Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #721
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
You speak for my nose... as a left-eye shooter.
So, no, thank you
Proximity sensors exist for a lreason. Well implemented, no nose problem.

---------- Post added 01-02-16 at 21:11 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
But no use for those who like me use the (presumably rear) screen *only* to review photos and occasionally to check settings. Top touch screen would be too small and awkward for most people to use like that anyway.
I don't see the said possibility as the only way of selecting af points so whatever, each use the prefered method, everybody happy.

02-02-2016, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #722
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
You could operate focus points with your index finger and the shutter with your middle finger.
Do you have any idea how uncomfortable and awkward that would be? plus I need my middle finger to express my annoyance when some careless twit walks into the frame.
02-02-2016, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #723
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Do you have any idea how uncomfortable and awkward that would be? plus I need my middle finger to express my annoyance when some careless twit walks into the frame.
Yes, I tried it. Not uncomfortable a all. You could still lift your middle finger to express annoyance at twittering people in your view.
02-02-2016, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #724
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Yes, I tried it. Not uncomfortable a all. You could still lift your middle finger to express annoyance at twittering people in your view.
If there is a group of people you can raise your middle finger and still be able to select with your index finger the one that concerns by choosing the AF point!

Seriously now, D1N0 I also see it very complex and not convenient. I think its quite out of the Pentax ergonomics (at least as we know it till today).

02-02-2016, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #725
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
If there is a group of people you can raise your middle finger and still be able to select with your index finger the one that concerns by choosing the AF point!

Seriously now, D1N0 I also see it very complex and not convenient. I think its quite out of the Pentax ergonomics (at least as we know it till today).
No need to raise it. Just hold it on the shutter button and press when ready.
02-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #726
Veteran Member

It not difficult it is standard feature of all smartphones for years. People are quite accustomed to it and it could help beginners to use their DSLR a bit like the green mode. This would be also quite convenient for all tripod related work were live view is often more interesting than the OVF. For macro on a rail with the camera in any kind of positions, this would be a must.

Pro in studio already use such feature with the 645Z + flux card to select the focus point directly on a tablet. This is not necessarily on screen, but this give you the idea that limiting the choice of focus point to the (not so) dedicated buttons in camera is not the best design ever that fit the needs of all situations.

People that would not want it, could just disable it.
02-02-2016, 06:17 AM - 2 Likes   #727

Joystick is the only really good way to quickly select af points on a dslr. I never understood the touchscreen thing. I don't want my main subject covered by a finger or thumb! I want Lenovo to join with Pentax to put one those red nubs on the FF. I love those things.

02-02-2016, 01:47 PM - 6 Likes   #728

XKCD...

But still the right way to make embedded mouse.

Most menu and select here stuff should be accessible with truly 8-way switch. I find pushing two switches in 4-way switch between uncertain and laggy.
02-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #729

QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
XKCD...

But still the right way to make embedded mouse.

Most menu and select here stuff should be accessible with truly 8-way switch. I find pushing two switches in 4-way switch between uncertain and laggy.
Ok....that's officially hysterical. Thanks for the laugh.
02-03-2016, 03:00 AM   #730
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bibz Quote
Joystick is the only really good way to quickly select af points on a dslr. I never understood the touchscreen thing.
There is a reason that tablets and smart phones comes with touch and not TrackPointClit(TM), and its not about cost or fooled customers. Touch actually is faster to use as you don't have to drag the pointer from one place to another with a predetermined speed or use additional buttons to mark an area, zoom or rotate. Navigating menus, zooming and rotating images is much faster easier trough touch.

TrackPoint are nice for some computer tasks, but I wont have it on a camera.
02-03-2016, 03:23 AM   #731
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
TrackPoint are nice for some computer tasks...
Yeah, like for moving your pointer around when you don't happen to have a proper mouse. Other than that, they are a PITA. Just my opinion.
02-03-2016, 05:10 AM   #732
ogl
Banned

FIVE main controls - two dial wheels - front and down, big universal wheel and two small joysticks

SEVEN main controls - four dial wheels - front and back, multiway joystick and two small joysticks
02-03-2016, 05:41 AM   #733
Pentaxian

Point being?
02-03-2016, 05:45 AM   #734
ogl
Banned

New Pentax has new upper wheel and no joysticks. Canon and Nikon are reportage cameras for quick access to AF selection and all settings.

K-1 will be positioned in another way
02-03-2016, 05:54 AM   #735
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-1 will be positioned in another way
With the eye, like eos-5 ?