Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 250 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2016, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #376

Hmmmm

"I think, in light of this, perhaps the best option is to simply ignore them and let them simmer in their own bitterness when they get that way... because the hand slappy dustup action is bound to come back eventually since they see no wrong done."

Sheeesh....you get a real life and actually immerse yourself in making a living from this passion we call photography and then poke your head back in to this well of patrionizing, condescending, hateful rhetoric. Really dissappointing but I'll keep my heartache to a minimum since my world doesn't revolve around this place for inspiration or re-affirmation of one's hope in human nature or photographic comradarie. Kenspo. Mee. (And many others...)You make my day with your contributions and you are appreciated. For the people that insist on being right at the expense of being supportive or constructive. Well, you sure showed them.But you never win an argument (Carnegie advocates, take a bow...) and I hope it helps you sleep better because of it. To you who go straight to finding the humour of this when others career off the cliff of stupidity, you are my favourite people in the forum and I will always gravitate towards your laughter and zaniness.

01-06-2016, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #377
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Hmm.

Norm has chosen and loves Pentax - it's why he's here.

Let me ask you, Ken - if Ricoh stopped paying you, what would you do?

Genuinely interested in your answer.
You have to undestand that for the kind of shooting that Kenspo do, a brand ( lets say RICOH ) without a FF camera is not the best, so, there is your answer.. WITH a FF camera, the game changes. If Kenspo were a birdy/nature/macro photographer the answer could be different, but as i said, for his shooting and by the way the he gets pay by clients Ricoh without a FF is not really into the game in case you have to choose a system.
01-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #378
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Also if you can 'lose' a K-3 to me when you send 'em back...
Haven't heard you say that before

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Kenspo is not praising Nikon and bashing Pentax. He made a comment, once, about a FF camera having certain advantages.
YAY, someone sensible! People seem to have problems with reading - communication is a problem with the whole human race, we start wars over things that were misinterpreted.
01-06-2016, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #379
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Give him some slack. This thread is just pointless for 15 pages. At least in put the discussion in a far more funny way !
If I understand correctly, the PF business model depends on having lots of stuff posted here (quality is not measured), so this thread has been good for Adam (and he doesn't have to invent another dumb contest to increase "circulation")

01-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #380
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
It becomes confusing when english is not the first language for everybody and some people starts doing math comparations. And from what Nicolas is saying, K-30 with 300mm f4 and the same ISO and shutter speed as D610 can get the same results (with the aperture being set at f5.6 on D610).

Biz- engineer, forget the Af for a second. Let's presume that Pentax Af is as good as D750's. The image quality from K3 can not be similar with the image quality from D750 if you use the settings recommended by Nicholas, those being:

Pentax K3 with 300mm @f4, ISO 800, 1/400
Nikon D750 with 450mm @ f5,6 and ISO 800, 1/400

Not to mention if you use these settings on K-30 vs D750 or D610.

But I think somewhere I misunderstood something, or Nicolas didn't do some part of his math calculations right.
From what he said if I got it right is that the AF ruin the result for him. I'd say then the issue is not APSC vs FF but more Nikon AF vs Pentax AF. MF camera have even worse AF but people still use them for landscape, studio or fashion.

As for DA300 I choosed this one because it was the one mentionned, not that expensive and quite small. That's what I like from APSC that with a 300mm you get the reach of a 450mm so you can keep much lighter/smaller gear.

But if I'am to buy a very expensive 150-450 for sports or birds counting the AF performance of Pentax I would tend to think more of getting that a D7100 or a D810, + the equivalent lens, that a better balence for such objective.
01-06-2016, 06:04 PM   #381
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If I understand correctly, the PF business model depends on having lots of stuff posted here (quality is not measured), so this thread has been good for Adam (and he doesn't have to invent another dumb contest to increase "circulation")
I suspect he makes a comfortable amount through 'donations' and revenue from us buying through Adorama and B&H with the affiliate codes than all of the posting combined. Theres no way a website such as PF costs 36000 a year to operate in this day and age. But more power to him for getting enough people to do so! I really wish I had thought it up beforehand.
01-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #382
Veteran Member

People, stop. Please.
Kenspo is not praising Nikon and bashing Pentax. He made a comment, once, about a FF camera having certain advantages. He's waiting for the K-1 and is optimistic about it, he thinks it will suit his kind of professional usage. He's a Pentax ambassador, and acting like one.

I can't believe how on a forum full of endless complaints you picked on one of the most enthusiastic-about-Pentax people as a supposed Pentax basher.
Let's be honest he his under contract, paid for this. He is part of the advertisement. It would not hurt if he is really convinced but even if he now deeply regrets his choices he can't say it.

I don't think the K-01 will be any bad, the ergonomics already look quite interresting. I have no plan to buy one mainly because of the size/weight issue that to leveral the FF you need bigger/heavier lenses and that's not something I want. It will be also quite expensive for a small gain and that's not a price that I am willing to pay. I am not a pro, I don't get paid for photography and I don't think it is worth it for me and I don't think it is worth it for most amateurs/enthousiasts. But if they want to spend the money here, that's their money. Only a few will really benefit of it fully getting better photos as the primary factor is the photographer at this point, not the gear, but that their problem after all.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 01-06-2016 at 06:24 PM.
01-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #383
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
So, you're saying I can get comparable results if I use 300mm @f/4 with Pentax vs. 450mm on a full frame camera @f5.6, with the same shutter speed and the same ISO (let's say ISO 800)?
No because the same scene at f/5.6 vs f/4 you'll have either to give up half the speed on the FF or double the iso. I assume that if you were not speaking of iso 100 so that you bumped the iso to keep good enough speed, so obviously the FF guy will double the isos to keep the speed. That give us: 300mm f/4 say iso 800 vs 450mm f/5.6 say iso 1600.

The perfect equivalence rule would give:
300mm f/4 say iso 800 vs 450mm f/6 say iso 1840. Meaning the FF should have a small edge with f/5.6 iso1600 but there no reason for the FF shooter to slow down to help the APSC guy.

Now I agree with biz-engineer that the K3 AF is not the same as a D7200 or D810 and I also think that can have an effect, but this is not linked at all to the sensor size.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 01-06-2016 at 06:25 PM.
01-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #384
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Haven't heard you say that before
I think that was my third time saying that
01-06-2016, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #385
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
You have to undestand that for the kind of shooting that Kenspo do, a brand ( lets say RICOH ) without a FF camera is not the best, so, there is your answer..
Oh, believe me, Kooks, I understand.

For all those leaping to his defence as if he is a dinner guest in our house, he's not a god, in fact, he's a mercenary, that's the bottom line, in the rough and tumble of an internet forum.

But two things for me:

1. I believe him when he says he had offers from other brands, but went with Ricoh.

2. He seems to be a cool guy, and that's what's important. I couldn't care less if he doesn't answer all our questions or not, and I like a lot of people I disagree with. That's life.

Last edited by clackers; 01-06-2016 at 09:43 PM.
01-06-2016, 10:34 PM - 4 Likes   #386
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Let's be honest he his under contract, paid for this. He is part of the advertisement. It would not hurt if he is really convinced but even if he now deeply regrets his choices he can't say it..
As i've said many times. I dont regret, I'm happy with Pentax. If i wasn't happy, i have other offers. But i really belive in what is around the corner, i feel as a part of something, they treat me very well. What I reacted to, was the constant nagging about "you dont need FF", APS-C is just as good", "I wish Pentax concentrated on APS-C" etc..you get the picture. I am allowed in my contract, to speak directly from my heart..anywhere, anytime.

---------- Post added 01-07-16 at 06:37 AM ----------

People, stop. Please.
Kenspo is not praising Nikon and bashing Pentax. He made a comment, once, about a FF camera having certain advantages. He's waiting for the K-1 and is optimistic about it, he thinks it will suit his kind of professional usage. He's a Pentax ambassador, and acting like one.

I can't believe how on a forum full of endless complaints you picked on one of the most enthusiastic-about-Pentax people as a supposed Pentax basher.
Thank you!!! You got what i was trying to say all along

---------- Post added 01-07-16 at 06:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote

I can't remember if I'm right or not, did you shoot Nikon before you got 'ambassadored' by Ricoh?
Yes. I got contacted my Ricoh/Pentax over here. They invited me for a talk, i really liked what they talked about, future plans etc. Both parts expected the FF a lot sooner, but I'm loyal and patience..I know it will be a game changer.

---------- Post added 01-07-16 at 06:51 AM ----------

Let me ask you, Ken - if Ricoh stopped paying you, what would you do?

Genuinely interested in your answer.
I dont wanna speak about details in a contract, but i can say that they dont pay me money directly. Its more like a win/win situation for both parts.
They provide me everything i need to do my job..and then some..They do so i get to travel more, do more lectures, my name and pictures are out there in the industry. All this gives me more jobs.

While i show the industry and other pros what Pentax can do. THAT is what they signed me..I know a lot of people around here have become Pentaxians because of me, but my main task (and why they signed me in the first place), is to attract more pros and serious photographers to come over to Pentax. That is a really hard job when the FF is not here yet. The pro community has gone from laughter to really pay attention to Pentax now. And quite a few of them are waiting to test the FF with me when it arrives. So Ricoh over here, have told me that our cooperation is better then they expected it would be. So they are very happy with me..Although they know i can be a loose cannon..haha

They even set me up with a lot of free stuff with both Lowepro and Lexar too..so i can't complain

I hope this answer stuff

Last edited by kenspo; 01-06-2016 at 10:57 PM.
01-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #387
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
..Although they know i can be a loose cannon..haha
Perfect. They will surely have others on their roster who ... um ... 'play it safe.'
01-07-2016, 01:07 AM - 2 Likes   #388
Pentaxian

Perfect. They will surely have others on their roster who ... um ... 'play it safe.'

That may be true, but I for one would prefer a real human with real reactions to up and down sides of a company product line, than a 'mercenary' market droid who will push the official line ad nauseam.
I find both Norm and you are doing disservice to Pentax community here by questioning kenspo's 'allegiance' and motivation. From what I can gather, he's a pro that, if RP can't deliver, can and will go somewhere else. He's not married to RP. And neither is huge majority of people here.
As such he is more valuable as a weathervane of all things RP than, hypothetically, a zealot who will keep shooting Pentax no matter what.
01-07-2016, 01:13 AM   #389
ogl
Banned

If K-1 will have AF of D4's level or close it will be very good. D5 is inaccessible level for Ricoh's engineers.

But there are excuses - Pentax is not reportage system and never was.

Last edited by ogl; 01-07-2016 at 01:21 AM.
01-07-2016, 01:39 AM   #390
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I suspect he makes a comfortable amount through 'donations' and revenue from us buying through Adorama and B&H with the affiliate codes than all of the posting combined. Theres no way a website such as PF costs 36000 a year to operate in this day and age. But more power to him for getting enough people to do so! I really wish I had thought it up beforehand.
Well he goes to Photokina and CP+ to make a report and interview with Ricoh Imaging. You might think.....do we have to pay for that trip? Well he can make that interview because of the excistince of this forum, so having a contributie isn't weard. .

---------- Post added 07-01-16 at 09:42 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
If K-1 will have AF of D4's level or close it will be very good. D5 is inaccessible level for Ricoh's engineers.

But there are excuses - Pentax is not reportage system and never was.
That is out of reach I think. I don't expect any form of tractor, following the subject. I do think we get some extra af-points. Just a wide spread with some extra sensitief af points. In base I think it will be an upgrade to the current af-module. With the faster processor on board you already get a better performance.