Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #76
bxf
Veteran Member

I imagine Rupert is having his best PF time ever right now

12-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
ANd if you're planning to shoot at ƒ5.6 or higher, carrying ƒ2.8 lenses is beyond dumb.
This is mainly for the sake of argument, but...
A 400/2.8 will probably be sharper at f/5.6 than a 400/5.6 at f/5.6.
It is not totally stupid.
12-27-2015, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #78
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
And of course an image of a squirrel.
QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
Squirrels....the Ricoh folks are surely following this forum.
Squirrels are an integral part of Ricoh and Pentax...that's how that squirrel got in the announcement, it was no accident. Otis was key in development and spent many hours inside the new FF looking for any bugs or other defects, so it should be trouble free.

If your new FF has a nice "nutty" aroma, you will now know why!

Like Tom, and maybe others, I had no interest but with the news of the crop availability I am definitely interested now. That is a game changer for guys like me that like cropped shooting but could appreciate the FF advantage for portraits and landscapes. This could be a big winner for Pentax.....let's hope Otis did his job and didn't just curl up inside and sleep!

Regards!
12-27-2015, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are planning to mainly shoot in crop mode, then full frame is over kill for what you do. Full frame isn't two cameras in one. It is one camera that happens to have the ability to crop more aggressively than cameras with smaller sensors, but I think the goal in most situations would be to shoot in such a way that cropping is not required -- at least not much.

12-27-2015, 10:16 PM   #80
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you are planning to mainly shoot in crop mode, then full frame is over kill for what you do. Full frame isn't two cameras in one. It is one camera that happens to have the ability to crop more aggressively than cameras with smaller sensors, but I think the goal in most situations would be to shoot in such a way that cropping is not required -- at least not much.
On the other hand, the buffer could potentially hold more crop mode images on the FF body, since it will be tuned for the full FF resolution.

That appears to how the Nikon bodies function.. specifically the low end d610 goes from just 14 shots in 14-bit RAW FX mode to 34 in DX

So it could theoretically be handier in that regard.. provided the Pentax makes use of the DX (crop) mode similarly.

---------- Post added 12-27-15 at 11:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Squirrels are an integral part of Ricoh and Pentax...
..because of all the nuts here?
12-28-2015, 03:24 AM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
On the other hand, the buffer could potentially hold more crop mode images on the FF body, since it will be tuned for the full FF resolution.

That appears to how the Nikon bodies function.. specifically the low end d610 goes from just 14 shots in 14-bit RAW FX mode to 34 in DX

So it could theoretically be handier in that regard.. provided the Pentax makes use of the DX (crop) mode similarly.

---------- Post added 12-27-15 at 11:18 PM ----------

I understand there are reasons you would use it occasionally. I seldom max out my buffer on the K3. Assuming 20 to 24 image RAW buffer, that should be plenty for my purposes. This is unlikely to be a D5 sports shooter type camera. It will probably have a decent frame rate and buffer, but I doubt that will be its selling point.
12-28-2015, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's not that I would plan to shoot mainly in crop mode but rather the fact that I can use my mixture of FF/ APS-C lenses and still reduce post processing when using the APS-C lenses that cause vignetting.

12-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #83
mee
Veteran Member

I understand there are reasons you would use it occasionally. I seldom max out my buffer on the K3. Assuming 20 to 24 image RAW buffer, that should be plenty for my purposes. This is unlikely to be a D5 sports shooter type camera. It will probably have a decent frame rate and buffer, but I doubt that will be its selling point.
Agreed, yet I did not suggest it would be. Same for the D610 I used as example. So I'm not sure where you're going with that..

---------- Post added 12-28-15 at 05:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
It's not that I would plan to shoot mainly in crop mode but rather the fact that I can use my mixture of FF/ APS-C lenses and still reduce post processing when using the APS-C lenses that cause vignetting.
Good idea.

I would be more specific and shoot in FX mode for wide to normal length shots and DX mode for telephoto range. Usually when I'm shooting in tele range, I'm shooting in burst mode anyways (sports, airshows, birds) in daylight. So it is win-win for me.

There are many applications in using such a camera body.

(Yes, to those of you grunting and groaning, they are Nikon originated terms. However, they explain clearly and simply so deal with it as I will continue to use them here and elsewhere )
12-28-2015, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #84
mee
Veteran Member

You know what, on second thought it doesn't really matter.

We all debate and morph and manipulate our thoughts on here seemingly to no end as if it ever really matters.. when it doesn't.

I will say that I am excited to see what Ricoh releases in a few months.. and leave it at that.
12-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #85
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Versatile....that's what it would mean for me. The best of both worlds for my particular needs. For others, maybe not so much, but for me it could be perfect.

Regards!

---------- Post added 12-28-15 at 11:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Well, we can't deny the obvious, can we?
12-28-2015, 11:24 PM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
This is mainly for the sake of argument, but...
A 400/2.8 will probably be sharper at f/5.6 than a 400/5.6 at f/5.6.
It is not totally stupid.
well, I thought about this because I actually own a 400/2.8 and also a 300/2.8. My usual comment about the 400/2.8 --- a lens that I really love--is that it implicitly has "put a converter on me" practically
printed on the side of it. It is fast enough to be used very credibly with a 2x-L converter, and even produces reasonable results stacked with the 2x-L stacked with the 1.7x adapter. this probably something
you won't choose to do with your 400mm f/5.6 piece of glass.

if you want to see samples of some extreme distances comparatives, I have a test series posted on my website at Pentax FA*600, Pentax A*400 and Pentax FA*300 f/2.8
You will find photos of the 600 f4 with / with/out various converters and also the 400 f/2.8 and the 300 f/2.8 with various stacked converters. just try this on a dreary day with your f5/6!
12-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The evidence of the existence of a squirrel mode is mounting..
12-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The evidence of the existence of a squirrel mode is mounting..
And somewhat disturbing, on several levels........
12-29-2015, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #89
Pentaxian

There will be no battery compartment - just a place to put the peanuts in.
12-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
f you're planning to shoot at ƒ5.6 or higher, carrying ƒ2.8 lenses is beyond dumb.
You know this flies in the face of the fact that a vast majority of f/2.8 zoom lenses perform almost as well as primes across the frame when stopped down two stops. I know plenty of hiking and adventure photographers who use f/2.8 zoom lenses because there are too many compromises involved with slower f/4 lenses* to warrant the lighter weight.

*such as being able to be used with teleconverters, needing to use High ISOs to compensate for the loss in lens speed, dimmer viewfinder,AF sensor precision limits on certain cameras.