Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I would too. I've even pondered switching to Nikon ever since they came out with their 16-85mm. It's not a constant f/4 unfortunately, but from the reviews I've read it is wonderful lens.

To me size does matter though. As much as I'd like an f/2.8 16-90 (is that even physically possible?), I'm sure the size of such a lens would turn me off. I have no desire to lug a glass and metal brick around everywhere I go. That's why something light weight like that Sigma with a few lightweight prime or two stuffed in my pocket will suffice for me until my dream lens is made.
i dont think that collectively such a lens would be that heavy. (remember 1 vs 3)

and i think the technology is there to make it affordable

which is preciley why i vented my disappointment, i think its time everyone (manufacturers) stepped up and started building shit that was never possible or thought of before, instead they continue to feed to the needs of the general public who dont know any better.

and even then... some of the stuff isnt even "new"

my current weapon of choice for telephoto work is a constant F4.5 80-200mm Tokina, it is manual focus but has an A setting, this thing is a dream to work with, about the size of a coke can (slightly taller) with internal zooming mechanism (so nothing "sticks out" as you zoom) this thing is killer and has given me many sharp shots.

and the thing cost me 40 dollars! cash!

go and find even a slow constant aperture modern lens with auto-focus, fat chance, everything seems to be variable and plastic (my thing is metal!)

so.. yeah, i'm disappointed in Sigma for taking the easy road with this one.

06-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
this is why i'm planning on trying out the DA*16-50, since i dont shoot below F2.8 (or even 4 for that matter), and my tests proove the IQ sufficient, i can sell my 18mm, 21mm, 28mm, 35mm and my 43 mm, giving me better versatility, SDM/HSM, and some money in my pocket!
In that case, while not SDM, you might want to consider the excellent DA16-45mm for even more cash in your pocket.
06-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

i am actualy!

but i DO like to shoot F2.8 from time to time, which is why its up in the air.
06-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #19
MrA

ohh great, more useless lenses

why dont they make something cool... some super fast primes like a 30-35mm that are F1.4 or F1.2 ... i mean, hey, Canon has an F0.95 50mm... why cant pentax?

sigh...
35mm f1.4? They did that 30 years ago...

(although wider availability would be nice...)

06-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Has anyone here actually used a Sigma hyperzoom?

Horrendous is the word. Enjoy the very finest in barrel distortion at the wide end, pincushion at the long end, and purple fringing all around!

It's a zoom for those who can't be bothered. Sigh.

I don't look forward to CR Kennedy strapping this to the next camera I buy.
06-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote

Horrendous is the word. Enjoy the very finest in barrel distortion at the wide end, pincushion at the long end, and purple fringing all around!

Which Sigma model are you referring to?
The sample photos of the Sigma 18-125mm don't look too bad.
07-01-2008, 02:02 AM   #22
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Us pentaxians have become something weird I have to say.
As much as I agree with gooshin, that those two lenses won't add much to Pentax line up (though I would consider 18mm prime), I have to say I don't think there will ever be anything to make us really happy.
When we don't have enough lens options, we moan...
then somebody brings out another 2 lenses, they are not good enough so we moan again...
then we wish for some "wonder lenses", and if/when they will bring them out...
you are right we will moan, because they will have "too much PF" or "too much distortion"
Life is hard, but hey isn't that what makes it beautifull?

07-01-2008, 02:06 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Is there a reason Carl Zeiss doesn't make AF lenses? I think they are all MF right?
07-01-2008, 02:40 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
Is there a reason Carl Zeiss doesn't make AF lenses? I think they are all MF right?
The CZ lenses made for Sony are AF but they cost quite a lot more. Sony ZA series (which has the electrical contacts, ROM-IC, and distance encoder) typically go for 400 Euros more just for the AF.
So many Nikon and Pentax uses have manual lenses in their collections from film days, so manual focus isn't a big deal for the veteran users.

Last edited by creampuff; 07-01-2008 at 02:54 AM.
07-01-2008, 05:12 AM   #25
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
I guess is less a technical issue as it is a commercial one. Some say that Sony has exclusivity from CZ for their mount, other say it's a pattent mount reason (CZ waits for the patents to expire on newer mounts in order to pay no license fees).

AFAIK all ZK and ZF lenses are made today by Cosina under CZ supervision and in the end it could be just simple economics. I seriously doubt that they make more than some thousands in a year so maybe the investment is not justified.

And believe me as long as CZ is more than just a name there always be people not just willing but eager to pay for their lenses. Some are very good and some are spectacular to say the least.

Radu
07-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote

What exactly is a "hyperzoom"?

I have the 17-70 and it's wonderful. The 50-500mm is said to have outstanding quality for it's range (but of course you're getting distortion with that).
07-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Why would Zeiss care what is already in Pentax's line-up?
They make their lenses for platforms on which they see a market for them.
So instead of making some comments based on "not fast enough", for a lens that would really shine stopped done taking it out to some nice vistas, why not wait until you see the final result?
We understand it's not for you, and there will be many who want it and won't be able to afford the Zeiss price tag, it's for someone, all this "It's crap/stupid" when it should be "Cool, someone who takes Pentax serious, too bad it's not what *I* am looking for" is just sad.
07-02-2008, 04:53 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
Why would Zeiss care what is already in Pentax's line-up?
They make their lenses for platforms on which they see a market for them.
So instead of making some comments based on "not fast enough", for a lens that would really shine stopped done taking it out to some nice vistas, why not wait until you see the final result?
We understand it's not for you, and there will be many who want it and won't be able to afford the Zeiss price tag, it's for someone, all this "It's crap/stupid" when it should be "Cool, someone who takes Pentax serious, too bad it's not what *I* am looking for" is just sad.
and there will be many who can afford it but wont want it,

why are YOU so sure that this lens will be of superior quality?

the OP stated that this lens will be made available for the Pentax Mount, i asked why would they bother?

if you believe that this lens will destroy the DA21 and DA14 (and the upcomming 15), well... thats your prerogative, but i dont.
07-02-2008, 07:21 AM   #29
Veteran Member

ohh great, more useless lenses

why dont they make something cool, like a 10mm F2.8 rectalinear prime, or a 16-50 F1.8 zoom
or hey, some super fast primes like a 30-35mm that are F1.4 or F1.2
i mean, hey, Canon has an F0.95 50mm... why cant pentax?
Prime lenses have a maaaaaaaajor draw back for many of us shooting outdoors. Yes: dust while changing them all the time.
So a good looooong zoom is always welcome for those circumstances.
07-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the OP stated that this lens will be made available for the Pentax Mount, i asked why would they bother?
They want to sell as many lenses as possible. Every extra unit sold brings the unit cost per lens down, and a better return of investment.

Isn't it a good thing that as the Pentax user base is slowly but surely increasing that 3rd party lens makers are now willing to sit up and offer lenses for K mount? More choice is a good thing.

The CZ 18mm Distagon might be overshadowed by current Pentax DA and digital only wide angle lenses but if Pentax does go FF, the Distagon will be a worthy ultra wideangle as it has a FF image circle. Good for photographers who want a lens that is future proof.