Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
Well, there is a downside to everything is there not...
Hmm going to CPH tomorrow... gotta see if i can find a copy somewhere.
Photografica has quite a nice selection of Zeiss glass, but then you already know that

Well I would have prefered a 31mm 1.4 personally, but my 28/2 is a very nice replacement.

No I think a reintroduction of the 21/2.8 distagon would be more than enough for me
Having the Nikon 14-24/2.8, do you go for Zeiss lenses for their rendering, great manual focus ability, prime quality, or what lures ?

What I would also welcome, would be a reissue of the original Zeiss / Pentax design 15mm f/3.5 rectilinear. Used it is still very expensive, so for a new version some might find it worth laying the extra amount. Particularly Canon users might like this, and it would eventually come to all mounts.
Nothing wrong with dreaming

09-17-2008, 01:27 AM   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Photografica has quite a nice selection of Zeiss glass, but then you already know that
I know, Iactually bought mine there and plan to pop by this afternoon

Having the Nikon 14-24/2.8, do you go for Zeiss lenses for their rendering, great manual focus ability, prime quality, or what lures ?
Welll it is a matter of focal lengths really.
the 14-24 is a stellar lens, particularly at the wide end of its range, thus less stellar at the 24mm end.
I bought it for the wide end and it just proved the best alternative in that range, however it does not take filters at all, I have used multiple exposures to cover the ND filter issue where posible, but sometimes it is nice to be able to mount a ND grad filter. My Zeiss 28/2 fits in a spot where the Nikkor line up is weak, there is a 3000 USD 28/1.4 from Nikkor on the second hand market, but I liked what I saw from the zeiss, the 85/1.4 I tested up against the nikkor equivalent and found it more to my liking. The excellent manual focus feel is another thing I like a lot, for much of my landscpe work I simply prefer that over an AF lens.
So simply put they have been chosen where they fitted my bill the best.
It may also be worth noting that so far I have no Zeiss lenses in the same range as the 14-24, the new Zeiss 21/2.8 may change that though

What I would also welcome, would be a reissue of the original Zeiss / Pentax design 15mm f/3.5 rectilinear. Used it is still very expensive, so for a new version some might find it worth laying the extra amount. Particularly Canon users might like this, and it would eventually come to all mounts.
Nothing wrong with dreaming
Sounds like an interesting lens
09-18-2008, 12:08 AM   #168
Veteran Member

Welll it is a matter of focal lengths really.
the 14-24 is a stellar lens, particularly at the wide end of its range, thus less stellar at the 24mm end.
I bought it for the wide end and it just proved the best alternative in that range, however it does not take filters at all, I have used multiple exposures to cover the ND filter issue where posible, but sometimes it is nice to be able to mount a ND grad filter. My Zeiss 28/2 fits in a spot where the Nikkor line up is weak, there is a 3000 USD 28/1.4 from Nikkor on the second hand market, but I liked what I saw from the zeiss, the 85/1.4 I tested up against the nikkor equivalent and found it more to my liking. The excellent manual focus feel is another thing I like a lot, for much of my landscpe work I simply prefer that over an AF lens.
So simply put they have been chosen where they fitted my bill the best.
It may also be worth noting that so far I have no Zeiss lenses in the same range as the 14-24, the new Zeiss 21/2.8 may change that though
Ok, thanks for the explanation.
There is also the Nikon 24-70 mm F2.8G ED. But maybe in the overlap, from these two new Nikon zoom lenses, primes will do better.

The zeiss 85/1.4 should indeed be an excellent performer.

Nikon does seem more appealing at the moment, with the D700 and D3. Compared to the Eos 5D Mark II, and 1Ds Mark III
09-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #169
Veteran Member

Ok, thanks for the explanation.
There is also the Nikon 24-70 mm F2.8G ED. But maybe in the overlap, from these two new Nikon zoom lenses, primes will do better.
No I just prefer primes in general and found that I did not really need a zoom in this range for anything work related.

The zeiss 85/1.4 should indeed be an excellent performer.
IT is indeed a very fine performer.

Nikon does seem more appealing at the moment, with the D700 and D3. Compared to the Eos 5D Mark II, and 1Ds Mark III
I had the choice between a 1DsIII and the D3 at the time, had a weekend with them and well me owning the D3 today is the outcome of that.
Would I like a really highres body, yes but I would generally prefer such body to be medium format and I have access to a digital back, should the need arise.
My own 645 Digital system is the next thing for me, but I am not quite in a position where I can justify the expense yet... however a pentax 645D would probably make me put down the money anyway