Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
split screens interfere with spot light metering so no they won't

01-18-2016, 06:23 PM   #197
mee
Site Supporter

Most realistic option is a 3rd party screen.
01-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #198
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You are not the only one, it has been mentioned numerous times. Still seems quite unlikely though. I don't believe any of the other major companies supply a split screen for modern cameras though in general third party companies such as Focusingscreen.com do support them. I would assume FocusingScreen would be happy to support the Pentax FF if it sells well.
Canon has the Ec series of focusing screens for the 1D series which includes the Ec-B split image focusing screen.
01-18-2016, 08:20 PM   #199
npc
Veteran Member

You are not the only one, it has been mentioned numerous times. Still seems quite unlikely though. I don't believe any of the other major companies supply a split screen for modern cameras though in general third party companies such as Focusingscreen.com do support them. I would assume FocusingScreen would be happy to support the Pentax FF if it sells well.
I think it's the other way around. Canon and Nikon apparently still provide focusing screens for some of their cameras and focusingscreen.com uses these as a source to cut screens for other camera models. However if the pentax FF viewfinder is around the same size it probably won't be possible to adapt the screens.

01-18-2016, 08:26 PM   #200
Site Supporter

Curious about that part, not sure what would be obvious about the manufacturer unless the tag says: "Made in the Tamron Factory". We know it is a Tamron design, and it might well be built in the Tamron factory, I just don't understand how that would be obvious.
That is interesting since other reports have said production was underway in January. Still these are all rumors so who knows. But if they have been running the line with K-1's since September they must be expecting a big line outside B&H's door.

Cannot run out soon enough IMHO.
My clue to this is the outer shell. When the general design of two lenses (I believe it was my Tamron 10-24, now gone, and and my DA* 16-50) shows the same proportions, materials and rubber rings, that seems like no coincidence. The Pentax lens nears no superficial resemblance to a Sigma, Tamron, Nikon or any other brand, just a Tamron. Pentax may add its own coatings and weather seals, (hopefully) greater quality control, but they're saving money by using Tamron's tooling for lens barrels, I bet.
01-18-2016, 08:28 PM   #201
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
I think it's the other way around. Canon and Nikon apparently still provide focusing screens for some of their cameras
Yes they do, but not split-image ones, except for the 1d as pointed out above. Pentax also provides alternative focusing screens, but not split-image ones. There are some advantages to a split-image screen but on a DSLR with liveview most of those can be handled on the screen.

I think the chance of a Pentax split-image screen is about the same as having Pentax de-cripple the mount. In short, it isn't going to happen.
01-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #202
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Split-screen focus screens, LiveView and the 'green hexagram' aside, I suspect [hope] Pentax may offer some new form of manual focusing help within the K-1 viewfinder.

I remember earlier speculations about a new form of viewfinder overlay allowing focus peaking (or similar) to be visible in the K-1 OVF, based on some Pentax patents. Not long to wait to find out.
01-19-2016, 05:58 AM   #203
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still doubt that the FF will be a K-1. Now that I have finally visited the Pentaxff page Full Frame by PENTAX | RICOH IMAGING I am even more convinced that the coming line of many a FF camera willl be named otherwise with the small part of the Pentax LX at the 30-11-2015 post.
QuoteQuote:
"PENTAX LX" was launched in 1980 to commemorate the 60th anniversary of Asahi Optical. The PENTAX’s first dustproof, weather-resistant replacement-type finder system, direct meter automatic exposure, titanium-blind focal-plane shutters. These features make for SLR cameras of the highest order for professional use.
I suspect a new series of L- cameras.

01-19-2016, 06:52 AM   #204
Loyal Site Supporter

V-A-V focusing screens. I never liked split-image screens and replaced the stock screen of my LX with an all-microprism screen, made by Beatie as I recall. Perhaps it's because I learned SLR starting with an Asahi Pentax S followed by a Honeywell Pentax then the original Spotmatic, etc and was accustomed and attuned to all-microprism, but also because the microprism worked well for macro. However, as noted above, live view, enlarged live view and focus peaking have largely eliminated the need for specialty screens.
01-19-2016, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #205
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing I haven't seen a lot of talk about is the moveable screen on the back of the camera. Am I the only one who looks at this being an unneeded item that will someday break or cause problems? Flip up or flip out screens are OK, if that's your thing, but what they're showing on the K1 looks like a recipe for problems, while adding unnecessary cost to the end product.
01-19-2016, 07:36 AM   #206
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
One thing I haven't seen a lot of talk about is the moveable screen on the back of the camera. Am I the only one who looks at this being an unneeded item that will someday break or cause problems? Flip up or flip out screens are OK, if that's your thing, but what they're showing on the K1 looks like a recipe for problems, while adding unnecessary cost to the end product.
I'm sure that it will be fairly robust,and of course there is no need to pull it out, but I'm fascinated to know why they chose to go with this - i.e. what is the advantage over a more conventional articulating screen
01-19-2016, 07:38 AM   #207
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Nope, IMO.
Could be very useful and it seems very sturdy to me. To be confirmed of course.
01-19-2016, 07:39 AM   #208
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
I still doubt that the FF will be a K-1.
I share your dubiousness, if not your suggestions for alternatives - I don't see why they are being so cagey if they're going to go for the 'obvious' name. Also, people who've seen the camera, tend to call it the Pentax FF
01-19-2016, 07:42 AM   #209

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I share your dubiousness, if not your suggestions for alternatives - I don't see why they are being so cagey if they're going to go for the 'obvious' name. Also, people who've seen the camera, tend to call it the Pentax FF
More the secrecy around it-more the buzz on web it gets-free marketing, works as a charm as we all can see-that all troll wars around in comments in photography review and forums pages.And it's totaly free for Ricoh- great move.
01-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #210
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
More the secrecy around it-more the buzz on web it gets-free marketing.
The secrecy always gets free PR. This is the goal of most marketing people. Get a lot of PR without having to pay for it. However, I am afraid all this free exposure is to Pentaxians. I am not sure if the rest of the camera world is holding their breath for the Pentax FF intro. But what do I know. The 645D and later the 645Z got a lot of other brand loyalists (mostly pros who could afford the price tag) switch to Pentax 645 system for the ultimate image quality.