Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 08:30 AM   #211
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,906
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
One thing I haven't seen a lot of talk about is the moveable screen on the back of the camera. Am I the only one who looks at this being an unneeded item that will someday break or cause problems? Flip up or flip out screens are OK, if that's your thing, but what they're showing on the K1 looks like a recipe for problems, while adding unnecessary cost to the end product.
As far as I can tell it seems you canít really move the screen that much, some tilting and some rotation. Maybe this construction is easier on the cables while also being easier to weather proof?

01-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #212
Forum Member
Pentaxis's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 91
I gather that you chaps are not fans of this company..... I did find the images very amusing! They spoke volumes!

I don't yet own a Pentax digital SLR but am seriously considering this new full frame model. So that means that I hope that the still to be announced US repair centre will provide a service that is an improvement on the current service.
01-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #213
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 361
I suppose you're talking about Precision ?
01-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #214
Forum Member
Pentaxis's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 91
QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
I suppose you're talking about Precision ?
Yes, I am so sorry, I forgot to quote the original postings. They were very amusing!

01-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #215
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,550
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
One thing I haven't seen a lot of talk about is the moveable screen on the back of the camera. Am I the only one who looks at this being an unneeded item that will someday break or cause problems? Flip up or flip out screens are OK, if that's your thing, but what they're showing on the K1 looks like a recipe for problems, while adding unnecessary cost to the end product.
I'm totally OK with a movable screen, I think it has been shown by other brands that you can make one robust enough to last. But I do question the seeming complexity of this implementation. A simple hinge arrangement would surely have been easier to make. I feel, if you don't like it leave it closed. But why all the complex construction to get something that has already been designed in a simpler fashion? Perhaps we are not seeing something yet. Or perhaps the other methods are patented?
01-19-2016, 09:20 AM   #216
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,301
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'm totally OK with a movable screen, I think it has been shown by other brands that you can make one robust enough to last. But I do question the seeming complexity of this implementation. A simple hinge arrangement would surely have been easier to make. I feel, if you don't like it leave it closed. But why all the complex construction to get something that has already been designed in a simpler fashion? Perhaps we are not seeing something yet. Or perhaps the other methods are patented?
Why not just copy the 645Z screen?
01-19-2016, 09:34 AM   #217
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,840
A simple hinge arrangement would have been easier to make, but who says Ricoh Imaging wanted to do the easier solution? The new system allows for more degrees of freedom (though is not designed for selfies ).
01-19-2016, 09:36 AM   #218
Pentaxian
MJSfoto1956's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,287
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Why not just copy the 645Z screen?
Or perhaps we will see this new screen on the future 645* and K3* lines?

Michael

01-19-2016, 09:42 AM - 5 Likes   #219
mee
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,573
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A simple hinge arrangement would have been easier to make, but who says Ricoh Imaging wanted to do the easier solution? The new system allows for more degrees of freedom (though is not designed for selfies ).
I thought everyone knew they must use a Medium Format camera for the highest quality selfies?

As a result, there is a 3rd party that is making MF selfie sticks.. here they are at the factory waiting to be loaded onto the truck:

01-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #220
Forum Member
Pentaxis's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 91
QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
instead of buying a new camera, you just update the sensor like a digital back perhaps?
Franc, that is the most interesting comment (to me, as a complete digital novice) I have seen in this thread. That would be a great accomplishment and very sensible indeed if it could be made to work.

I can't be the only person who is not into upgrading stuff as the next greatest thing comes along. My main motive for buying the K-1 would be so that I could use my 35 mm film-era lenses. Frankly, I would be very happy indeed if film cameras could be modified to take new digital sensors, as they develop.
01-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #221
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,780
I welcome an articulating screen on a high-end Pentax DSLR. After accumulating too many decades and two hip replacements, it is a slow, careful, awkward, will-I-make-it-this-time effort to get down low for macro close-ups. The refconverter is OK, but a screen visible from above, with magnified LV focus peaking would be a major convenience. But I'm skeptical, and somewhat flummoxed by the complexity of the design when a proven design cannot be unavailable because of copyrights.
01-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #222
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,622
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'm totally OK with a movable screen, I think it has been shown by other brands that you can make one robust enough to last. But I do question the seeming complexity of this implementation. A simple hinge arrangement would surely have been easier to make. I feel, if you don't like it leave it closed. But why all the complex construction to get something that has already been designed in a simpler fashion? Perhaps we are not seeing something yet. Or perhaps the other methods are patented?
If it just sits on a hinge it can only be angled up, right? So you can look down at the camera display. That would be my main use case, so it would pretty much satisfy me, but I can also see situations where you'd want to see the screen from below. Or from the side. Or just completely hide away the screen to protect it from damages or use the camera in a more analog SLR way.

I heard from a 6D shooter that he's unhappy how camera makers keep the rotatable screens to APS-C. Well, Pentax doesn't. Unfortunately his company also (or mainly) shoots video, so Pentax is probably not a very attractive option.

Last edited by kadajawi; 01-19-2016 at 10:10 AM.
01-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #223
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 962
we need a new teaser, telling camera details not show pictures taken with old lenses. With other announcements this week surfacing, we should expect an update end of next week at the latest.
01-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #224
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 361
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
Franc, that is the most interesting comment (to me, as a complete digital novice) I have seen in this thread. That would be a great accomplishment and very sensible indeed if it could be made to work.

I can't be the only person who is not into upgrading stuff as the next greatest thing comes along. My main motive for buying the K-1 would be so that I could use my 35 mm film-era lenses. Frankly, I would be very happy indeed if film cameras could be modified to take new digital sensors, as they develop.
You don't need the latest sensor available either. A camera is a complex equilibrium between a sensor, a processor, a bus to transfer data and mechanical parts, you cannot drop any sensor in it as you were dropping film. It's possible but you will have 1 maybe 2 upgrades before needing a new processor. I don't think it's worth the cost in development constraints and size.

I buy 1 of 3 Pentax flagship DSLR up to now K20D --> K5IIs --> K-1 ? and I don't feel like my sensor is lagging behind that much (ok there is a trick, the K5IIs is an exceptional camera but still).
01-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #225
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 31,577
QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
K5IIs is an exceptional camera but still
My K20Ds are still pretty good all things considered, but soon to be retired for the FFs.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
canon, ces, ces pentax k-1, coatings, cp, dealer, display, doubt, k-1, k-3, lens, lenses, lieu, market, month, optics, pentax, pentax k-1 rumor, pentax news, pentax rumors, post, price, production, range, repair, sense, tamron, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CES and Pentax K-30 buzzyslr Pentax K-30 & K-50 34 03-02-2014 03:22 AM
rumor about new Pentax K-60 KDD Pentax News and Rumors 15 02-05-2014 02:57 PM
Fact or Fiction _ Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5 DC OS HSM Pentax romansolar Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 09-26-2012 01:01 AM
1/10/12 - CES: Mystery rugged-looking K-mount no-VF camera spotted Docrwm Pentax News and Rumors 34 01-17-2012 05:50 PM
Pentax K-r fact sheet, specs, and reviews Adam Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 09-15-2010 03:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top