Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #226
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
You don't need the latest sensor available either. A camera is a complex equilibrium between a sensor, a processor, a bus to transfer data and mechanical parts, you cannot drop any sensor in it as you were dropping film. It's possible but you will have 1 maybe 2 upgrades before needing a new processor. I don't think it's worth the cost in development constraints and size.

I buy 1 of 3 Pentax flagship DSLR up to now K20D --> K5IIs --> K-1 ? and I don't feel like my sensor is lagging behind that much (ok there is a trick, the K5IIs is an exceptional camera but still).
Basicly K-5 was the big step forward and that sensor is good for a decade.

01-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
that sensor is pretty amazing.

They say its the same sensor just tuned in the Fuji X-T1 and I'm loving the piss out of it.
01-19-2016, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #228
Pentaxian

Blocked at iso200 in the fuji : such a waste...
01-19-2016, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Blocked at iso200 in the fuji : such a waste...

Has never been an issue. On the other hand Fuji's iso 6400 is a lot nicer than the K3ii's, or k5IIs. Their Jpeg noise handling is best in the industry.

But I'd rather shoot a K3II.

01-19-2016, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #230
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Has never been an issue. On the other hand Fuji's iso 6400 is a lot nicer than the K3ii's, or k5IIs. Their Jpeg noise handling is best in the industry.

But I'd rather shoot a K3II.
Oh, let's not get into the Fuji ISO rating scandal again! 😀
01-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #231
Pentaxian

Duh, DxO didn't even dare measure X-trans sensors : such a shame...
01-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #232
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Oh, let's not get into the Fuji ISO rating scandal again! 😀
lol "we measure differently" yea okay.

still a beautiful camera system. really impressive. X-T1 is very redundant to the K3 and equivalent lenses. there are a few pros to the X-T1 that I find give it the advantage though.

It's hard to have so many beautiful cameras and systems in the wild.

01-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #233

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
You don't need the latest sensor available either. A camera is a complex equilibrium between a sensor, a processor, a bus to transfer data and mechanical parts, you cannot drop any sensor in it as you were dropping film. It's possible but you will have 1 maybe 2 upgrades before needing a new processor. I don't think it's worth the cost in development constraints and size.

I buy 1 of 3 Pentax flagship DSLR up to now K20D --> K5IIs --> K-1 ? and I don't feel like my sensor is lagging behind that much (ok there is a trick, the K5IIs is an exceptional camera but still).
Your points are doubtless valid, for currently implemented designs.
However, I was indulging in some "blue sky" thinking. That is, I suggest a start with a clean piece of paper and to design for modularity. Where there is a will there is a way. However, maybe the market does not want it, only crazy old people like me.

---------- Post added 01-19-16 at 03:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That sounds dubious to me. Who knows when the next sensor breakthrough will occur?

It seems to me, as an engineer, that if the mechanical, optical and electronic interfaces were standardised appropriately (c.f. K-mount, still going strong after 5 decades or so) sensor interchangeability could be achieved. It seems to me that many people seem to want to change their cameras with the same frequency and regularity that they change cell phones, or socks.

However, I defend everyone's right to spend their lucre as they wish
01-19-2016, 05:10 PM   #234
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
Your points are doubtless valid, for currently implemented designs.
However, I was indulging in some "blue sky" thinking. That is, I suggest a start with a clean piece of paper and to design for modularity. Where there is a will there is a way. However, maybe the market does not want it, only crazy old people like me.

We discussed this a couple of years ago on here.. a modular K mount camera with support for right or left handed grip, upgradable sensor/back, etc

It is a fantastic idea for the user but likely very costly to support for the manufacturer.
01-19-2016, 05:46 PM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
We discussed this a couple of years ago on here.. a modular K mount camera with support for right or left handed grip, upgradable sensor/back, etc

It is a fantastic idea for the user but likely very costly to support for the manufacturer.
This is what happens when Pentax delays the FF camera for too long...a kind of irrational madness sets in among the community.
01-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #236
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
This is what happens when Pentax delays the FF camera for too long...a kind of irrational madness sets in among the community.

Haha an ergonomic camera that adapts the user.. crazy talk!!
01-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Haha an ergonomic camera that adapts the user.. crazy talk!!
Exactly! You may as well ask for a high-resolution LCD view screen while you're at it!
01-19-2016, 06:58 PM   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
If it just sits on a hinge it can only be angled up, right? So you can look down at the camera display. That would be my main use case, so it would pretty much satisfy me, but I can also see situations where you'd want to see the screen from below. Or from the side. Or just completely hide away the screen to protect it from damages or use the camera in a more analog SLR way.
I guess I was thinking of the hinged ones that also rotate 180 degrees. Out to the side, rotate around, can be folded completely closed. So, OK, that's not a 'simple' hinge but surely less complex than what is being shown on the K-1? I'm not complaining (yet) because I have not seen it or touched it. So maybe there is something we have not seen. I've not noticed the Pentax engineers making too many mistakes, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. But it still seems overly complex to me.
01-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #239
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote

It's hard to have so many beautiful cameras and systems in the wild.
Sure. It's a great time to be into photography - so many good products from the manufacturers in a crowded market so we complain about prices but they're actually fair.
01-19-2016, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #240
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
It seems to me, as an engineer, that if the mechanical, optical and electronic interfaces were standardised appropriately
The mount has been around for 50 years. The sensor electronics have not. And that would be the problem, having a standard interface for the sensor chip. And is it standard for FF or APS-C? And if they improve the SR system how do you account for that? Just swapping out one sensor for another sounds easy, and indeed we do that all the time on PC motherboards. But that only works as long as the chipset and socket stay the same. Which they don't. So you could likely design something that could swap sensors but only during that sensor generation. And I doubt that there would be enough reason to do that. By the time the next 'better' chip comes along they will need a new chipset, socket array or whatever to accommodate it.

Not saying it is not POSSIBLE, just highly unlikely and almost certainly not cost effective.