Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Great news and those screenshots look really good. Unfortunately no os x version.
SBH,

I am not attempting this tethering at this time, however I downloaded a software called CROSSOVER about 1.5 years ago that allows me to run Windows based programs on my Macbook Pro. I don't know if it would help with this application, but it is not expensive.

JB

01-24-2016, 05:19 PM - 5 Likes   #17

A little history about 'pkTriggerCord'

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
To my American ear, the word "just" implies a lesser process, so "native Linux" as compared to "just ported to Windows" implies that the Windows version is inferior. I asked my question in the hope that someone would explain in simple words why we would expect that to be true. That question is 100% appropriate as a followup here to the statement originally made here.
Let me explain a little bit history of 'pkTriggerCord'.

To my knowledge, the first open source project about controlling Pentax camera via USB port is 'PK-Remote', PK-Remote Home Page , from 2008 to 2009. PK-Remote is developed in C under Linux, includes both CLI and GUI, and GTK+ library was used for the GUI.

After 2009, there wasn't much activity in the project, and no one response the mailing list anymore. So, some people interested it began to build their own modification of the project. There are 3 most famous projects: 'gPhoto', 'PK-Tether', and 'pkTriggerCord'.

Around 2010, tomaszkos ported 'PK-Remote' to Windows, https://sites.google.com/a/pentax.org.pl/tomaszkos/en/pkremote-for-windows , and later, he decided to rewrite the program in C#, so it would have better GUI experience in Windows compare to GTK+, and C# is much easier than C for the development. That is where 'PK-Tether' came from. News | PK_Tether – Tethering Software for Pentax DSLR Cameras , It's not open source, and stopped development in 2012, the last version is 0.7.0.

About the end of 2010, Andras Salamon, tried to submit a patch to 'PK-Remote', as said before, no one response, PK-Remote / Patches / #3 Pentax K-x support . So, he decided to create its own open source project, 'pkTriggerCord', based on the original 'PK-Remote' project and tomaszkos' Windows port.

Through the years, pkTriggerCord project is still under development, much more cameras supports added since it's created. And the project page have moved from sourceforge.net to github: https://github.com/asalamon74/pktriggercord

It's welcome to raise any issue here: https://github.com/asalamon74/pktriggercord/issues , or contact Andras directly.

The latest news is K-3/K-3 II support and K-S1/K-S2 experimental support added. I'm the one who added K-3/K-3 II support in 'pkTriggerCord', my development environment is Ubuntu/Linux 64-bit, and I only have K-3 camera. Although I believe K-3 and K-3 II should be very similar in the protocol, however, I never tested on K-3 II, so I'm so glad to hear it's working on K-3 II as well. And unfortunately, I don't have Windows machine, so I never compiled and tested for Windows, but I didn't touch the SCSI system call parts, so it should work if it works before.

During my test, several commands might changed internally in K-3, so they are not working: Green button, Bulb and Continuous shooting. Currently, bootcorder and I working on understanding the firmware, so we will have better understanding of the protocol later, that might solve some of the problems in the future. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/250555-resurrect...ml#post3497814

For the technical details, pkTriggerCord use SCSI passthrough interface to communicate with camera, it's using the standard 'scsi_generic' driver in Linux, and it's using 'IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT' in Windows. Here is the different implementation for Linux and Windows:

https://github.com/asalamon74/pktriggercord/blob/master/pslr_scsi_linux.c
https://github.com/asalamon74/pktriggercord/blob/master/pslr_scsi_win.c

And GTK+ is cross-platform GUI library, they shouldn't be much difference for both platform.

I hope this will answer your question.

Best Regards,
Tao Wang

---------- Post added 01-25-16 at 11:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Great news and those screenshots look really good. Unfortunately no os x version.
OSX doesn't support SCSI passthrough interface, as Apple think it's not good way to do things. To support OSX, a specific kernel driver must be developed, which is hard. I use OSX as well, to develop and test pkTriggerCord, I installed a Ubuntu virtual machine by using VirtualBox. One thing to notice is that you need to bind Pentax camera USB device to the VM, otherwise, OSX will happily hold the camera, and will not let your Ubuntu to have it.

QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote

The real work happens in protocol level. How to get something out of the camera which is platform independent. I believe, someone could make this work with Atmel AVRmega328 if wanted.

Building Windows binary would be rather straight forward, but I don't know as I haven't ever tried build anything on Windows. OS X support would need to get the SCSI interface support for application.
You're definitely right, pktriggercord support RasPi and Android, although they are still kind of Linux, but as long as the platform support SCSI passthrough interface, you can implemented it right a way. Here is the SCSI protocol document I wrote, you can have a look: https://github.com/asalamon74/pktriggercord/blob/master/pentax_scsi_protocol.md

I never compiled for Windows, but it shouldn't be hard, as it's using cross-compiler under Linux, so we can build Windows executable under Linux.

Last edited by taowang; 01-24-2016 at 05:54 PM.
01-25-2016, 12:10 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by taowang Quote
I hope this will answer your question.
Thank you very much for that enlightenment
01-25-2016, 03:57 AM   #19
sbh
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Take-5-JB Quote
SBH,

I am not attempting this tethering at this time, however I downloaded a software called CROSSOVER about 1.5 years ago that allows me to run Windows based programs on my Macbook Pro. I don't know if it would help with this application, but it is not expensive.

JB
Thanks, looks interesting. I'll give it a try.

Let me explain a little bit history of 'pkTriggerCord'.

OSX doesn't support SCSI passthrough interface, as Apple think it's not good way to do things. To support OSX, a specific kernel driver must be developed, which is hard. I use OSX as well, to develop and test pkTriggerCord, I installed a Ubuntu virtual machine by using VirtualBox. One thing to notice is that you need to bind Pentax camera USB device to the VM, otherwise, OSX will happily hold the camera, and will not let your Ubuntu to have it.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.

03-12-2016, 05:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Worth mentioning that v 0.83 works quite well. https://github.com/asalamon74/pktriggercord/releases/download/v0.83.00/pktri....83.00-win.zip
Not all functions, but for typical tethered situations like in product shooting it's fine.
03-12-2016, 06:37 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it runs on Linux you can run it on a Mac...no?
03-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If it runs on Linux you can run it on a Mac...no?
You might need to do recompile it, but you should be able to get code working.
If it can run on UNIX systems you should be able to get some version working on Mac...
03-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #23
sbh
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You might need to do recompile it, but you should be able to get code working.
If it can run on UNIX systems you should be able to get some version working on Mac...
I don't have the slightest idea what that means... but it would be great.

03-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #24

OS X and Linux look much like each other. However device drivers are totally different. And as stated few messages ago, OS X don't let you access SCSI over USB. So no PK triggercord fo OS X.
04-23-2016, 05:40 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried it with K-5 IIs and it works. Here are some screenshots, if anyone's interested.

Postimage.org / gallery - pktrigger k 5iis 1, pktrigger k 5iis 2, pktrigger k 5iis 3

Let's you select the focus point, click to focus, trigger, then auto saves and gets thumbs and image preview

===
Update: if you set it up with Lightroom Auto-Import feature (with monitored folder) it turns into a nice auto preview and import configuration. It doesn't require to trigger the shutter from the computer, you can shoot normally with the camera and the files are auto-imported into Lightroom, from the folder that pk trigger is using.

===
Update 2: it did however froze after 10 or so shots, and I had to take out the battery from the camera.

Last edited by ZeljkoS; 04-23-2016 at 06:50 AM.
05-01-2016, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Update 2: it did however froze after 10 or so shots, and I had to take out the battery from the camera.
In settings you will see options to auto-save and auto-delete (not sure of exact names as I'm away from home currently.)
Check both of them.

The image will be auto-saved to your desired folder (presumably the one you set and linked to Lightroom import ?) and then the preview is deleted when the next shot is taken.

Otherwise the preview stays in the camera buffer awaiting your actions...save, delete, etc...and when the buffer is full and it is still trying to write to it...guess what happens.

Edit.. ok, just looked at your screen-shots..see bottom left it says auto-save and below that auto-delete..check both.
Yes it looks like it says 'auto-delete Folder' but they are two different settings. the 'Folder' refers to the folder you want the images saved in and links to the line above it showing image name and the counter to the right which will increment the images identification. If you hit the "browse" and set a folder on your computer the images will be dropped there named "tether-trigger.1..2..3.. etc. Link that folder to Lightroom import.

If I recall correctly each new startup of Pktriggercord will reset the numbering so at the end of each session move or rename the files in the target folder or they will be overwritten.

Last edited by bobD; 05-01-2016 at 03:48 PM.
05-01-2016, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #27

OSX doesn't support SCSI passthrough interface, as Apple think it's not good way to do things. To support OSX, a specific kernel driver must be developed, which is hard.
Annoyingly hard, but it looks like someone has done a lot of the work already: Blog Post, Source Code. But all of it is from seven years ago, so all the information there might no longer be applicable to modern OSX.