was announced Feb 2015.
Rumors without speculation are not rumors.
And it was on display at photokina. At that point it was only a black tube I think.

I was asked by a Pentax rep at the boot what I thought of it......my answer "you can't use them, their not lenses (or the like)" didn't amuse him. I'm not the person to be impressie with an empty tube.

12-18-2015, 07:29 AM - 3 Likes   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
(...) I'm not the person to be impressed with an empty tube.
Let's say it depends on the tube and who's holding it

12-18-2015, 07:41 AM - 3 Likes   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
yes, a tripod mount is super difficult to redesign, can you imagine they have to redesign the whole lens!
Dude.

If you are so unhappy why don't you just shuffle on over to a Nikon Forum and spread your good cheer over there. Stop spreading unnecessary FUD.

They need to redesign the rear portion of the lens barrel to move the mount ring forward and move the aperture indicator ring and distance scale window backward (essentially, swap them). That, as you should know, involves everything from procurement to production design, as well as a post-production QC testing round and a financial recalculation. They can start with the basic tools used for the 150~450, but each lens barrel is unique. You know this, Mr. Engineer.

Grow up.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-18-2015 at 08:05 PM.
12-18-2015, 07:53 AM - 3 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
Sure, but there has been some discussion of its sharpness at the long end, too. I am afraid they might be in trouble with their design. Reminds me of the 60-250 development, unfortunately.
If it turns out to be as good as the DA*60-250 I think any complaints will be pretty quickly forgotten. The DA* 60-250 is a "you have to buy this camera to use this lens " kind of lens.

---------- Post added 12-18-15 at 09:54 AM ----------

Time to say good bye.
Goodbye
Be sure and close the door on the way out. We have to be more careful about who wanders in here.

12-18-2015, 08:22 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Be sure and close the door on the way out. We have to be more careful about who wanders in here.
12-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #51

But I always thought Pentax was supposed to be behind the curve so they could fix all the screw ups Canon considers innovation?
12-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I think a FF could have been released as late as 2013 & still been impactful for the brand, its shooters & the company. But honestly, Ricoh needed to get out an excellent APS-C camera to shore up Pentax until they could R&D a full frame. I think the K-3 did an excellent job of that. I don't own one, but everyone who's used one says that significant improvements were made even over the K-5 series, which are excellent in their own right.

I think folks who absolutely needed a FF camera have long since abandoned Pentax for other brands. Although, I think if one earned their living through photography & needed a larger image file, they'd buy a digital medium format & Pentax is clearly the value king in that arena. I think it was Norm who made the point that a professional should be investing into the tools of their trade & offering their clients more than what they could get by letting Uncle John take their wedding pictures with his SoCaNikon for free, as his "gift". I agree with him.

Many Uncle Johns routinely show up with absolutely professional kit: 5D's, D810's, Sony A7IIr's and all the >$2000 lenses you could imagine. And most of the time they look down their noses wondering how my wife and I could be charging money! Then of course when the bride gets the photos, it's always the same: "WOW, your photos are so beautiful, all the guests just took snapshots, your pictures capture the emotions!!" Or something like that.

It's not the gear.

24mp APS-c is more than enough for 99% of anybody taking a photo of anything. Those other 1% know who they are and are shooting other cameras. (Maybe a slight exaggeration, but the point is correct.)

I won't be trading in my 50-135 to buy this 70-200, but the 70-200 will make a GREAT! 100-300 2.8 on my K3II... Someday...

12-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #53
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Many Uncle Johns routinely show up with absolutely professional kit: 5D's, D810's, Sony A7IIr's and all the >$2000 lenses you could imagine. And most of the time they look down their noses wondering how my wife and I could be charging money! Then of course when the bride gets the photos, it's always the same: "WOW, your photos are so beautiful, all the guests just took snapshots, your pictures capture the emotions!!" Or something like that.

It's not the gear.

24mp APS-c is more than enough for 99% of anybody taking a photo of anything. Those other 1% know who they are and are shooting other cameras. (Maybe a slight exaggeration, but the point is correct.)

I won't be trading in my 50-135 to buy this 70-200, but the 70-200 will make a GREAT! 100-300 2.8 on my K3II... Someday...
No, it's not the gear. A great artist can make beautiful art with Cra-Z-Art or Prismacolor or Crayola. But the point remains that professionals choose the best tool available for the job at hand without regard to brand. If you & your wife needed FF or MF to achieve a certain image, then that's what you'd be using because it was the right tool, not just a tool you liked or were the most familiar with.
12-20-2015, 03:28 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Talking about camera features, cameras and lenses - it's all about gear.
Some people may buy Canon and Nikon only to show off. But some people know how to capitalize on great gear offered by other brands to make live easier or images better - not always and not for all applications, but sometimes.

Pentax is on the switch between two sensor formats - basically two separate lens line ups are needed and they do not have the capacity to support both. I am wanting a FF 70-200/2.7 for a long time even on APS-C. Ready to sell my DA*200 before it would be obsolete - Pentax used gear has little used value. A 70-200/2.8 would pair nicely with my K3.
The dealy of the 70-200/2.8 also delays the developemnt of lenses not even talked about by Pentax. A new large aprture portrait lens is missing, A new large aperture wide angle. A large aperture wide angle zoom... These developments will take several years from today. Other brands have made the FF switch long time ago and they have all these lenses available. We are like 5 years behind overall.
12-20-2015, 04:13 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some people may buy Canon and Nikon only to show off. But some people know how to capitalize on great gear offered by other brands to make live easier or images better - not always and not for all applications, but sometimes.

Pentax is on the switch between two sensor formats - basically two separate lens line ups are needed and they do not have the capacity to support both. I am wanting a FF 70-200/2.7 for a long time even on APS-C. Ready to sell my DA*200 before it would be obsolete - Pentax used gear has little used value. A 70-200/2.8 would pair nicely with my K3.
The dealy of the 70-200/2.8 also delays the developemnt of lenses not even talked about by Pentax. A new large aprture portrait lens is missing, A new large aperture wide angle. A large aperture wide angle zoom... These developments will take several years from today. Other brands have made the FF switch long time ago and they have all these lenses available. We are like 5 years behind overall.
I am planning to use my DA *200 on the K-1. The 70-200 f2.8 lenses are too big, in my opinion. 200 prime is much easier to manage.

---------- Post added 12-20-15 at 06:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote

It's not the gear.

You are quite correct. Having a camera doesn't mean that you know how to really capture a day. My wife shoots weddings and brides are uniformly pleased after the fact -- despite the fact that she shoots Pentax (K3 and K5 II). She is capturing the moments within the day as well as making them look their best. And that's what they want, not a thousand 50 megapixel images that look like snaps.
12-20-2015, 06:43 AM - 6 Likes   #56
Veteran Member

It is real. I have used it a lot..Not happy with Pentax, goodbye..Canon is over there ---->
12-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Pentax is on the switch between two sensor formats - basically two separate lens line ups are needed and they do not have the capacity to support both.
I don't understand why you think they need two families of DSLR lenses. Yes, Canon has EF-S and EF mounts, and Nikon has DX and FX lenses, but it doesn't have to be like that. The K-mount doesn't natively differentiate between APS-C and FF; Pentax could totally focus on providing lenses meeting the need of FF cameras, and APS-C cameras could use them equally well. If these turn out to be priced more, that would primarily be because the new lenses are higher quality, and an APS-C user could pay for that quality or settle for the lenses already available; in either case s/he wouldn't be any worse off than s/he was last year.
12-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't understand why you think they need two families of DSLR lenses. Yes, Canon has EF-S and EF mounts, and Nikon has DX and FX lenses, but it doesn't have to be like that. The K-mount doesn't natively differentiate between APS-C and FF; Pentax could totally focus on providing lenses meeting the need of FF cameras, and APS-C cameras could use them equally well. If these turn out to be priced more, that would primarily be because the new lenses are higher quality, and an APS-C user could pay for that quality or settle for the lenses already available; in either case s/he wouldn't be any worse off than s/he was last year.
While your suggestion may work on the long end lenses, it does not work on the wide angle lenses. For APS-C cameras 24mm is not considered wide angle whereas 15mm is.
12-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
It is real. I have used it a lot..Not happy with Pentax, goodbye..Canon is over there ---->
Kenspo this looks like you are leaving us? I hope I misunderstood
12-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #60
Pentaxian

yes you have