Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: what's the next camera for photokina
k1000? (or new entry level below k200d) 9443.72%
small street shooter ie dp1 177.91%
FF with either 645 or k mount 8238.14%
no new camera (maybe a firmware update to make the battery monitor better 4922.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2008, 12:49 AM   #31
Forum Member

Something that can compete directly with the 40D/50D and D300, and perhaps punch a little bit higher will be the flagship announced in Koln.

I think a K2000D will be fighting a very limited market, and users will end up buying a telephoto, so I think something to get people in to buy the accessories is the way for Pentax to go..

Having toyed with the Sonys at the electronics shop at Schiphol I was dismayed as to how CHEAP they felt, the EOS 450D feels better than the A700; the less said about the Olympuses the better..

07-10-2008, 05:52 AM   #32
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes I voted FF but really think it will be a step up from the K20D with higher frame rates etc.
08-16-2008, 12:23 AM   #33
Inactive Account

What I Want, I Didn't Vote For

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
Alright, lots of rumors about what we are going to see at photokina. So place your bet in the poll.
All I'm willing to pay for, and have the money saved up for, is a 'pancake camera'; and I don't need cheap, I want high build quality. But, that's not what I voted for. I suspect that the ridiculous, expensive, backward-looking stupidity of FilmFrame will be announced (but not be shipping for some time) to satisfy those who are trying to recapture their youth, others who buy on the basis of single factor jargon and Samsung who are trying to compensate for something... On one hand that's good as I won't have to spend any money, but also bad as my gamble that buying the complete pancake set for an upcoming camera to match them will have been based on an incorrect assumption. I'm not that stressed about it though as I love my DS!
If they come out with another kick-butt APS-C camera that has features that only are supported with DFA's or newer. I will laugh and laugh and laugh at everyone who overpaid for FA series lenses or bought third party FF lenses instead of the modern, superior gems that the DA's are. I'm so happy I replaced the most over-hyped lens ever: the FA-77; with a DA70. You know what they say about assumptions (FF'ers and "pancakers")? "To assume make an A** of U and ME (A**-U-ME)".
If I was them, I would try to pull off a sub-$5000 digital 645 with a K-mount lens converter, a K20D 'upgrade' (K21D), my wished for pancake camera (pocketable, collapsible like a Transformers toy) at about $1,500 w/the DA35 macro and a Samsung sensor in a K200D replacement. And, intimate through back channels ONLY that a FF is 'under serious consideration' for sub-$2,500.
The nightmare scenario for me would be no new camera, or only minor revisions, and a FF 'announcement'.
Since I'm speculating, I would like to see all the Pentax lenses available for the other major mounts too. Apple shocked everyone by making a Windows iPod so it's a proven strategy and would help Hoya's glass business.
Reviewing what I just wrote and thinking about it, I would be surprised to see anything more than the Samsung-sensored K200D replacement and firm shipping dates on more DA lenses but I hope I'm disappointed and something really radical (but not FF-related) happens.
There. Now FF will happen for sure. Happy?
08-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only thing being announced at Photokina will be the official merger with Samsung, some company embroidered crying towels and a nice new line of rose-colored binoculars that can see into the future.

08-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I'm not sure Pentax will deliver it this year, but what I want is a "HIGH QUALITY" entry-level body. What do I mean by that?

1) I want a compact, lightweight DSLR body that is as small and light weight (or smaller/lighter) than my old *ist DL. Every DSLR that Pentax made since the original DL has been larger and heavier. I still keep the DL in my bag even though I have a pair of K10D bodies for work because sometimes I just want the smallest and lightest DSLR that I can use.

2) I want an APS-C size image sensor with 10-14 megapixel resolution and the same gorgeous in-camera processing found on the K200D and K20D. I don't want a full-frame sensor in this body because it's an entry-level body AND I want to use it with my compact DA Limited lenses.

3) The continuous/burst performance needs to be at least 3fps for a minimum of 10 RAW+JPEG files, 12-15 RAW files, and UNLIMITED JPEGs. Any photographer will tell you this isn't a "practical" issue ... I want this type of continuous/burst performance because it will make the critics shut up and it will distinguish Pentax's entry-level DSLR from others.

4) The body needs a solid feel. By that, I mean that although it needs to be small and light it needs to feel like you're holding a quality piece of photographic equipment and not a hollow piece of junk. Essentially, I want a camera like looks like it was made to match the beauty of the DA Limited lenses.

5) The body needs to be compatible with both new Pentax SDM lenses and older lenses (not like Nikon and their new lens mount that doesn't work in autofocus with older screw-drive lenses).

6) Obviously, in-camera SR is mandatory ... so don't try to tell me that you have to sacrifice SR for a lightweight camera.

7) The price has to stay below $500 MSRP because the new Pentax entry-level body has to compete directly with the Olympus E-420 and all the Canon XT bodies that still retail is stores for close to $400.
08-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #36
Site Supporter

I don't know what is worse, waiting to know or when we find out, that it / they fall well short of what Pentax users are looking for. I for one hope the come out with a D300 type system which has limited competition at this time. I seriously looked at the 300 but kept telling myself... hold off.. Pentax will announce a camera worth the wait! What ever they do lets' hope it sells enough to get the third party lens builders making their product quicker for Pentax users. I know why the wait [market share] but the wait at times can get people thinking if they made the right choice going with Pentax... Great camera.. but its time Pentax became a true player the mid to upper end systems. JIMBO
08-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I don't know what is worse, waiting to know or when we find out, that it / they fall well short of what Pentax users are looking for. I for one hope the come out with a D300 type system which has limited competition at this time. I seriously looked at the 300 but kept telling myself... hold off.. Pentax will announce a camera worth the wait! What ever they do lets' hope it sells enough to get the third party lens builders making their product quicker for Pentax users. I know why the wait [market share] but the wait at times can get people thinking if they made the right choice going with Pentax... Great camera.. but its time Pentax became a true player the mid to upper end systems. JIMBO
If the D300 is the right camera and the Nikon system suits you why wouldn't you jump ship? I mean, just do it if you think it is the right tool for you...
08-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #38
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
I'm not sure Pentax will deliver it this year, but what I want is a "HIGH QUALITY" entry-level body. What do I mean by that?

1) I want a compact, lightweight DSLR body that is as small and light weight (or smaller/lighter) than my old *ist DL. Every DSLR that Pentax made since the original DL has been larger and heavier. I still keep the DL in my bag even though I have a pair of K10D bodies for work because sometimes I just want the smallest and lightest DSLR that I can use.

2) I want an APS-C size image sensor with 10-14 megapixel resolution and the same gorgeous in-camera processing found on the K200D and K20D. I don't want a full-frame sensor in this body because it's an entry-level body AND I want to use it with my compact DA Limited lenses.

3) The continuous/burst performance needs to be at least 3fps for a minimum of 10 RAW+JPEG files, 12-15 RAW files, and UNLIMITED JPEGs. Any photographer will tell you this isn't a "practical" issue ... I want this type of continuous/burst performance because it will make the critics shut up and it will distinguish Pentax's entry-level DSLR from others.

4) The body needs a solid feel. By that, I mean that although it needs to be small and light it needs to feel like you're holding a quality piece of photographic equipment and not a hollow piece of junk. Essentially, I want a camera like looks like it was made to match the beauty of the DA Limited lenses.

5) The body needs to be compatible with both new Pentax SDM lenses and older lenses (not like Nikon and their new lens mount that doesn't work in autofocus with older screw-drive lenses).

6) Obviously, in-camera SR is mandatory ... so don't try to tell me that you have to sacrifice SR for a lightweight camera.

7) The price has to stay below $500 MSRP because the new Pentax entry-level body has to compete directly with the Olympus E-420 and all the Canon XT bodies that still retail is stores for close to $400.

You gonna have your wish granted and in less than 6 weeks @ Photokina we will see it in "flesh". Don't get your hopes up for the buffer since even the K200D has this unexplainable shortcoming. And I don't know about price either considering the fact that Pentax (unlike the others) alignes the prices according to currency parity (so more USD as long as the Euro it's strong). But for sure it will make a very nice first time kit and also a pretty companion to the limiteds for us (as a second body).

Radu

08-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
If the D300 is the right camera and the Nikon system suits you why wouldn't you jump ship? I mean, just do it if you think it is the right tool for you...
Thanks for the advise... This is a new hobby for me. [less then a year] Made a choice of the K10 and have been happy with the system. Like most people that own a camera, we dream of the next upgrade and hope it fits what we would like to see, of coarse until the next go around, where it starts all over again. Cheers. JIMBO
08-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I have to agree with RaduA above. New and improved K20D, with higher fps, better AF, tweaked live view etc. Something to directly compete with the Canon 40D and the Nikon D300.
I don't see them going for a FF camera or a medium format. The dark horse for me would be a stripped down entry level, but I personally find that doubtful.

NaCl(thats my story and I'm sticking to it)H2O
i second this, aka K20Ds.
08-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
"I want" as in "a gift" or "I want" as in "I'll pay 2500 Euro for it"?

This is exactly why Pentax won't come out with such a camera because many say "I want" and very few will actualy pay for it. Very bad business decission!

Radu
Correct.

No new cameras is my guess...
08-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I think Pentax really needs a K20Ds; but you are all being a bit unrealistic.

It's taken Canon years of R&D and millions of dollars to develop the fast shutter and AF technologies. And Pentax with their meagre budget (sure Hoya has money, but not more than Canon, I'm sure) will have to pull rabbits out of their asses to make it happen in a couple of months.