Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2016, 06:10 AM   #91

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
With all the hoopla around Nikon at the CES show, the real news was at the Ricoh booth. Too bad they kept it behind closed doors.
Did the public booth have any Pentax display at all? Any GR's or WG's? Or was is truly just the Theta Show?

01-14-2016, 06:33 AM - 2 Likes   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Interesting. Without telling us too much: would the K-1 just be a good alternative to the to the other FF brands (or a bit better), or would it blow all of them (including the new Nikon) out of the water???

I know you have seen it and that it must be difficult to be tightlipped. But please tell us the level of your enthusiasm on a scale of 1 to 10 please.
In my book it is a definite 10.

Is it gonna blow Nikon out of the water? probably not. I saw the new Nikon duo at the show. In my opinion the Nikon focusing system is unmatched. However, from what I saw the FF is no slouch either.

Is the FF going to give all the DSLRs a run for their money? Hell YES. Historically Pentax has packed a lot in packages that have been extremely price competitive. The FF takes that value proposition into a whole new world. I saw a 645Z junior... for fraction of the cost.

Since digital DSLRs came out, and in all the discussions with my megapixel counting buddies, my position has been that quality of the pixels is just as important as the pixel count. Can a camera produce noiseless shadows especially at high ISOs. What I saw does it so and then some. I would be surprised to know that what I saw was an actual production model (it was perhaps a pre production unit), if so, then I cannot wait to see what an actual shipping unit can do.

A year or so ago, I was talking to a pro photographer who said that the K3 is his back up just in case his 645Z goes down in the middle of an assignment. If a K3 is good enough to play back up quarterback, then the new FF can literally step into the game, in the forth quarter, and actually win the game against some of the best in the world. It is that good.
01-14-2016, 06:39 AM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In my book it is a definite 10. ...Is the FF going to give all the DSLRs a run for their money? Hell YES. ... The FF takes that value proposition into a whole new world. I saw a 645Z junior... for fraction of the cost. ... Can a camera produce noiseless shadows especially at high ISOs. What I saw does it so and then some. ... If a K3 is good enough to play back up quarterback, then the new FF can literally step into the game, in the forth quarter, and actually win the game against some of the best in the world. It is that good.
All these positive vibes! Thank you for this uplifting post.
01-14-2016, 07:02 AM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
Did the public booth have any Pentax display at all? Any GR's or WG's? Or was is truly just the Theta Show?
None. There were no cameras on display for the public.

01-14-2016, 07:12 AM - 4 Likes   #95
Site Supporter

In my book it is a definite 10.

Is it gonna blow Nikon out of the water? probably not. I saw the new Nikon duo at the show. In my opinion the Nikon focusing system is unmatched. However, from what I saw the FF is no slouch either.

Is the FF going to give all the DSLRs a run for their money? Hell YES. Historically Pentax has packed a lot in packages that have been extremely price competitive. The FF takes that value proposition into a whole new world. I saw a 645Z junior... for fraction of the cost.

Since digital DSLRs came out, and in all the discussions with my megapixel counting buddies, my position has been that quality of the pixels is just as important as the pixel count. Can a camera produce noiseless shadows especially at high ISOs. What I saw does it so and then some. I would be surprised to know that what I saw was an actual production model (it was perhaps a pre production unit), if so, then I cannot wait to see what an actual shipping unit can do.

A year or so ago, I was talking to a pro photographer who said that the K3 is his back up just in case his 645Z goes down in the middle of an assignment. If a K3 is good enough to play back up quarterback, then the new FF can literally step into the game, in the forth quarter, and actually win the game against some of the best in the world. It is that good.

01-14-2016, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #96
Pentaxian

You don't have to believe. You do the crying. The rest of us will do the go going buddy. See you at Sonny's Canikon party.
01-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #97
Site Supporter

You don't have to believe. You do the crying. The rest of us will do the go going buddy. See you at Sonny's Canikon party.
01-14-2016, 07:39 AM - 2 Likes   #98
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm as excited about the new camera as anybody, but I think that's where I would draw the line.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 01-14-2016 at 07:59 AM.
01-14-2016, 07:39 AM   #99

None. There were no cameras on display for the public.
I assume you mean other than the Theta? The theta is a camera.

That is just odd. Why spend the money to be at the show only to showcase one of your products? I can understand focusing on the Theta, but there would be little added expense to display the rest (or even part) of your product line.
01-14-2016, 07:48 AM - 2 Likes   #100
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who knows what goes on in the minds of Pentax marketing?

I mean look at those photos on their website. Are those guys full time?

I've suggested before, the Pentax marketing team is a team from other departments who met the 2nd and 4th fridays of each month in a bar.

I think they might have one or two full time secretaries. just so some of those guys don't have to take too much time away from their real duties, trying to get things done.
01-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

That is just odd. Why spend the money to be at the show only to showcase one of your products? I can understand focusing on the Theta, but there would be little added expense to display the rest (or even part) of your product line.
I think it's just strategy. When the big ones present their new high end cameras you don't want to compete and stay in the shadow. You present something completely different that is a great product and aims at a different consumer group. That way you gain publicity and you keep your aces for a better opportunity when the D5-D500 initial excitement will have decreased... That's how I see it.
01-14-2016, 08:10 AM   #102
Pentaxian

You are right. I meant no DSLR or non-Theta type cameras.

Their booth was pretty busy with the Theta show but I was baffled too at the complete absence of traditional cameras on display. I did ask why no cameras. I was told that the show was dedicated to Ricoh's focus on innovation and technology. Pretty risky position to take. Show up to a major electronics show with no cameras to show. If I did not know about the Ricoh/Pentax connection, I would not have known that Pentax cameras where missing from the booth. I am baffled but then what do I know. Somebody at Ricoh is calling some risky shots. I hope they are right.

Another interesting observation. I have been to the Ricoh booth at CES many times in the past. The booth is generally staffed by US based employees with a few Japanese guys who seem to be from the headquarters from Japan. This year half of the booth was Japanese guys. Perhaps a total of 20 people or even more. Way more than the usual. It seemed like they were there to observe first hand how this new strategy was going to play out.
01-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #103
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Way more than the usual. It seemed like they were there to observe first hand how this new strategy was going to play out.
and if the part of the 'dealer room' is true, its also handy when you have persons from the real head office available to strengthen the market pitch about the brand/cameras and (pro)support to the dealers.
01-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
and if the part of the 'dealer room' is true, its also handy when you have persons from the real head office available to strengthen the market pitch about the brand/cameras and (pro)support to the dealers.
+1 on the market strengthening strategy. The shear numbers were impressive. Red (Ricoh's color) shirts all over the place. However, most Japanese guys were in business suits.

---------- Post added 01-14-16 at 07:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I'm as excited about the new camera as anybody, but I think that's where I would draw the line.
I agree too. These are exciting times to be a Pentaxian.
01-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
and if the part of the 'dealer room' is true
It is true - there was a room with Pentax products and I've seen pictures made there (see the link in my previous post). I'm not quite sure about the rest of the story...