Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
None. There were no cameras on display for the public.
any rogue perspex domes knocking around? ;D

01-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
How exactly do you blow a D810 out of the water??
Quite easily actually. Have you ever used one? I have for a short time and there is no way I would use that camera for work on a regular basis.

So, how to blow an 810 out of the water: Provide a camera with similar image quality, AF in the same ball park, and Pentax ergonomics. I can carry and use a k-3 with 60-250 all day and be fine. I used the D810 for less than an hour and was totally fed up with it. Of course if you have bigger hands than I do, maybe it is not a problem, but for me a camera that large is not usable for any length of time. YMMV of course and this is taking nothing away from the D810 as far as the images are concerned those are excellent.
01-14-2016, 11:22 AM - 3 Likes   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pretty smart not trying not to complete for press time against Nikon, Canon and Sony etc. After the Nikon etc news has cooled Pentax can come out and get a lot more press than they would otherwise. If they announced and showed it here it would be more like "Hey! We got one too! Look over here!".

Ricoh is a big company. They are taking their time to get Pentax where it needs to be. They are not abandoning Pentax, but are breathing new life into it. Hoya wounded it deeply and it was not the kind of wounds that can be cured simply by pouring money into them. They seem to be rebuilding the company and doing it in a pretty smart way. The K3-II problem was quickly acknowledged and step were taken to fix it. That speaks a lot to me. Pentax as a stand alone company after Hoya probably would never have been able to act on the scale they did. Ricoh stood behind them and the problem was promptly addressed.

Ricoh is doing it right. They seem to be taking the strengths of Pentax, and leaving them alone and looking at the weaknesses and taking steps to fix them. Where are we good? Awesome! Where do we need help? Okay lets roll up our sleeves and get to fixing things. I remember when the company I work for used to be like that.
01-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Quite easily actually. Have you ever used one? I have for a short time and there is no way I would use that camera for work on a regular basis.

So, how to blow an 810 out of the water: Provide a camera with similar image quality, AF in the same ball park, and Pentax ergonomics. I can carry and use a k-3 with 60-250 all day and be fine. I used the D810 for less than an hour and was totally fed up with it. Of course if you have bigger hands than I do, maybe it is not a problem, but for me a camera that large is not usable for any length of time. YMMV of course and this is taking nothing away from the D810 as far as the images are concerned those are excellent.
The market for huge FF DSLR's seems to be well covered by Canon and Nikon. It would be very refreshing to have a FF DSLR that was not such a boat anchor. I will occasionally pick up a FF Canon or Nikon when I'm at Best Buy, and it's hard for me to imagine wanting to lug something like that around on a regular basis.

Huge DSLR's from Canon and Nikon might make sense when they have so many large telephotos, but for Pentax that should not be a consideration. So I'm hoping for a K1 that is close to the K-3 in size.

01-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #110
Pentaxian

The D750 is pretty compact for a FF:
Compare camera dimensions side by side
01-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I will occasionally pick up a FF Canon or Nikon when I'm at Best Buy, and it's hard for me to imagine wanting to lug something like that around on a regular basis.
LOL, did that yesterday myself! I was looking at the camera displays and picked up and messed with about 30 cameras. All good fun. The Sony display was simply amazing, took up at least 1/3 of the total camera space. Simply huge.
But handling those big Nikon and Canon FFs just (again) convinced me they are not practical for me. If Pentax can bring a FF to the market that has similar ergonomics to the K-3, I'm in. But if it's another boat anchor I'm not going to spend the money on something I know I will hate using and thus leave at home more than use.
01-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #112
Pentaxian

For a camera that for the most part the same thing as a K-3 and offers some trade offs, areas where it's better, areas where it's worse, and practically no difference in IQ,, why would you pay 3 times the price and put up with any little bit bigger.

You don't need to answer, it's rhetorical.

01-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You don't need to answer, it's rhetorical.
No
01-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Size matters more then quality? Pentax FF will eat D750 for breakfast, but D750 is still a league or two over the K-3 in most areas.
01-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #115
Pentaxian

Put A K-mount in it and I'd get one. The K-1 is probably the same height as the D750 but 7 or 8mm narrower and heavier.
01-14-2016, 12:24 PM - 2 Likes   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Pentax FF will eat D750 for breakfast
But that would make the Pentax FF bigger, and I thought we wanted a compact-ish FF.
01-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
But that would make the Pentax FF bigger, and I thought we wanted a compact-ish FF.
Its bigger then the K-3, but smaller then the D5 Quality before size..new times now. Just look at the new 24-70, 70-200 etc.
01-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #118
Veteran Member

Its bigger then the K-3, but smaller then the D5 Quality before size..new times now. Just look at the new 24-70, 70-200 etc.
I meant, physically eating the D750 would make it bigger than a D5, take the mass of the 'K-1' and the D750. Add them together and it's huge!
01-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I meant, physically eating the D750 would make it bigger than a D5, take the mass of the 'K-1' and the D750. Add them together and it's huge!

But as i've said before, this first FF is a try to attract more pros over to Pentax. It has pro features (also some new ones) and it will reflect that on both size and prize But still a bit cheaper then the competitors.
01-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #120
Pentaxian

Size matters more then quality? Pentax FF will eat D750 for breakfast, but D750 is still a league or two over the K-3 in most areas.
But the K-3 may still be a league or two over the D750 in the areas that matter most to a given user. It's bells and whistles kind of camera. Lot's of capability, that many people will rarely use. About the same capability for most of what everyone does, at 3 times the price.

You can't touch this with a 400mm lens and 1.7 TC on a D750. Can't even get close. Actually, if will probably be the same even with the K-1. That extra 20% resolution over a crop K-1 is going to be visible.

Last edited by normhead; 01-14-2016 at 12:46 PM.