01-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #496
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The images are just too small to get a good idea about iq

01-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #497

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Thank you for the last words.....

The only thing happening is that people really want to buy into Nikon, because you can make serious images with their camera's

http://oleliodden.com/photo-gear/field-reviews/beta-test-report-nikon-d5/

They probably spend some money on it
nice images from the beta test report from the D5.. Alaska, Falkland great outdoor destinations. I wouldnt mind to be a beta tester with the K-1 in similar places :-)
01-13-2016, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #498
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by squareeyes Quote
I have been impatient with other members who have criticized the quality of samples presented by ANY manufacturers, but now...

The three newest photos are ... too subtle(?) for me They are dull landscapes that barely show what is described.

Please, Pentax. Please, Ricoh, engage a photographer, for goodness sake!
I'm looking at the 43 shot and thinking OK that looks better than I would expect after listening to the doom and gloom on here when measured on a test chart. The 31 is showing good to excellent as usual and the 77? Well I don't normally associate the 77 with f/8 but even so the OOF rendering looks more than usable.
Not nice to knock other photographers, he or she maybe working to a set of criteria unknown to you.
01-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #499
ogl
Banned

They attract us...

01-13-2016, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #500
Pentaxian

I don't think there's any doubt Nikon puts a lot more effort into their test images than Pentax does. Given that for folks like myself it's those images that are my only real impression. I still remember the library image that was posted with the D800. I was just blown away.

Here we are years later, pentax is finally releasing their D800, and honestly, these are images i wouldn't post here on the forum.

The suspension bridge image has OOF grass in front of parts of the bridge. The wild roses image has the background showing way too much detail, it just looks busy and the wide angle shot, come on, wait a bit until it's a sunset, and find someplace interesting to shoot. I try and do that every time I go out. They are unprofessional in so many ways, I could write pages.

The person who took these images is not a person who's standards are work I can appreciate. So what is the point of posting them? Would I buy a camera if I thought my images were going to look like those?

I'm left to think, I can take images I like with my K-3, hopefully the K-1 will be better. What else can I take from those images? 15 minutes from now I've forgotten them. The original D800 images, I'll never forget them.

The only thing I think when I see work like that is, people given a big job to do, and no money to do it with. I would expect to have better than those after a 2 hour walk through one of the park hiking trails.

Are they really that unaware?

Sorry about the smiley, it's not funny. It's depressing.

They should be images of a competent photographer who was planning to do a shoot anyway, and who could just take the new gear along. There should be the planning and care taken in a real photoshoot, location scouting, right time of day, proper lighting, the things real photographers do. None of those image qualify.

Last edited by normhead; 01-13-2016 at 09:24 AM.
01-13-2016, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #501
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ddamski Quote
nice images from the beta test report from the D5.. Alaska, Falkland great outdoor destinations. I wouldnt mind to be a beta tester with the K-1 in similar places :-)
It's surely one of my great deficiencies as a photographer that I look at those pictures and say WOW! It sure looks cold and damp.
01-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #502
Veteran Member

"Lens used: HD PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited" (emphasis mine)

Also I don't see why the grass being OOF in the bridge shot is a bad thing...?

01-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #503
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't think there's any doubt Nikon puts a lot more effort into their test images than Pentax does. Given that for folks like myself it's those images that are my only real impression. I still remember the library image that was posted with the D800. I was just blown away.

Here we are years later, pentax is finally releasing their D800, and honestly, these are images i wouldn't post here on the forum.

The suspension bridge image has OOF grass in front of parts of the bridge. The wild roses image has the background showing way too much detail, it just looks busy and the wide angle shot, come on, wait a bit until it's a sunset, and find someplace interesting to shoot. I try and do that every time I go out. They are unprofessional in so many ways, I could write pages.

The person who took these images is not a person who's standards are work I can appreciate. So what is the point of posting them? Would I buy a camera if I thought my images were going to look like those?

I'm left to think, I can take images I like with my K-3, hopefully the K-1 will be better. What else can I take from those images? 15 minutes from now I've forgotten them. The original D800 images, I'll never forget them.

The only thing I think when I see work like that is, people given a big job to do, and no money to do it with. I would expect to have better than those after a 2 hour walk through one of the park hiking trails.

You've obviously missed your calling as a critic or better still a teacher
01-13-2016, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #504
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
You've obviously missed your calling as a critic or better still a teacher
I'm a retired photography teacher, so I didn't really miss my calling. In fact it's my teachers pension that enables me to sit around and put that much effort into a commentary. I really should go do something meaningful.

---------- Post added 01-13-16 at 11:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
"Lens used: HD PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited" (emphasis mine)

Also I don't see why the grass being OOF in the bridge shot is a bad thing...?
If the picture is of the bridge, the grass is a distraction, if it's of the grass, it's out of focus. As it is, it looks like they were driving around aimlessly got out of a car, stood by the side of the road and took a snapshot.

I have lots of similar images where I did just that. But as I said, I don't even post them on the forum, forget about as an example of what a new camera can do.

But here, you want to show off the resolution of anew camera, check this out.
http://imgsv.imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/img/sample01/img_01_l.jpg

Five years later and I still remember it.

Last edited by normhead; 01-13-2016 at 09:33 AM.
01-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #505
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

They should be images of a competent photographer who was planning to do a shoot anyway, and who could just take the new gear along. There should be the planning and care taken in a real photoshoot, location scouting, right time of day, proper lighting, the things real photographers do. None of those image qualify.
I think you now realise why I'm not an ambassador for them.
01-13-2016, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #506
Veteran Member

Nikon is playing hard. They are in deep shit, so they are going all in. Ricoh are slowly building stone by stone. There is the difference.

But not long until Pentax can show pics of rockstars
01-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #507
Pentaxian

shot with the K-1 by ^^
01-13-2016, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #508
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Nikon is playing hard. They are in deep shit, so they are going all in. Ricoh are slowly building stone by stone. There is the difference.

But not long until Pentax can show pics of rockstars
I'm looking forward to it Kenspo, but, first impressions are lasting impressions.
01-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #509
Veteran Member

As pointed earlier, if this is not a mistake, there is the first confirmation of a new update to FA Limiteds:
• Lens used: HD PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited
01-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Nikon is playing hard. They are in deep shit, so they are going all in.
I've never owned a Nikon camera, and I've used Pentax cameras for over 30 years, but it would be a sad, sad day if Nikon went under, or were no longer able to drive up standards in the areas that they do