Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2016, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #271
Pentaxian

"Enough" is subjective, some people might want to take selfies with this camera and a 70-200 attached

01-26-2016, 06:20 AM   #272
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't find it hard to imagine
tricky blighters, those english double negatives ;D
01-26-2016, 06:27 AM   #273
Pentaxian

I think I said what I meant to say...
01-26-2016, 06:38 AM   #274
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Enough" is subjective, some people might want to take selfies with this camera and a 70-200 attached
"ENOUGH" is never enough. Rearrange the letters and it spells "one hug," and everyone knows one hug is not enough.

---------- Post added 01-26-16 at 08:49 AM ----------

I don't find it hard to imagine - they wanted to offer more degrees of freedom, and differentiate from other products.
Not sure how much additional movement it will allow. The hinge-and-rotate at the left screens can be directed straight up, straight down, straight to the left, 180 degrees forward for selfies, and can be closed flat against the body to protect the screen while you use the viewfinder. I suspect the articulation mechanism shown for the K1 would gain rotation to enable viewing from the left (is that necessary or significantly useful?), but will lose turn forward (selfie position) and also turned inward to protect the screen. As posted here or elsewhere, I cannot understand why they are not using a wel- proven mechanism that cannot be covered by patents because it is used by multiple manufacturers, especially because the proposed K1 design looks complex, therefore more expensive, and appears to have many dust-dirt collecting slots and corners that will be very difficult to clean..

01-26-2016, 07:08 AM   #275
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I said what I meant to say...
it wasn't clear to me that you'd followed what I'd said, that's all - but no big deal
01-26-2016, 07:14 AM   #276
Pentaxian

I tried - can't guarantee that I succeeded

WPRESTO: I was comparing with the 645Z's system. But a hinge-and-rotate system has its drawbacks, too...
I guess we'll have to wait and see precisely what it can do.
01-26-2016, 07:39 AM   #277
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried - can't guarantee that I succeeded

WPRESTO: I was comparing with the 645Z's system. But a hinge-and-rotate system has its drawbacks, too...
I guess we'll have to wait and see precisely what it can do.
It certainly looks adequate for my purposes (getting low for macros and dramatic perspective, and also above-the-madding-crowd), possibly it is sturdier than the single rotating hinge, and maybe it does something hard to foresee. I'm hopeful, and pleased that a high-end Pentax will have an articulated screen. Was wishing, then disappointed when the K3 replaced the K5, and again when the K3II superseded the K3 because this feature was omitted. Will I pop for the K1? At my age, if I want it, why delay? I'll probably pre-order as I did with the K3 (no regrets on that). And, I am not familiar with the 645Z system. I had a Bronica S2 for several years, purchased soon after it was introduced, and that camera put me off larger-than-35mm format for the photography I like to do. Consequently I do not follow design features of "medium format" digital cameras.

01-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have seen this kind of hinge system somewhere couple decades ago, but I can't remember where and for what it was made for.
So this is not something they just pulled out of the hat and put in K-1.
01-26-2016, 09:18 PM   #279
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
"ENOUGH" is never enough. Rearrange the letters and it spells "one hug," and everyone knows one hug is not enough.

---------- Post added 01-26-16 at 08:49 AM ----------

Not sure how much additional movement it will allow. The hinge-and-rotate at the left screens can be directed straight up, straight down, straight to the left, 180 degrees forward for selfies, and can be closed flat against the body to protect the screen while you use the viewfinder. I suspect the articulation mechanism shown for the K1 would gain rotation to enable viewing from the left (is that necessary or significantly useful?), but will lose turn forward (selfie position) and also turned inward to protect the screen. As posted here or elsewhere, I cannot understand why they are not using a wel- proven mechanism that cannot be covered by patents because it is used by multiple manufacturers, especially because the proposed K1 design looks complex, therefore more expensive, and appears to have many dust-dirt collecting slots and corners that will be very difficult to clean..
I thought it was a weird contraption until I tried it. It feel very natural to pull and rotate the screen. After trying it, My opinion changed about its utility and the ergonomics. It certainly felt a lot sturdier than the flip out or the flip and rotate screens.

Last edited by btnapa; 01-26-2016 at 09:18 PM. Reason: typo
01-27-2016, 12:20 AM   #280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I thought it was a weird contraption until I tried it. It feel very natural to pull and rotate the screen. After trying it, My opinion changed about its utility and the ergonomics. It certainly felt a lot sturdier than the flip out or the flip and rotate screens.
so having played with it, what do you think it is intended to achieve - it can obviously flip up, but no so obviously down or sideways - is it just the capacity to tilt slightly left/ right up/down to avoid reflections?
01-27-2016, 01:38 AM   #281
Veteran Member

My guess is it's definitely done to give a strong identity to the camera but it looks functional to me.
01-27-2016, 02:16 AM   #282
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
My guess is it's definitely done to give a strong identity to the camera but it looks functional to me.
That’s what I think too, it looks cool (imho) and it does stand out, literally. And also have some unique functions in that it can move and twist in any direction (although the range is limited).
01-27-2016, 02:27 AM   #283
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
That’s what I think too, it looks cool (imho) and it does stand out, literally. And also have some unique functions in that it can move and twist in any direction (although the range is limited).
I think I'd be a little disappointed if looking cool was the engineering design principle behind the screen?
01-27-2016, 02:46 AM   #284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Clever implementation of engineering principles is sometimes widely appreciated, and sometimes generally unnoticed. Either way, the judgment of the practised eye might describe it as "cool".

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 01-27-2016 at 03:49 AM.
01-27-2016, 02:57 AM   #285
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Clever implementation of engineering principles is sometimes widely appreciated, and sometimes generally unnoticed. Either way, the judgment of the practised eye might described it as "cool".
looking cool as a by-product of great engineering aimed at enhanced functionality - good

looking cool as an ultimate design goal - bad

I'd just be interested to know specifically what problem it solves that justifies its development - not against it in any way - it does look cool!