Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1 pics new update with da lenses this time

Full Frame by PENTAX | RICOH IMAGING

12-24-2015, 05:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I retire at the end of March, this may be my retirement present to myself. (I avoided he use gift as it may confuse our German speaking members.)

It looks like certain DA lenses may work just fine in the full framer mode. It does seem that the images released so fare are more snapshot than pro quality. And of course an image of a squirrel.
12-24-2015, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #3

Squirrels....the Ricoh folks are surely following this forum. In a week or two they will update their site with reptile immages.
12-24-2015, 06:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
Thanks for sharing. Good to know that DA560 also fully supports FF... I used to believe 560 is most expensive APS-C lens..

Last edited by starjedi; 12-24-2015 at 06:23 AM.
12-24-2015, 06:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

This is an interesting statement:

QuoteQuote:
The APS-C setting records only the image captured within the APS-C image circle where the resolution is higher than peripheral areas.
I feel something is being lost in translation here, but could it possibly mean that the pixel density is not uniform across the sensor???? OR are they referring to the fact that the best parts of an FA lens are in the centre? Time will tell.

QuoteQuote:
The AUTO setting automatically selects the appropriate image size for the lens mounted on the camera. It selects either a 35mm full-frame image size for D FA- and FA-series lenses, or an APS-C image size for DA- and DA L-series lenses.
This is very informative. Basically, it seems anything prior to an FA series lens will require you to set FF mode manually (important if you were in crop mode previously).

The best part of all, of course, is that they have confirmed the existence of full-time manual override, and the nature and number of crop modes (i.e. one). Now all that remains is to see how they have managed what we see in the viewfinder.

Last edited by pathdoc; 12-24-2015 at 06:32 AM.
12-24-2015, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zmohie, thanks for sharing this. I like the fact that they have the FF mode and you can make the decisions. Really having all three of these modes makes sense, as long as you don't forget which you are in.
12-24-2015, 06:52 AM   #7
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote

I feel something is being lost in translation here, but could it possibly mean that the pixel density is not uniform across the sensor???? OR are they referring to the fact that the best parts of an FA lens are in the centre? Time will tell.
They must be referring to the resolution of the lens.

12-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
They must be referring to the resolution of the lens.
On reflection that's what I thought as well, but I know how much we all love a good crazy hypothesis.
12-24-2015, 07:10 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This was useful but I would love more detail on this point.

QuoteQuote:
The APS-C setting captures all images in an APS-C image size, regardless of the lens**, while displaying a cropping frame in the camera’s viewfinder.
12-24-2015, 07:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If they can display the focus point as a red square, they can surely display a cropping frame in the same manner.
12-24-2015, 07:14 AM   #11
Ole
Administrator

My crazy hypothesis regarding the almost too perfect FF images from DA lenses is that the camera corrects for the likely excessive vignetting these lenses produce. Perhaps it even employs a graduted unsharp mask, increasing the effect towards the corners?
12-24-2015, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
My crazy hypothesis regarding the almost too perfect FF images from DA lenses is that the camera corrects for the likely excessive vignetting these lenses produce.
Mine is that they've been doing their testing and have chosen only those lenses (so far) that play well in FF mode.
12-24-2015, 07:32 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
This is very informative. Basically, it seems anything prior to an FA series lens will require you to set FF mode manually (important if you were in crop mode previously).

The best part of all, of course, is that they have confirmed the existence of full-time manual override, and the nature and number of crop modes (i.e. one). Now all that remains is to see how they have managed what we see in the viewfinder.
Ricoh could always rebadge and re-chip the existing DA lenses in production that have acceptable FF image circles as DFA. And Ricoh could flag the un-rebadge versions in firmware to use FF in auto mode.
12-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
Squirrels....the Ricoh folks are surely following this forum. In a week or two they will update their site with reptile immages.
Certainly cats as well...
12-24-2015, 09:32 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
I had no idea that Rupert is product testing for Ricoh. I wonder if Otis knows Rupert is cheating on him?