Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2016, 09:53 PM   #136
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I was a fully functional unit. It powered on and I tried a few lenses on there.
Fascinating. So what did the unmarked knob to the far right (if holding the camera and looking from behind it) do? Did the LCD menu system and screen display look the same from the K-3? anything special in the viewfinder? Spill the beans!

01-14-2016, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I have never questioned the picture quality, so no point in all those ********** bird pics...

I'm talking about real pro use..with features like AF, ISO + +

But with the new FF, Pentax will for sure be up there with the big boys!
In another thread, I said
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm not convinced that any pictures from them are going to do any good. They need to stop fooling around with the marketing and just get some cameras in the hands of real life users!!
My point was that simply displaying pictures (be they actually printed or on-line) isn't going to sell anyone on anything. What actual potential customers are going to need is to hear words of experience from people like you. And the fact is that you do have a tough job, and characteristics of this camera will benefit you more than they would benefit someone like me who takes many more pictures of birds than at concerts. I really realized that about a month ago when I went to a concert with my wife and daughters. The group performing became professionally successful because of video posted online, so they actually do encourage people to take still pictures and record video during their concerts. With the limited lighting they used, I was shooting at ISO 3200 most of the time, and the fog they use to make light beams stand out made the whole process of taking pictures all the more difficult. Taking pictures of wildlife can also be very difficult, but the nature of the difficulties is completely different, and I'm not convinced that this new camera will have features that will be particularly helpful there. If Pentax wants to compete for the wildlife business, they need to focus on longer lenses for smaller sensored cameras ... but that is not where their attention is right now, and that is OK.

Frankly, I am very tired of all this talking, but I don't have the discipline to stay away (and since I have a real job, I can't just take a month-long nap). I really wish Pentax would cut the drama and just roll this thing out, letting you and others get to work with it, and then we can move on to the next exercises in futility, complaining about the imperfections in this camera and second-guessing Pentax's next steps.
01-14-2016, 10:41 PM   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Fascinating. So what did the unmarked knob to the far right (if holding the camera and looking from behind it) do? Did the LCD menu system and screen display look the same from the K-3? anything special in the viewfinder? Spill the beans!
Sorry to disappoint. I just did not have enough time to get lots of stuff tested. I was totally caught off guard when I had the camera in my hand. It took me a few seconds to absorb the reality. I was not expecting it so I was not prepared.

Since I am looking to upgrade to the 645Z, I went to CES to take a closer look at medium format stuff. Next thing I know I am holding the most coveted DSLR in the world. Suffice it to say, I like what I saw. This thing is a serious machine. I am going to wait on the 645Z acquisition and take a closer look at the FF when It comes out. This pony can do tricks that surprised me and it will surprise a lot of people. I can't wait to put a production model in my camera bag.

Last edited by btnapa; 01-15-2016 at 07:29 AM. Reason: text
01-15-2016, 12:54 AM - 3 Likes   #139
Veteran Member

I was a fully functional unit. It powered on and I tried a few lenses on there.
Did it mirror flap at least once, and lock-up once or twice too, and be unable to power-down?
If it didn't, are you sure it was a genuine Pentax?

[just joking].

01-15-2016, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #140
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Did it mirror flap at least once, and lock-up once or twice too, and be unable to power-down?
If it didn't, are you sure it was a genuine Pentax?

[just joking].
They make sure to include those things in the final firmware version. The engineers have them on their checklist. ☺
01-15-2016, 02:15 AM   #141
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
A bit taller is perfect actually Only one half of my pinky fits onto the k-3.
So, clearly you bought the wrong size. Next time try Medium and see how that works out
01-15-2016, 02:59 AM   #142
Veteran Member

I am going to wait on the 645Z acquisition and take a closer look at the FF when It comes out.
So you were interested in 645Z and they dragged your attention with some cheap 135 stuff? That's a brilliant marketing move...
And you were able to turn the K-1 on, try a couple of lenses, but you can't answer even the most basic questions, because you were so excited trying it... Great...

01-15-2016, 06:34 AM   #143
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
So you were interested in 645Z and they dragged your attention with some cheap 135 stuff? That's a brilliant marketing move...
And you were able to turn the K-1 on, try a couple of lenses, but you can't answer even the most basic questions, because you were so excited trying it... Great...
Yeah you can't even say if the back LCD layout is the same as on the K-3? If you had time to try a few lenses with the camera powered on, then surely you saw the back LCD on too right?
01-15-2016, 06:36 AM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Im afraid to say too much..haha..Crazy japanese..haha! But its getting very close!
OK, now i know the details of the release, but I am not allowed to speak either.
Related to this thread, we all can be very optimistic !
01-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #145
Pentaxian

Oh, but you HAD to come in here and tell us that! *shakes fist*
01-15-2016, 06:54 AM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Oh, but you HAD to come in here and tell us that! *shakes fist*
At least now we know the presentation of thecamera is very close, reps, ambassadors, stores and possble clients start to testing the camera (on fully function), is only matter of time for the leaks
01-15-2016, 07:21 AM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
OK, now i know the details of the release, but I am not allowed to speak either.
Related to this thread, we all can be very optimistic !
Could you send me a list of all the things you're not allowed to speak about, please?
This way, if you'd accidentally tell me anything secret, I'll know, and promptly forget everything. But if it's not on the secrets list...
01-15-2016, 07:28 AM   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
There is more to the FF. When you know the whole story you will say what a brilliant positioning move as only Pentax can do it. No they did not drag my attention with some cheap 135 stuff. There are not cheap 135 stuff at Pentax... for that go to the other brands and no I can't say more.
I guess reply to your post is the last I am going to say on the subject. Let all the other forum guys chew your ass for being a wise guy.

Last edited by btnapa; 01-15-2016 at 07:37 AM. Reason: more text
01-15-2016, 07:31 AM   #149
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are we being set up for a big surprise or a big disappointment?
01-15-2016, 07:34 AM   #150
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is more to the FF. When you know the whole story you will say what a brilliant move as only Pentax can do it. No I can't say more. Stay tuned.
instead of buying a new camera, you just update the sensor like a digital back perhaps?