Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2015, 11:38 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing I prefer about shooting a dedicated apsc camera is the viewfinder matches the expected crop. Even with an outline in the viewfinder I find it hard to break years of composing to the entire viewfinder... An electronic viewfinder might make that disconnect easier by eliminating the excess borders and zooming in on the expected image.

12-27-2015, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #62
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Sorry if I made an error - thanks for catching it.
I saw it posted somewhere and just used the number - but at 22MP with better AF.C I would buy the Pentax FF -
Whoa!

That's with a Canon 50Mp sensor, with poor low light performance and unlikely to be in the Pentax.

Divide either 36 or 42 by about 2.25. Those are the likely Sony sensors.
12-27-2015, 05:24 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Whoa!

That's with a Canon 50Mp sensor, with poor low light performance and unlikely to be in the Pentax.

Divide either 36 or 42 by about 2.25. Those are the likely Sony sensors.
It turns out the Canon 5Ds has two crop modes to handles two types of Canon lenses Canon 5DS 50-megapixel monster set to redefine the professional DSLR market: Key specs | TechRadar
One crop mode factor is 30MP and the other is 19 MP.
There is no perfect camera to satisfy everyone's needs - in my case the a FF like the the 5Ds would be perfect for the nature, landscape and wildlife photography I prefer. Since the likely sensors are the Sony sensors you highlight and not a custom sensor, the forthcoming Pentax FF is not for me.
The good news is that Ricoh is developing new cameras and lenses for Pentax and the indications point to a good future for a variety of users, just not an immediate answer for all users.
12-27-2015, 05:33 AM   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
There is no perfect camera to satisfy everyone's needs - in my case the a FF like the the 5Ds would be perfect for the nature, landscape and wildlife photography I prefer. Since the likely sensors are the Sony sensors you highlight and not a custom sensor, the forthcoming Pentax FF is not for me.
???

Still struggling to follow your logic, Bob.

Even if they use the older 36Mp Sony sensor, that whips the Canon 5DS sensor in portrait, landscape, sports and overall scores at DxOMark.

Not to mention if Pentax value adds its sensor-shift technology from the K-3 II!

Last edited by clackers; 12-27-2015 at 05:42 AM.
12-27-2015, 05:39 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
???

Still struggling to follow your logic, Bob.

Even if they use the older 36Mp Sony sensor, that whips the Canon 5DS sensor in portrait, landscape, sports and overall scores at DxOMark.

Not to mention if Pentax adds its sensor-shift technology from the K-3 II!
Don't loose any sleep over it.
12-27-2015, 06:42 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 30mp crop mode isn't apsc it is a 1.3x crop mode to mimic the apsh format that they used to make. It wouldn't be a bad thing for Pentax to offer variable crop rates but you can just shoot the scene in full frame and crop later.
12-27-2015, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #67
Pentaxian

For a stills approach you want to keep things simple - your proprietary crop, full-frame, or auto. For the video approach it's all handled electronically anyway, so offering a range of aspect ratios is less of an issue. And we all know that for better or worse, Pentax regards the stills aspect as primary. I concur with that approach - if I ever need professional video, I will buy a camera designed and optimised to take moving pictures. And that doesn't just mean the almighty sensor - that means ALL the other controls, buffer and memory, stabilisation algorithms, menus and workflow, the ergonomics, the viewscreen, everything.

12-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Until I saw the squirrel picture I was convinced that Pentax paid not much attention to the forum at all, now I'm not so sure.
12-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Carrying more than you need is just as bad as carrying less than you need.
Could you perhaps state a couple of examples where that is true?
12-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Until I saw the squirrel picture I was convinced that Pentax paid not much attention to the forum at all, now I'm not so sure.
O. M. G. There really is a squirrel.
12-27-2015, 11:07 AM - 2 Likes   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Could you perhaps state a couple of examples where that is true?
When you're coming off a 15k hike and your back is all twisted out of shape because you carried too much stuff? I can't believe I have to explain everything.

Honestly, I seen guys close to collapse on portages, because they had no idea what "the minimum" was, to bring along on a long trip, then leave gear they needed home the next day because they were tired from the day before. Nothing kills your enthusiasm faster at a remote shooting location, than carrying too much weight.

ANd if you're planning to shoot at ƒ5.6 or higher, carrying ƒ2.8 lenses is beyond dumb. You might bring a 50 1.8 or something just on the odd chance you need some low light performance, but a 300mm 2.8, absolutely overkill and a waste. Risking damage to your gear for nothing.
12-27-2015, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #72
Veteran Member

Ricoh is certainly playing with my emotions with this camera. Everything I've seen so far makes me want to stick out till Spring to buy it.
I hope they addressed tethering for real this time instead of using that half-baked flu card process.
12-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #73
Pentaxian

It will have integrated WiFi, I'm not sure about wired tethering but at least we'll have a remote app like for the K-S2.
12-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #74
Pentaxian

When you're coming off a 15k hike and your back is all twisted out of shape because you carried too much stuff? I can't believe I have to explain everything.
But at least you got the photo which was why you did that 15k hike in the first place.
12-27-2015, 01:11 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
O. M. G. There really is a squirrel.
Squirrel attitude is definitely compulsory when adressing forthcomming K full frame system... all of us will need to store enough nuts and other valuable monies for that