Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2016, 04:26 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CES Pentax K-1 Rumor or Fact?

I went to my local dealer today and he was talking about what he saw last week at CES. There were a half dozen K-1s available for handling on dealer day. No batteries and the rear buttons were taped over. The K-1s had the new DFA lenses and he said, "they were obviously made by Tamron." That makes a lot of sense to have Tamron building the lenses while Pentax ramps up production on the K-1. He also said that the K-1 has been in series production since September so that there will be a good supply on hand when it's officially released. Ricoh is also actively working on starting up a factory warranty and repair facility because most dealers won't stock Pentax without one. Apparently Precision Repair has an exclusive contract for Pentax repair that runs out mid year.

I'm just passing it along so take it for what it's worth.

01-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I went to my local dealer today and he was talking about what he saw last week at CES. There were a half dozen K-1s available for handling on dealer day. No batteries and the rear buttons were taped over. The K-1s had the new DFA lenses and he said, "they were obviously made by Tamron." That makes a lot of sense to have Tamron building the lenses while Pentax ramps up production on the K-1. He also said that the K-1 has been in series production since September so that there will be a good supply on hand when it's officially released. Ricoh is also actively working on starting up a factory warranty and repair facility because most dealers won't stock Pentax without one. Apparently Precision Repair has an exclusive contract for Pentax repair that runs out mid year.

I'm just passing it along so take it for what it's worth.
Seeing that the camera was on display in Paris late last year, this doesn't come as a surprise. Everyone is expecting the official announcement at CP+ next month.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-12-2016, 04:38 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"they were obviously made by Tamron."
Curious about that part, not sure what would be obvious about the manufacturer unless the tag says: "Made in the Tamron Factory". We know it is a Tamron design, and it might well be built in the Tamron factory, I just don't understand how that would be obvious.
that the K-1 has been in series production since September
That is interesting since other reports have said production was underway in January. Still these are all rumors so who knows. But if they have been running the line with K-1's since September they must be expecting a big line outside B&H's door.
Apparently Precision Repair has an exclusive contract for Pentax repair that runs out mid year.
Cannot run out soon enough IMHO.
01-12-2016, 04:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Not too surprising since it was in display at Paris.
And it's not long till CP+.

01-12-2016, 04:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

The Tamron stuff is not really news, since the D FA 24-70 is already shipping, and a Tamron-made 15-30 f2.8 has long been said to be in the pipeline. But I would be very surprised if the other current D FA's (the 70-200 and 150-450) were Tamron's.

If they have been making K-1 bodies at the factory since September, by end February 2016 that means 6 months worth of production should be ready to hit the stores at launch. That's a lot of inventory about to enter the channel. Hopefully that means we will see store discounting take place immediately upon release.
01-12-2016, 04:49 PM - 11 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There were a half dozen K-1s available for handling on dealer day. No batteries and the rear buttons were taped over.
Hopefully they can figure out why the buttons are falling off before it goes into full production.
01-12-2016, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Hopefully that means we will see store discounting take place immediately upon release
Not in GMT +10 you won't!

01-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Not in GMT +10 you won't!
Unfortunately true, if the DFA 24-70 or the 150-450 local prices are any guide.

[Memo to CRK: pls be nice to us patient Pentaxians. Set the K-1 recommended retail price at a level that will encourage current (and new) Pentax users to actually buy the camera.]
01-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That makes a lot of sense to have Tamron building the lenses while Pentax ramps up production on the K-1.
Im thinking the same, Tamron latest lense releases have been really good, and Pentax can tweak them a little to make them even better, so this way not all of Penatx R&D can be addressed to the lenses but more to the camera itself. Good thing is that production is moving, new lenses are coming, and hopefully we'll be happy with all this new tools.

By the way.. its about time for the FF website to release another "teaser".
01-12-2016, 05:08 PM - 7 Likes   #10
mee
Veteran Member

Apparently Precision Repair has an exclusive contract for Pentax repair that runs out mid year.
YES YES YES YES YES!!!@#!!@!@!@#!@!@!@#!@#

BEST PENTAX NEWS IN YEARS!!@#11

..that is.. if Ricoh doesn't renew with that awful place.
01-12-2016, 05:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Curious about that part, not sure what would be obvious about the manufacturer unless the tag says: "Made in the Tamron Factory". We know it is a Tamron design, and it might well be built in the Tamron factory, I just don't understand how that would be obvious.
That is interesting since other reports have said production was underway in January. Still these are all rumors so who knows. But if they have been running the line with K-1's since September they must be expecting a big line outside B&H's door.

If it looks like a Tamron design and says "Made in Japan", those are pretty major clues that are Tamron lenses.
01-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

Wholeheartedly agreed! They're rather useless.
01-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But I would be very surprised if the other current D FA's (the 70-200 and 150-450) were Tamron's.
They aren't.
I guess he was referring to the Tamron rebadges.
01-12-2016, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Asahi man has said this rumor, which went around last October, is false. The 70~200 is 100% Pentax design and asembly.

It would be humiliating to outsource a * lens, which is supposed to demonstrate your entire corporate ethic.
01-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #15
Pentaxian

That makes a lot of sense to have Tamron building the lenses while Pentax ramps up production on the K-1.
Pentax lenses are made into a different location (Vietnam) than the cameras (Philippines). And the K-1 won't be made in very large quantities, being a higher end camera (if I were to guess, no higher than 10,000 units per month).

Apparently, it made sense to have some of the lenses made by Tamron; for exactly what reasons (R&D, production, cost effectiveness) I don't know. But others are Pentax designs, made by Pentax.

---------- Post added 13-01-16 at 02:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Asahi man has said this rumor, which went around last October, is false. It would be humiliating to outsource a * lens, which is supposed to demonstrate your entire corporate ethic.
Of course it's false, the 70-200 doesn't match any Tamron. Compare that with the 24-70...