Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2015, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax 645Z scores 101 at DxOMark

...as revealed by their test of Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R II:

Measurements: Excellent low noise levels - DxOMark
QuoteOriginally posted by DxOMark:
The new RX1R II achieved an excellent DxOMark score of 97 points, with individual scores of 25.8 bits for color sensitivity, a wide 13.9 EVs dynamic range at base ISO (albeit slightly lower at base than the best tested), and a very good low-light ISO score of 3204 ISO. In terms of rankings, only the Pentax 645Z with its physically larger 43.8 x 32.8mm CMOS sensor (nearly 1.7x the surface area of a full-frame 35mm sensor) is ahead by just over a half-stop in noise levels.

Attached Images

12-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-23-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Finally...
12-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where's the test report?

12-23-2015, 03:17 PM - 6 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

12-23-2015, 03:53 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

...it's phrased a bit like: "this exceptional SONY camera is wonderful... only the CHEATING big huge nasty Pentax which has a much, much bigger sensor, is just a tiny whiff better..."

Call me overly sensitive, but I almost never like the phrasing sites like DxO and DPReview choose when they just can't avoid praising Pentax...
12-23-2015, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

In my opinion DXO lost all credibility when they rated the 645z much higher for "sports" photography and only marginally better for their "landscape" and "portrait" categories.

12-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #8

nicely done pentax! Gives me good feelings for the upcoming full frame!
12-23-2015, 04:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
In my opinion DXO lost all credibility when they rated the 645z much higher for "sports" photography and only marginally better for their "landscape" and "portrait" categories.
They don't rate the camera, they rate the sensor. And being considerably better at high ISO makes the 645Z's sensor better at attaining high shutter speeds, and thus for sports photography.
12-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
They don't rate the camera, they rate the sensor. And being considerably better at high ISO makes the 645Z's sensor better at attaining high shutter speeds, and thus for sports photography.
Ok, got it.
12-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
...it's phrased a bit like: "this exceptional SONY camera is wonderful... only the CHEATING big huge nasty Pentax which has a much, much bigger sensor, is just a tiny whiff better..."

Call me overly sensitive, but I almost never like the phrasing sites like DxO and DPReview choose when they just can't avoid praising Pentax...

I'm ok with the phrasing, personally. The Pentax is over twice the price of the next most expensive in the comparo.
12-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by concealer404 Quote
I'm ok with the phrasing, personally. The Pentax is over twice the price of the next most expensive in the comparo.
Me too. In the "sports" score FF users have leaps and bound advantage over MF in terms of available aperture numbers.

That said, its still very interesting to read about the technical differences. I'm also looking forward to a comparison with the 645D CCD sensor, and of course the Pentax K-1(?) scores.
12-23-2015, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Ok, meanwhile this was explained.

However, just to clarify ... What DxO measured (they don't rate) is exactly what phsics did suggest and what I predicted.

101 DxO marks vs. 102 I predicted in post https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/301279-dxomark-meas...ml#post3461521

Now, that I do call precision

Also, for the sports score, I predicted an 1.68x improvement or 4800 ISO. Pretty close too, but not exactly as good as predicted costing it one point.

Anecdotically, the A7s sensor in 645Z size would score 6200. Physics would make it hard to significally surpass 10000 for that size, any time. If only anybody would make uncropped MF and F1.4 lenses for that. That would turn night into day (you could shoot 1/30s at -1 LV, with 30dB SNR=moderate noise)

Last edited by falconeye; 12-23-2015 at 06:45 PM.
12-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Maybe I should wait for that before I buy another body.... 6200 sounds really good.... imagine being able to use a nice high shutter speed to freeze birds in flight, on a less than stellar shooting day.

Score of 10000 sounds great, but, there's usually a pretty big gap between what is theoretically possible and what you can actually achieve... or did you already factor that in?
12-23-2015, 07:46 PM   #15
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote

it looks like they haven't actually tested the camera, so that rating is fwiw... but the sensor data is out there for comparison purposes, bill claff has posted it, i think that he can also get his data from raw photos that people send him??

the 645z should be "just a tiny whiff better" because, among other things, it's dr vs. iso numbers are actually worse than the a7rii numbers at certain points in the scale... and the d810 is right behind 'em both... canon 5dsr is the real loser.

it's hard to tell in this graph because the green colors are the same, but the 645z curve is smooth and fairly straight, while the a7rii "curve" is showing the dual-gain technology(aptina?), giving it some jagged jumps on the scale.

you can mess around with the graph yourself: Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting

yes the 645z has cleaner iso over the competition, but wrt the a7rii, some of those gains come because of downrezzing... here is the dpr scene comparison at iso12800, NOT fully downrezzed.

this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, in fact i've been predicting it for months on this forum, it's been obvious that sony is technologically far ahead of all of the dslr/ovf camera companies... they should be, they've been throwing money at r&d like drunken sailors home on shore leave

none of that is to say that the a7rii is the perfect ff camera; for example, some people have complained that it's not what they expected for astrophotography, to the extent that at least one a7rii owner bought a canon 6d for his night work... yes, it's bsi technology, but maybe it's fully wrung out because of the aptina technology? or perhaps the 42mp compromise because of video considerations was a factor.
Attached Images