Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2015, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-3II wins Digicame Readers' Choice Award 2015 in Japan.

Click here English translation.

Click here for original article.

12-30-2015, 06:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Darn good result! Mind you, I have to lie down now after struggling with the English translation.
12-30-2015, 07:16 AM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Japanese know what they're doing!
12-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
The Japanese know what they're doing!
Which is just as well, since Google Translate doesn't!

Actually we should be thankful for it as it's better than nothing, but languages which are significantly different from each other in their basic sentence structure are always going to give hassles. Things get even worse when your language is based on characters whose meanings can change in context. I vaguely recall from a Berlitz phrasebook I read once that Japanese in at least one of its written forms is basically a phonetic character set, which at least lets you put the words together and go from there, but still... scary difficult. I would sooner try and read Russian; at least some of the letters are common, and most of the rest are easy to learn or can be guessed from context.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Mind you, I have to lie down now after struggling with the English translation.
The basic idea I got was that the K-3 was pretty good, the K3-II showed there was still a lot for APS-C to offer, and now with a full-frame coming, things can only get better for Pentax.

12-30-2015, 07:56 AM - 7 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Darn good result! Mind you, I have to lie down now after struggling with the English translation.
Their translation reads better as free-form poetry!

Canon called two strong,
was standing in the imposing top
suppressing the Nikon,
it was PENTAX K-3 II Ricoh imaging.

Originally was high
successor to the K-3
degree of perfection.
While basic route inherits, and
realistic-resolution system
that takes advantage of
SR mechanism,
such as
ASTROTRACER
in
only within
the body
by the built-in
GPS,
was conspicuous innovation
that are not found
in
other
brands.

Yet the concept with an eye
to the outdoor
shooting,
such as landscapes
and nature
without any blur,
even in APS-C model
that aging progresses,
it taught me
that
you have left
that
still could do.

It is often PENTAX
of avid fans,
but in the spring
next year
met with 35mm
full-size
machine
also appear,
it is likely to show
a further upsurge.
12-30-2015, 08:56 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
that Japanese in at least one of its written forms is basically a phonetic character set, which at least lets you put the words together and go from there
While Japanese has two phonetic character sets (hiragana and katakana), a typical sentence isn't going to be written out phonetically. Most of the sentences in the original article are a mixture of three or four character sets.

Katakana is generally used for borrowed foreign words, so you can pick out words like 'coffee' and 'pizza', but that won't give you the most critical elements, which are usually kanji (similar to Chinese characters). Hiragana are used to modify the kanji grammatically; if you don't know the kanji, you won't have any idea what is being said about the coffee or done with the coffee. They also mix in Western letters, (romaji); for instance, the name of the magazine, "Digital Camera Watch", is written デジカメ Watch. (katakana de zhi ka me = digicame, or digital camera)

Last edited by THoog; 12-31-2015 at 04:43 PM.
12-30-2015, 08:58 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
While Japanese has two phonetic character sets (hiragana and katakana), a typical sentence isn't going to be written out phonetically. Most of the sentences in the original article are a mixture of three or four character sets.

Katakana is generally used for borrowed foreign words, so you can pick out words like 'coffee' and 'pizza', but that won't give you the most critical elements, which are usually kanji (similar to Chinese characters). Hiragana are used to modify the kanji grammatically; if you don't know the kanji, you won't have any idea what is being said about the coffee or done with the coffee. They also mix in Western letters, (romaji), so the name of the magazine is written デジカメ Watch. (de zhi ka me = digicame, or digital camera.)
That is clearly much too complicated. I'll stick with the Google haiku translation...

12-31-2015, 03:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The things one learns on this forum never cease to amaze me!
12-31-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Good for Pentax at the end of a year and excellent for a new year.
Seems Pentax exciting time.
12-31-2015, 09:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I couldn't understand a thing but if k-3II is number one, followed 2 canons then the d7200 and 5th is the ks-2. That's first and the next is top 5. Not bad for Ricoh/Pentax. Pentax ended the year with a bang and will start 2016 with flying colors with the new FF. Congratulations Ricoh. You've kept Pentax alive.
01-01-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Also Pentax-Ricoh is flanking the top 10 underdogs list of 2015 from digitalrev http://bokeh.digitalrev.com/article/these-are-the-10-underdogs-of-2015
01-07-2016, 12:50 AM - 2 Likes   #12
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

English translation (and K-S2 ranks at 5th place).

This is interesting, thanks superpowerpinger for posing this. I'm a Japanese but it's a long time since I left, and I had no idea about the popularity of any brand over there these days. K-3 II is at the top with a large margin, K-S2 ranks at 5th following Nikon D7200, indeed RICOH/Pentax is doing well at least as far as enthusiasts are concerned.

Following the link in the article, it's also worth noting that RICOH's Theta S was the runner-up in the readers pick awards for fixed-lens cameras.

Anyway, here's my quick translation of the DSLR awards article in http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/special/dcaward/20151230_737435.html. My comments are marked by italic in double parentheses ((like this)).

Results are in! Readers pick "Digicame Watch Award 2015", DSLR class.

Certain manufacturer's done darn well!
Also certain ultra-high megapixel camera ranked high.

(2015/12/30 14:00)

Following yesterday's article ((about the awards for fixed-lens cameras)), we're opening the results for the readers pick "Digicame Watch Award 2015", this time for DSLRs. This award is based on readers' votes. Each reader was asked to select up to 5 cameras announced this year.

DSLR class:
Voting was open from Dec 18 to 26, 2015
Total votes: 2987
Method: Readers go to the special web page and select up to 5 cameras.

In this 2015 Award, 10 new DSLR cameras were nominated. These days the product cycle is getting longer, and manufacturers wouldn't push out cameras after cameras like they used to. Nevertheless, we got a large number of votes and this class of cameras still seems to be very popular.

DSLR class nominees and their points:

EOS 5Ds, 718 points, 24.0%
EOS 5Ds R, 899 points, 30.1%
EOS 8000D, 296 points, 9.9%
EOS Kiss X8i, 102 points, 3.4%
D5500, 429 points, 14.4%
D810A, 463 points, 15.5%
D7200, 578 points, 19.4%
Leica S (Typ007), 244 points, 8.2%
PENTAX K-S2, 545 points, 18.2%
PENTAX K-3 II, 1397 points, 46.8%

Read this article for fixed lens camera awards.
Results for mirrorless awards will be opened later. ((Later they did so in this article.))

Winner: PENTAX K-3 II (RICOH Imaging), 1397 points.
The distinct winner, beating the Big Two Canon and Nikon, was RICOH Imaging's PENTAX K-3 II.

This camera inherited the basics of its predecessor K-3, which was already a mature product, and they added new features unavailable from other brands, e.g. Pixel Shift Resolution System exploiting the SR mechanism, and Astro-tracer using built-in GPS.

Even then ((i.e. even though they've implemented these rather new features)), the developers aren't astray and are still paying attention to the camera's core strength, e.g. performance outdoors for landscape and nature ((the original Japanese sentence is not exactly clear to me, and I had to guess what the author wanted to imply)). This tells us that one can still do new things to improve already well-matured products like APSC cameras.

PENTAX is known for its enthusiast user base. They'll have even more fun next year given that a new full-frame is coming.

((A list of 7 articles for K-3 II follows.))

2nd place: EOS 5Ds R (Canon), 899 pts.
3rd place: EOS 5Ds (Canon), 718 pts.
The second and the third place winners were Canon EOS 5Ds R and 5Ds, respectively.
The impact left by 50.6 megapixel sensor hasn't faded from your memory yet, has it?
I think it's fair to say that Canon made revenge against D800/D800A (36.3 Mp) from 3 years ago.

EOS 5Ds R and EOS 5Ds are brothers, the only difference is one is without low pass filter. It's regrettable that points were split to these two cameras due to the rule of this award, but respectably the combined points of these two was larger than the winner K-3 II.

((A list of 6 articles for 5Ds and 5Ds R follows.))

4th place: D7200 (Nikon), 578 pts.
D7200 increased the buffer size that was the weakness of its predecessor D7100, improving the continuous shooting performance.
A body that feels as compact as it looks, 1.0X viewfinder, strong AF, updated EXPEED 4 image processing engine, usable ISO of 25600 that has 2-stops advantage over the predecessor. Sounds like the highest level of maturity in Nikon DX format.

On a casual look this may seem like a minor change. However, they’re steadily improving the basic performance for day-to-day use, honing things toward perfection. Isn’t this one of the directions conscientious manufactures should take for the development of new DSLRs?

((A list of 4 articles for D7200.))

5th place: PENTAX K-S2 (RICOH Imaging), 545 pts.
Just like K-3 II, I've heard many around me commenting that this camera "pokes the right point" ((indicating that it gets something right, just like a good therapist somehow presses the right trigger points in massaging or puts needles in the right acupuncture points)) and should be well received by those with some taste.

If you ask me I'd say this is more of an entry class camera, but it has the right basic feature set as a DSLR, e.g. 1.0X viewfinder, water- and dust-resistant body, 20.12 Mp CMOS sensor, SR, and double control wheels. Black and orange color scheme is fresh as if to show their willingness to try something new.

The readers liked these, and the camera ended up beating the entry class Canon and Nikon. I have to say that the readers totally impressed me.

((A list of 4 articles for K-S2.))

Last edited by kwb; 01-07-2016 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Added the URI of the original article.
01-07-2016, 04:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Note that, if you add the scores of Canon 5Ds (718 pts) and 5Ds R (899 pts), you obtain a score of 1,617 points, higher than that of K-3 II (1,397 pts).
01-07-2016, 05:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Note that, if you add the scores of Canon 5Ds (718 pts) and 5Ds R (899 pts), you obtain a score of 1,617 points, higher than that of K-3 II (1,397 pts).
...and there it is!
01-07-2016, 05:30 AM   #15
Pentaxian

still The K-3 II is getting a lot of votes. Hopefully reflected in sales in Japan (and this was not just a campaign from Japanese Pentaxians skewing the poll )