Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 110 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #256

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The mount has been around for 50 years. The sensor electronics have not. And that would be the problem, having a standard interface for the sensor chip. And is it standard for FF or APS-C? And if they improve the SR system how do you account for that? Just swapping out one sensor for another sounds easy, and indeed we do that all the time on PC motherboards. But that only works as long as the chipset and socket stay the same. Which they don't. So you could likely design something that could swap sensors but only during that sensor generation. And I doubt that there would be enough reason to do that. By the time the next 'better' chip comes along they will need a new chipset, socket array or whatever to accommodate it.

Not saying it is not POSSIBLE, just highly unlikely and almost certainly not cost effective.
Ricoh tried this with the GXR. I always thought it was a brilliant concept.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricoh_GXR

01-20-2016, 04:23 PM   #257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Didn't Hendrix use custom made right handed guitars with flipped necks so he could play left handed? He didn't exactly "make do".
I don't think there was much "custom" about them -- AFAIK he mostly played a standard right-handed guitar, flipped upside-down to face the other way, and restrung so the strings would be low-to-high top-to-bottom, as is traditional. I think you would only need to change the nut and adjust the bridge and intonation (and maybe the truss rod) to make this work.
01-21-2016, 12:48 AM   #258
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Didn't Hendrix use custom made right handed guitars with flipped necks so he could play left handed? He didn't exactly "make do".
I think he did, but I have seen pictures of him playing a guitar with a normal right hand head stock. Maybe he was given the custom models when he became famous?
01-22-2016, 12:02 PM   #259
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
I am left handed, too. But more important for photography than my hands are my eyes. And I have a clear preference for my right eye when looking through the VF. I would hate to have to use a left handed camera with my right eye because of my nose being all in the way. So, in my case, thanks for the idea of a left handed camera - but no thanks.
I am right handed, but my left eye is my dominant eye. I fail to see how using right eye on left handed camera would be any different.

01-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #260

QuoteOriginally posted by zoomlens Quote
I am right handed, but my left eye is my dominant eye. I fail to see how using right eye on left handed camera would be any different.
It would not be any different to your current situation. The question is: Wouldn't you prefer it if your nose was not hitting the screen or the controls? It would disturb me(!). That's why I would always prefer a right handed camera over any left handed one. But that's just me.
01-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #261
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zoomlens Quote
Well, that's simple. The same geniuses on here who are designing the interchangeable left/right handed grip can also figure out a way to move the viewfinder to the left or right side of the camera at will.
01-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #262
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Well, that's simple. The same geniuses on here who are designing the interchangeable left/right handed grip can also figure out a way to move the viewfinder to the left or right side of the camera at will.
That's simple. Just make it a mirrorless camera and use an EVF.

I doubt a lefty camera would be a big hit, cause not all of them would actually want one. And then fewer of those who are left would leave their system because of that.

01-22-2016, 09:11 PM   #263
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote

I doubt a lefty camera would be a big hit, cause not all of them would actually want one. And then fewer of those who are left would leave their system because of that.
I don't think it is about being a hit, flying off the shelf, or being the flagship, money making leader... but about showing innovation in a market so tightly wound and giving photographers (consumers) another option.
01-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #264
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote

As one of "them", I can guarantee that I would not buy one ... I have 50 years of muscle memory that has my right finger press the shutter button, and I'm not interested in changing now.
01-23-2016, 02:40 PM   #265
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I don't think there was much "custom" about them -- AFAIK he mostly played a standard right-handed guitar, flipped upside-down to face the other way, and restrung so the strings would be low-to-high top-to-bottom, as is traditional. I think you would only need to change the nut and adjust the bridge and intonation (and maybe the truss rod) to make this work.
I met someone who played a violin left handed. SFAIK, this would never happen in a "classical" music setting. Perhaps I should refer to the musician as a "fiddler" rather than a "violinist." How he had the instrument strung I didn't notice but should have, as I assailed a violin for several decades without talent.
01-26-2016, 04:43 AM   #266
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
One thing I haven't seen a lot of talk about is the moveable screen on the back of the camera. Am I the only one who looks at this being an unneeded item that will someday break or cause problems? Flip up or flip out screens are OK, if that's your thing, but what they're showing on the K1 looks like a recipe for problems, while adding unnecessary cost to the end product.
Duct tape isn't too expensive.
I share your concern but if you think (like me) that you wont use it that much, you might fix the swivvel with tape right after opening the box.

---------- Post added 01-26-2016 at 12:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I thought everyone knew they must use a Medium Format camera for the highest quality selfies?

As a result, there is a 3rd party that is making MF selfie sticks.. here they are at the factory waiting to be loaded onto the truck:
01-26-2016, 05:02 AM   #267

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Duct tape isn't too expensive.
I share your concern but if you think (like me) that you wont use it that much, you might fix the swivvel with tape right after opening the box.

---------- Post added 01-26-2016 at 12:46 PM ----------

Looks a piece of genius. I may not need to go full frame, but I want that screen on my next apsc camera.
Brian
01-26-2016, 05:12 AM   #268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
It's hard to imagine why they wouldn't have used a conventional and cheaper flip & twist or what they did with the 645z (which is weather-sealed) if there weren't some good reason for it - I'm waiting with interest to see what that is, though as far as I know now I wouldn't use it greatly except for low angle shots - I suspect it will click in place fairly firmly though - so no need for tape
01-26-2016, 05:35 AM   #269
Pentaxian

I don't find it hard to imagine - they wanted to offer more degrees of freedom, and differentiate from other products.
01-26-2016, 05:37 AM   #270
Pentaxian

Not sure if it will articulate enough, but a four point technique, two hands, neck strap against your chest or lower would be excellent for video. It would have to articulate up over the viewfinder or a solid right angle from the back.