Review of the DIstagon
Zeiss Distagon 18mm f/3.5

09-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
Review of the DIstagon
Zeiss Distagon 18mm f/3.5
Thanks a lot for the link. That it is comparing that well to the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G, speaks well of the Zeiss.
For Pentax, I believe that it functions like a normal A-series lens.
09-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #153
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would expect it to compare will with any lens in the 16-20mm focal length. I mean, who wants a $1500 paper weight? I would like to have seen it compared to a prime lens though, maybe a Voightlander like the 15mm Heliar since production of the Zeiss bumped a new 18mm Voightlander.
09-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Thanks a lot for the link. That it is comparing that well to the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G, speaks well of the Zeiss.
For Pentax, I believe that it functions like a normal A-series lens.
Well I think it compares very well to the 14-24 and that is the same as calling it a darn impressive lens. Semms I will need to give it a testrun afterall.

It functions like an AIS lens on the D3, meaning that you will have to store the focal length and max aperture in the body to make it work properly, but then you gain matrix metering, the body reads the aperture setting on the lens as you turn the aperture ring, focal length and aperture are reported in exif and it has AF confirmation on all 51 AF points.

SO while not an error it is simply because the D3 it was used on was not fuly set up to work with the lens that it seems to behave a little odd.

And yes it should be a normal A lens on a penta body.

09-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
Well I think it compares very well to the 14-24 and that is the same as calling it a darn impressive lens. Semms I will need to give it a testrun afterall.

It functions like an AIS lens on the D3, meaning that you will have to store the focal length and max aperture in the body to make it work properly, but then you gain matrix metering, the body reads the aperture setting on the lens as you turn the aperture ring, focal length and aperture are reported in exif and it has AF confirmation on all 51 AF points.

SO while not an error it is simply because the D3 it was used on was not fuly set up to work with the lens that it seems to behave a little odd.

Thanks for the tips, I found it hard to understand that the Zeiss should work a lot better on Pentax than on Nikon. It didn’t make sense with what I’ve come across earlier.
I know that Zeiss is prime, expensive and all that, but I’m a bit shocked that it would hold its own that well to the über wide-angle zoom Nikon 14-24/2.8. But it is also completely crazy how good corner crop from both of those lenses are looking.

Good thing I can't afford any of them
09-13-2008, 10:23 PM   #156
Veteran Member

The Zeiss should have more flare than the Nikon 14-24/2.8, according to the Pro shooter and reviewer LLoyd Chambers :
diglloyd Blog: August 2008

He is a big fan on how the Zeiss lenses draw.
And he also states :
"The Zeiss ZF 28/2 Distagon offers great artistic possibilities at f/2 (for several different optical reasons). By comparison, an f/2.8 lens has 1.4X the depth of field of an f/2 lens, and thus loses such expressive potential. This is one reason that I wish Zeiss had made the 25/2.8 Distagon an f/2 design instead, and why a 20/f/1.4 would be appealing."

A 25/2 Zeiss lens, or 20/1.4 speed, would make the price skyrocket. But it for sure would be a tempting option .
09-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #157
Veteran Member

The Zeiss should have more flare than the Nikon 14-24/2.8, according to the Pro shooter and reviewer LLoyd Chambers :
diglloyd Blog: August 2008
Well, there is a downside to everything is there not...
Hmm going to CPH tomorrow... gotta see if i can find a copy somewhere.
Or perhaps while in the US in Early October.

He is a big fan on how the Zeiss lenses draw.
Yep so am I.

And he also states :
"The Zeiss ZF 28/2 Distagon offers great artistic possibilities at f/2 (for several different optical reasons). By comparison, an f/2.8 lens has 1.4X the depth of field of an f/2 lens, and thus loses such expressive potential. This is one reason that I wish Zeiss had made the 25/2.8 Distagon an f/2 design instead, and why a 20/f/1.4 would be appealing."

A 25/2 Zeiss lens, or 20/1.4 speed, would make the price skyrocket. But it for sure would be a tempting option .
Well I would have prefered a 31mm 1.4 personally, but my 28/2 is a very nice replacement.

No I think a reintroduction of the 21/2.8 distagon would be more than enough for me

09-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #158
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
digitalkamera.de: Neue Objektive von Zeiss jetzt auch mit EF-Bajonett

new 21/2.8 for Pentax and 3 lenses for Canon
09-14-2008, 09:58 PM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Now that is expensive news for me...

Thanks for that.
09-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #160
Inactive Account

Now that is expensive news for me...

Thanks for that.
You might have a solution to that

Leica lens on a Pentax camera
Zeiss Contax lens for Pentax cameras

Not bad, huh
09-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montecarlo Quote
You might have a solution to that

Leica lens on a Pentax camera
Zeiss Contax lens for Pentax cameras

Not bad, huh
Except I use this lenses on my D3 and not my pentax bodies...
09-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #162
Veteran Member

used Contax 21 Distagon's are ridiculously expensive due to Canon users despearate for UWA alternatives

although now wiwth today's ZE announcement and a possible ZE Distagon, things will get interesting.
09-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #163
Veteran Member

The Sigma may well appeal to current users..it needs to be good to compete with the 18-250 "walkabout" though....

the 18mm Carl Zeiss has me a bit bemused though I must admit, not really sure where their intended market is with this one ???

simon
09-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #164
Veteran Member

I still have my CZ 50 1.4 & 28 2.8 Planars and if I could would love to put them on my K10D.

Compared to my Nikon and Minolta lenses of the same focal length they are without peer

Sharpness, contrast, colour, lens build - damn I loved that pair and when my Contax 137 eventually collapsed to old age I just about cried

d
09-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #165
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Thanks for noticing Ogl.

I must admit that the 21/2.8 for K at that price does seem a bit confusing. 25/2.8 being around 850 (vs 1400 for the 21/2.8). Also, the 25 focuses to 0.17m with a 1:2.3 life scale while the 21 rates a 0.22 @ 1:5. hmph. Still and as always, I'd be beyond curious to see one on my K20 to know where the money went.

The best news is that perhaps there are enough ZKs selling to continue to release new ones.

K.