Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2008, 05:19 AM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
if you feel that the current digital pentax lineup needs an 18mm F3.5 lens, then by all means go nuts, except that i havent heard a good argument yet other than "its ziess so the optics must be better than anything else in the world"..

This must be the ultimate in stupidity. The fact that you don't need a 18/3.5 lens doesn't make it pointless. I don't need or want an 80-200/2.8 so it must be utterly pointless in todays lens line-up.

I have a Pentax 18/3.5 lens. It is wonderful lens. The fastest 18mm on the planet is only 0.5 stop faster. Making it faster, while maintaining optical quality, cost significantly and make a large lens even larger. faster max speed than 3.5 in a 18mm ultra wideangle is pointless.

08-13-2008, 06:30 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is turning into a flame thread, full of name callings and whining that never gets anywhere.
08-13-2008, 06:35 AM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
This must be the ultimate in stupidity. The fact that you don't need a 18/3.5 lens doesn't make it pointless. I don't need or want an 80-200/2.8 so it must be utterly pointless in todays lens line-up.

I have a Pentax 18/3.5 lens. It is wonderful lens. The fastest 18mm on the planet is only 0.5 stop faster. Making it faster, while maintaining optical quality, cost significantly and make a large lens even larger. faster max speed than 3.5 in a 18mm ultra wideangle is pointless.
READ WHAT YOU JUST QUOTED AGAIN

AND AGAIN

AND AGAIN

AND AGAIN

until you realize the error in what you have just written.
08-13-2008, 07:04 AM   #139
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
This is turning into a flame thread, full of name callings and whining that never gets anywhere.
It was a useless flame thread from post #2 down.

To summarize -

page # 1

argument # 1 - bad

argument # 2 - good

skip to page # 11

argument # 1 - BAD! ZOMG, CANT U C!

argument # 2 - GOOD! WTFBBQRUSH, R U DUM?

my prediction? page 32 should be sometime around 11am, when suddenly, someone will discover the argument that NOONE could come back to. An uneasy peace will settle across the land, and everyone will suddenly realize they are arguing about something that nobody has seen...

08-13-2008, 07:08 AM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote

argument # 2 - GOOD! WTFBBQRUSH, R U DUM?
08-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #141
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Originally Posted by Pål Jensen

READ WHAT YOU JUST QUOTED AGAIN

AND AGAIN

AND AGAIN

AND AGAIN

until you realize the error in what you have just written.

I agree with gooshin here, you should go back and read what you typed. as for zeiss... well I dont think that the glass zeiss produces is any better than pentax in fact if im not mistaken zeiss and pentax have worked togethor before, which should tell you something. pentax as far as I know has only produced one 18mm lens in K mount. the smc pentax (K) 18mm 3,5 and that would probably be very hard to find nowadays and probably be just as expensive as the zeiss so I can see how another one could be a good thing but not specifically because its zeiss.. thats as lame as saying to be a true street photographer you have to carry a leica and 28mm lens.... its just asinine. but if you want glass that equals in quality what the pentax 18mm 3,5 is I can see how the zeiss would be appealing but if you want AF and whatnot I am sure there are 18mm's from other brands. I know for a fact that the sigma 10-20 is highly regarded. so in the end I dont really think we 'need' another 18mm prime and there are other offerings currently from pentax and others that can cover that focal length.

all that aside its not about what we need its about the individual, which makes all of this rather pointless.
08-13-2008, 09:16 AM   #142
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
...but not specifically because its zeiss.. thats as lame as saying to be a true street photographer you have to carry a leica and 28mm lens.... its just asinine...
You were the only one who actually said that though, so you are calling yourself asinine, which is cool and interesting. Just thought I'd point that out.

...all that aside its not about what we need its about the individual, which makes all of this rather pointless.
Yes, this is true, but we'll never get to page 32 by 11am with comments like that.

(bring on page 11!)
08-13-2008, 09:34 AM   #143
Banned

QuoteQuote:
You were the only one who actually said that though, so you are calling yourself asinine, which is cool and interesting. Just thought I'd point that out.
no, that was meant as an example as I have read other posts within this thread that defend the need for this lens simply because its zeiss. maybe it was a bad example but you obviously misunderstood me.

QuoteQuote:
Yes, this is true, but we'll never get to page 32 by 11am with comments like that.
we shouldn't have this many pages, period. this whole discussion is pointless because everyone is arguing personal opinion as that of everyone, that gets nowhere.

...and yes I got the sarcasm...

08-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #144
Site Supporter

i said that once you get to poster sized prints you are going to start seeing a difference benefiting the SLR's

and even then, we are going in circles

my original point was that i feel that PENTAX does not need a 18mm F3.5 lens, that
is
****ing
all
!
And I respectufully pointed out that there might be others thinking otherwise, the entire comparison thing was started by yourself right here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/315223-post99.html

if you feel that the current digital pentax lineup needs an 18mm F3.5 lens, then by all means go nuts, except that i havent heard a good argument yet other than "its ziess so the optics must be better than anything else in the world".
Whats with all the bold letters and the angry attitude?
Say you like the 28mm f0cal length a lot, say you are a landscape shooter and actually (I know it is totally unthinkable in your world) prefers manual focus, then there is a hole in the K mount lineup.
If my main body was still APS-C, I would be in line for an 18mm manual focus prime. There you go.
Please refer to one post in this thread where I say "it is a zeiss, so it must be better than anything else in the world"
which i even confirmed by saying "if its as good as you guys say it is then maybe its worth, but who is to say that it will be?", since no one here has this lens.
Well, no but that is the case with every lens just announced and could work either way, however if the remaining lenses in the ZK lineup (and I speak from personal experience here) is any indication, then there is a good chance it will be a pretty decent lens.
oi vey, seriously guys give it a rest, its the same .
Agreed and I will do so, however it was your glorious self that directed the thread in that direction.
I am however quite guilty in following you down there

Last edited by wlank; 08-13-2008 at 03:56 PM.
08-13-2008, 01:04 PM   #145
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
If my main body was still APS-C, I would be in line for an 18mm manual focus prime. There you go.
)
I would be in line because it is an FF lens fitting a future Pentax FF camera; and my film bodies. Oh...I already have an 18/3.5, manual focus with buttersmooth helicoid - I must be stupid.
08-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I would be in line because it is an FF lens fitting a future Pentax FF camera; and my film bodies. Oh...I already have an 18/3.5, manual focus with buttersmooth helicoid - I must be stupid.
what future FF camera is this? you mean the one no one has a clue about?

film bodies? where did i ever mention anything about film bodies? did i build my arguments around film bodies? here, dont strain your brain, i didnt.

as for being stupid, if you think you are stupid i'm not going to stop you from thinking that.
08-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #147
Inactive Account

no, that was meant as an example as I have read other posts within this thread that defend the need for this lens simply because its zeiss. maybe it was a bad example but you obviously misunderstood me.

we shouldn't have this many pages, period. this whole discussion is pointless because everyone is arguing personal opinion as that of everyone, that gets nowhere.

...and yes I got the sarcasm...
ok! The game is this: you must produce this quote of which you speak - or be forever thought asinine... By your own hand! (in this thread). Take your time!

fwiw, you all should be ashamed. Not even one more page of drivel since my last visit. I came here on my phone just to be entertained and barely creased a snicker.
08-13-2008, 01:38 PM   #148
Veteran Member

ok! The game is this: you must produce this quote of which you speak - or be forever thought asinine... By your own hand! (in this thread). Take your time!

fwiw, you all should be ashamed. Not even one more page of drivel since my last visit. I came here on my phone just to be entertained and barely creased a snicker.
we can start a seperate topic and discuss the current Georgia/Russia events
08-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #149
Inactive Account

we can start a seperate topic and discuss the current Georgia/Russia events
Well... or that yes. How can we tie them in though?

QuoteOriginally posted by Reuters International:
Russian forces have broken the ceasefire brokered only yesterday by French president Nicholas Sarkozy. Apparently, the region of South Ossetia said they wanted autonomy to purchase high quality, manual helicoid primes. Georgia has a policy of cost saving optics to manage national debt and was unhappy at the unilateral decision by Ossetia to go ahead with the purchase. Russia, a long time copier of high quality optics, ramped up its peacekeeping efforts in the tiny nation and further has advanced forces into Georgia against the ceasefire in order to take a copy of a copy of a prototype Zeiss 18mm/3.5 to show them that for $18 (second hand), they too can make a high quality optic. Currently, the battle rages and the US has dispatched a C-17 full of 1 McDonalds franchise to put some shicken nuggets up in there.
08-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #150
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well... or that yes. How can we tie them in though?
You left out the part about the Russians coming in to bring all those fine old USSR lens in m42 mount to keep the Ossetians from falling into " Western Capitalism."