Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 110 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #241
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I share your dubiousness, if not your suggestions for alternatives - I don't see why they are being so cagey if they're going to go for the 'obvious' name. Also, people who've seen the camera, tend to call it the Pentax FF
If they have any sence of humor, they will really name it "FF" - after all, this is how it was know for years before it even existed!

(just like the link on the teaser site is simply /pentaxff )

01-20-2016, 12:07 AM   #242
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
If they have any sence of humor, they will really name it "FF"
Perhaps not. To me, 'Pentax FF' or 'P-FF' would invite people to borrow from the B-52 bomber's nickname amongst airmen - the 'BUFF' (Big Ugly Fat F*k). So I'd recommend Ricoh leave 'FF' out of the new full-frame's model name.
01-20-2016, 02:23 AM   #243
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
We discussed this a couple of years ago on here.. a modular K mount camera with support for right or left handed grip, upgradable sensor/back, etc

It is a fantastic idea for the user but likely very costly to support for the manufacturer.
The sensor, mirror, mirror box, lens mount, PDAF sensor, focusing screen, view finder, processor, memory buffer, memory card slot, HDMI and USB connectors should be in the same unit because of mechanical tolerances, communication buses and other tightly connected technologies. Possibly the screen too.

That leaves the grip, battery unit, buttons and maybe the screen to be in that other modular part. A right and left hand version of the modular grip part would not be that expensive to make but would draw a lot of attention in the media. About 8-13% of the world population (and presumably potential camera buyers) are left handed. In theory the left handed version could outsell Pentax current market share several times if all left handed camera buyers chooses Pentax. I think that idea is brilliant, not crazy. If it fails it will still have generated lots of free publicity and attention the the Pentax brand. Just look at all the attention dslr camera colours got for virtually no cost.

Last edited by Simen1; 01-20-2016 at 02:32 AM.
01-20-2016, 03:25 AM   #244
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
The sensor, mirror, mirror box, lens mount, PDAF sensor, focusing screen, view finder, processor, memory buffer, memory card slot, HDMI and USB connectors should be in the same unit because of mechanical tolerances, communication buses and other tightly connected technologies. Possibly the screen too.

That leaves the grip, battery unit, buttons and maybe the screen to be in that other modular part. A right and left hand version of the modular grip part would not be that expensive to make but would draw a lot of attention in the media. About 8-13% of the world population (and presumably potential camera buyers) are left handed. In theory the left handed version could outsell Pentax current market share several times if all left handed camera buyers chooses Pentax. I think that idea is brilliant, not crazy. If it fails it will still have generated lots of free publicity and attention the the Pentax brand. Just look at all the attention dslr camera colours got for virtually no cost.
Agreed.

Years ago, I watched a segment from Sunday Morning about a street photographer who lost use of his right hand. He had an awkward process in order to shoot with left.. but he made it work. Simply having a left handed grip would probably be a blessing to him and others in his situation.

01-20-2016, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #245
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Oh, let's not get into the Fuji ISO rating scandal again! 😀
The easiest way to have your iso 6400 look clean is to have it be equivalent to another maker's iso 3200. All camera companies seem to fudge a little here, but Fuji was definitely worse than most.
01-20-2016, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #246
Forum Member

8-13%, and 99,9% of them are capable of pressing a button with their right hand
01-20-2016, 05:25 AM   #247
Veteran Member

Being able and prefer is two different things. On the other side, the 8-13% estimate may be low for potential buyers in short term. There may have been a build up of people that want left hand cameras over the past decades. People that chosed to go for the awkwardness of right handed cameras or ditch photography for other hobbies. A left hand camera could release a rush of left handed to buy Pentax cameras. Maybe this is overly optimistic, but as I said in the last post, even if it fails to sell a lot, it would still create lots of publicity and attention for a very low cost.

Ricoh/Pentax: Go for it!

01-20-2016, 06:23 AM   #248
Veteran Member

A left-handed oriented grip could do the trick. It would not be compact but cheap to develop.
01-20-2016, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #249
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Being able and prefer is two different things. On the other side, the 8-13% estimate may be low for potential buyers in short term. There may have been a build up of people that want left hand cameras over the past decades. People that chosed to go for the awkwardness of right handed cameras or ditch photography for other hobbies. A left hand camera could release a rush of left handed to buy Pentax cameras. Maybe this is overly optimistic, but as I said in the last post, even if it fails to sell a lot, it would still create lots of publicity and attention for a very low cost.

Ricoh/Pentax: Go for it!
I am left-handed. I can't image buying a "left-handed" camera, because I've been using "right-handed" cameras for nearly sixty years now and I've developed good habits that I'm not interested in changing.
BTW - I also use a right-handed mouse simply because that is how the typical computer is set up (and if I develop carpal-tunnel, most likely it would affect my non-dominant hand, because mousing seems to be the biggest cause of carpal tunnel).
I don't expect the rest of the world to change its shape around me.
01-20-2016, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #250
Veteran Member

Thats perfectly ok. Nobody will force left handed to buy left hand cameras. And its not the world vs you, there are more then half a billion left handed people in the world. You are in good company. Some of them may have different preferences then you. If not, then a left hand camera still will create a lot of publicity with low expenses. I cant see how that could turn out bad in any way.
01-20-2016, 11:14 AM   #251
Forum Member

...if all left handed camera buyers chooses Pentax.
Some of them may have different preferences then you.
I think what reh321 and I (also left handed, as surprisingly many of my friends) are trying to say is just that it definitely won't be 10% of camera buyers. I think its more likely to be 10% of 10%, and even less if the left handed version is more expensive. It's a bit shortsighted to use custom products just because its at first a bit more comfortable. You risk having to change your habits if there's no successor model a few years later, you won't be able to use or borrow a tool from another person, you may pay more. I think cameras aren't really different in that way compared to computers, phones, music instruments, cars etc.
01-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #252

I am left handed, too. But more important for photography than my hands are my eyes. And I have a clear preference for my right eye when looking through the VF. I would hate to have to use a left handed camera with my right eye because of my nose being all in the way. So, in my case, thanks for the idea of a left handed camera - but no thanks.
01-20-2016, 12:01 PM   #253
Veteran Member

Well, guitar manufacturers make left-hand models. But then, others like Jimi Hendrix made do...
01-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Well, guitar manufacturers make left-hand models. But then, others like Jimi Hendrix made do...
Yes but a very limited choice of models at a stupidly outrageous price.
01-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #255
Veteran Member

Didn't Hendrix use custom made right handed guitars with flipped necks so he could play left handed? He didn't exactly "make do".