Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2016, 03:44 AM   #421
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I expect the K-1 to be better than past cameras with regard to focus speed and tracking. As to whether it is the equal of the D5, probably not. In addition, it will probably depend on the lens used. Break out the new DFA 70-200, 150-450 or 24-70 and it will probably be pretty zippy. Stick the FA 77 on it or the DA *55 and it probably will struggle a little more, due to lens design.

But most of us aren't shooting sports. Wedding photographers need decent tracking, but brides and grooms aren't sprinting towards the camera and the K3 is actually adequate with regards to tracking in most situations.

01-08-2016, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #422
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
but brides and grooms aren't sprinting towards the camera
You obviously weren't at my wedding
01-08-2016, 04:05 AM - 2 Likes   #423
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
You obviously weren't at my wedding
As I recall, you didn't invite me.
01-08-2016, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #424
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No doubt the invitation got lost in the mail.

01-08-2016, 04:10 AM   #425
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, 1989 was a long time - I can't truthfully remember - but apologies if I was remiss ;D
01-08-2016, 04:38 AM   #426
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Well, 1989 was a long time - I can't truthfully remember - but apologies if I was remiss ;D
All is forgiven, although I heard a great time was had by all!
01-08-2016, 05:45 AM   #427
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Can you confirm that K-1's AF system is better than D500/D5's AF?
Can you confirm that it doesn't? You are the one claiming to know the AF performance of K-1 is worse then D5, Asashiflex didn't claim the AF was better, worse or equal. He just wont exclude any of those possibilities.

Last edited by Simen1; 01-08-2016 at 05:55 AM.
01-08-2016, 05:59 AM   #428
Pentaxian

We're deeply in the angels on the head of a pin territory here.
01-08-2016, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #429
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Can you confirm that it doesn't? You are the one claiming to know the AF performance of K-1 is worse then D5, Asashiflex didn't claim the AF was better, worse or equal. He just wont exclude any of those possibilities.
I think the only thing Ogl can confirm is that he doesn't like Pentax.
01-08-2016, 06:13 AM   #430
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
He'll tell you he is just being realistic and is helping the brand by dissing it (sorry "being respectfully constructively critical") all the time.
01-08-2016, 06:20 AM   #431
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
You are not correct. No any word - better, worse, equal of D5 from me.

I don't know, but I guess...
Because the history of digital AF system of Pentax cameras says that it's unreal for Pentax
to be close to reportage cameras of other brands and Pentax AF system was far behind the best AF system of other brands some time ago.
Ricoh's cameras are not outstanding cameras in terms of AF too. I would say - rather mediocre.

It's fact that Pentax AF system was one of the weakest between competitors from *ist D till K-5's generation. K-3 is close or equal to the ordinary AF-S systems of other brands in the same price level. AF-C of Pentax hardly struggle with other AF systems.

That's why the claiming that For all we know they might have been working on the best AF ever made. is strange for me.
The best AF ever made - who can confirm it? How could believe in it?

I don't see any necessary prerequisites for breakthrough.
01-08-2016, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #432
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you confirm that K-1's AF system is better than D500/D5's AF
As a user of current Nikon and Canon high-end DSLRs Pentax will have to make a leap of several generations to catch up to Nikon, the K3 comes very close to matching the AF of other high end APS-C DSLRs. But full format will push SAVOX hard to perform at the level of current FX format DSLRs.
01-08-2016, 06:32 AM   #433
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't have any feelings as LIKE, LOVE and HATE if we say about any gears.

I'm realist. If K-1 can reach D5's AF system, it could be cool. If it couldn't - I don't care. It couldn't upset me.

But I don't see how it could be.

Do you really think that Ricoh could produce the same AF system with 2 times lower price than D5?
The sales volume of D5 and D500 will be MUCH higher than all Pentax cameras together.

To produce very complex AF system and cover the expenses are rather hard task for so small company as Ricoh.

That's why Ricoh will offer another advantages in K-1 (with good AF (I hope), but not the best AF).
01-08-2016, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #434
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you really think that Ricoh could produce the same AF system with 2 times lower price than D5?
Like it or not, OGL has a good point there.
01-08-2016, 06:39 AM   #435
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
As a user of current Nikon and Canon high-end DSLRs Pentax will have to make a leap of several generations to catch up to Nikon, the K3 comes very close to matching the AF of other high end APS-C DSLRs. But full format will push SAVOX hard to perform at the level of current FX format DSLRs.
K-3 is a good level. And not worse than another cameras at the same price. But AF-C is not the strong point of K-3 although we could say it's something close to real AF-C.

Yes, need to make leap of several generations...I don't any wish to bash Pentax, I just say about real situation.

If we will see that K-1 has real and steady AF-C it would be real success.