Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 110 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vantage-Point Quote
You have to be able to "lift things up and put them down" in order to use that one!
Do you think I could handhold it?

01-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #62
Veteran Member

How much can you bench??

---------- Post added 01-13-16 at 04:55 PM ----------

I would not try because I personally don't want to take a trip to Hernias "R" us.
01-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The OP claims there was a Dealer Room and private viewing of the K-1 and lenses. While not impossible there is no such room on the site map, unless there was a Pentax Hospitality Suite.
01-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I really hope so. I have a Pentax-A 24 mm f2.8 with which I can make do. It was my favourite lens back in my film days, but a new incarnation would be lovely.
Also lets not forget that a 15-30mm (f2.8??) will be launch really soon so with that focal lenghts from 15 all the way to 200mm are covered by new f2.8 lenses.

01-13-2016, 04:15 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The OP claims there was a Dealer Room and private viewing of the K-1 and lenses
I've never been to CES, never mind worked at it, but if it is anything like SEMA, it's only the large exhibitors who set up "meeting" rooms at the Convention Center and it is more for B2B customers who happen to show up on their own, not key accounts or prospects who are booked for presentations well in advance. For SEMA, all hotel rooms had to be booked and paid almost a year in advance (I haven't been for about 8 years so perhaps hotel rooms aren't as hard to come by as they used to be) so these were very much closed events, where controlling admission and the provision of food and beverages is easier to do without the distraction of competitors in the same facility.
01-13-2016, 04:22 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I went to my local dealer today and he was talking about what he saw last week at CES. There were a half dozen K-1s available for handling on dealer day. No batteries and the rear buttons were taped over. The K-1s had the new DFA lenses and he said, "they were obviously made by Tamron." That makes a lot of sense to have Tamron building the lenses while Pentax ramps up production on the K-1. He also said that the K-1 has been in series production since September so that there will be a good supply on hand when it's officially released. Ricoh is also actively working on starting up a factory warranty and repair facility because most dealers won't stock Pentax without one. Apparently Precision Repair has an exclusive contract for Pentax repair that runs out mid year.

I'm just passing it along so take it for what it's worth.
Was it this store?:
http://www.cameracottage.com/
01-13-2016, 04:42 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The OP claims there was a Dealer Room and private viewing of the K-1 and lenses. While not impossible there is no such room on the site map, unless there was a Pentax Hospitality Suite.
Decades ago back when I went to the CES when they had one in Chicago, we would often go to parties and such held off site from the main convention center. (The McCormick Place). It is conceivable Ricoh/Pentax had something off site for big dealers like this site's sponsors and a few others, plus possibly people in the media.

I guess we will be able to better verify this when the FF camera is introduced.

01-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I went to my local dealer today and he was talking about what he saw last week at CES. There were a half dozen K-1s available for handling on dealer day. No batteries and the rear buttons were taped over. The K-1s had the new DFA lenses and he said, "they were obviously made by Tamron." That makes a lot of sense to have Tamron building the lenses while Pentax ramps up production on the K-1. He also said that the K-1 has been in series production since September so that there will be a good supply on hand when it's officially released. Ricoh is also actively working on starting up a factory warranty and repair facility because most dealers won't stock Pentax without one. Apparently Precision Repair has an exclusive contract for Pentax repair that runs out mid year.

I'm just passing it along so take it for what it's worth.
Well, looks like we will have to wait for CP+ next month to tell then, not much has heard about the K1 in CES. If it has really been in production since September and they are setting up new repair facility, it seem like Ricoh is expecting lots of sales and they are very serious with the K1, and that's good new for all of us Pentatians. Hope the Australian stores gets enough of them. Can't wait for the actual announcement and the specs of the K1.
01-13-2016, 06:05 PM   #69
Pentaxian

The OP claims there was a Dealer Room and private viewing of the K-1 and lenses.
Reread the OP. He makes no mention of a dealer room. He says "dealer day." What that is (or if it happened) and where it happened are open to discussion, but he makes no mention of a dealer room.
01-13-2016, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
Reread the OP. He makes no mention of a dealer room. He says "dealer day." What that is (or if it happened) and where it happened are open to discussion, but he makes no mention of a dealer room.
I was hesitant to say anything, but I have it on good authority that the "dealer room" was actually a dealer vestibule.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 01-13-2016 at 06:57 PM.
01-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Was it this store?:
http://www.cameracottage.com/
Yep. I seem to be spending my 'spare change' there too often.
01-13-2016, 06:27 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wait - so Dealers are admitted to CES before the show opens or something? And Ricoh or somebody had several K-1 bodies (wherever) for only Dealers to mess with on Dealer Day? Spilled the beans that they've been building K-'s for months already (even though they apparently got pretty upset with Ricoh NA for showing the camera at Photo+). And the Dealer learned Tamron is contract manufacturer for the new lenses? Then they put everything Pentax behind the counter and opened the full-on Ricoh Theta booth, which BTW got a fair bit of press.

I guess I don't know how trade shows work, but call me skeptical.
01-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Wait - so Dealers are admitted to CES before the show opens or something? And Ricoh or somebody had several K-1 bodies (wherever) for only Dealers to mess with on Dealer Day? Spilled the beans that they've been building K-'s for months already (even though they apparently got pretty upset with Ricoh NA for showing the camera at Photo+). And the Dealer learned Tamron is contract manufacturer for the new lenses? Then they put everything Pentax behind the counter and opened the full-on Ricoh Theta booth, which BTW got a fair bit of press.

I guess I don't know how trade shows work, but call me skeptical.
Warming up the retail channel. Consumer release is on cp+ in shops in april so they are making sure it gets there.
01-13-2016, 06:41 PM - 2 Likes   #74
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I was hesitant to say anything, but I have it on good authority that it was actually a dealer vestibule.
I was envisioning a secret room, only accessible by correctly setting the DSLR settings correctly and pressing the shutter release button, thus exposing the secret spot... inside it is fairly dimly lit and Ricoh reps speak in hushed tones while pulling up a velour curtain to reveal an army of K-1 cameras... meanwhile samurais eyeball the dealers handling the cameras, ensuring they don't learn too much.. or they die!!!!
01-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, yeah, OK. My bad. I'm still skeptical about Tamron.