Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2016, 07:39 PM   #46
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 885
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ColiNiloK Quote
Like I said above it's purely based on comparing the sample images of the LAOWA lens and my past experience of the Sony/Minolta STF Lens, there are many "sample" pictures online also about the Sony/Minolta STF lens, we can all make our own judgement based on those, yes thus it's purply subjective at this stage.

LAOWA samples are taken from a prototype lens. It is not in production yet. We should be able to find more "formal" samples this summer.

01-25-2016, 05:45 AM   #47
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,912
The international/official media launch will take place in early February. They use to spread some pieces of informations on Chinese fora some two to four weeks in advance in order to gauge people's interest.
01-28-2016, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,912
A few additional pictures (each thumbnail is linked to the Flickr page from which you will be able to see the larger, often full-resolution image).



The whole album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsksPyYgn
01-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #49
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Corfu, Greece
Photos: Albums
Posts: 92
Laowa 105mm stf or Samyang 135/2.0?

In view of the K1, I've been wondering what lens i'd like between m 77 and my A* 200 macro (I know, that's terrible ;P). I currently have a Pentacon 135/2.8, known as the bokeh-monster, and i'm thinking of upgrading it. I like it a lot, but wide open, it's not like these new lenses. Bokeh is great also stopped down thanks to the 18 circular aperture blades. But it's M42 mount and I find it a pain to use... It's hard to mount and unmount, then you have to stop down to meter, open up again, focus, stop down again, shoot. Ugh.

So i'm thinking,
1. will the laowa have aperture coupling? It seems not - it's like an "M" lens, and will work like the Pentacon. The Samyang is an "A" lens, which is good news.
2. will the laowa allow focus confirmation and therefore CIF? If I recall, the Minolta stf, because of the apodization lens, did not give an AF lock.
3. How are the coatings on the laowa? The Samyang coatings seem mediocre imho.

Maybe we'll get a DFA 135/2.8 limited next year? Or a DFA* 135/1.8!!!!

01-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #50
Site Supporter
K David's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,268
QuoteOriginally posted by miles Quote
So i'm thinking,
1. will the laowa have aperture coupling? It seems not - it's like an "M" lens, and will work like the Pentacon. The Samyang is an "A" lens, which is good news.
2. will the laowa allow focus confirmation and therefore CIF? If I recall, the Minolta stf, because of the apodization lens, did not give an AF lock.
3. How are the coatings on the laowa? The Samyang coatings seem mediocre imho.
Guessing here, I would say:

1- Probably not. That said, when I test drove the Sony STF, I almost never used the auto aperture and found that I could have used the lens equally well if it hadn't had a camera-controlled aperture ring.
2- I'd again say probably not. I wish I could comment on the focus confirmation on the Sony but the Alpha 9 does not have that.
3- My guess from looking at the images from Laowa lenses is they're okay to fine. I haven't seen any sample Laowa images, from the maker, where the sun or other light source is in the frame. That could be coincidence or it could be that they don't want the lens' flare and ghosting tendencies to be known. But the Laowa sample images seem to come from one or more photographers who have a distinct style and approach to subject handling and scene lighting.
01-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #51
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,912
QuoteOriginally posted by miles Quote
(...)

So i'm thinking,
1. will the laowa have aperture coupling? It seems not - it's like an "M" lens, and will work like the Pentacon. The Samyang is an "A" lens, which is good news.
2. will the laowa allow focus confirmation and therefore CIF? If I recall, the Minolta stf, because of the apodization lens, did not give an AF lock.
3. How are the coatings on the laowa? The Samyang coatings seem mediocre imho.

Maybe we'll get a DFA 135/2.8 limited next year? Or a DFA* 135/1.8!!!!
1/ Most probably no but it's the kind of lens you tend to use quite open: the impact of the apodisation element decreases the more you stop down.

2/ It won't: the apodisation element is hostile for focus confirmation based on phase detection.

3/ So-so; not worse nor particularly better than those on the Samyang.

---------- Post added 01-29-2016 at 11:21 PM ----------

By the way, there is another option you might want to consider:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsknsZJSF
01-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #52
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Corfu, Greece
Photos: Albums
Posts: 92
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
1/ Most probably no but it's the kind of lens you tend to use quite open: the impact of the apodisation element decreases the more you stop down.

2/ It won't: the apodisation element is hostile for focus confirmation based on phase detection.
Thank you for your reply Mistral. Not having focus confirmation or CIF on a lens with so little dof I think would be a problem in use.. However, i'd like to be proven wrong, so i'm looking forward to reading about someones experiences. But I think it would be better on a Sony A7ii...
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

3/ So-so; not worse nor particularly better than those on the Samyang.

---------- Post added 01-29-2016 at 11:21 PM ----------

By the way, there is another option you might want to consider:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsknsZJSF
Yikes, the size of that thing is scaaaary! I saw the announcement on the dpreview page.
02-14-2016, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 885
Original Poster
One more thing: Laowa ZERO-D (almost zero-distortion) 12mm F2.8 Full Frame lens is also coming. Should be available on Pentax K mount as usual!

Some sample photos:




Last edited by starjedi; 02-14-2016 at 07:46 AM.
03-11-2016, 05:39 AM   #54
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,912
Venus Optics Laowa STF 105mm f/2 (T/3.2) was officially announced worldwide yesterday:

Venus Optics - Anhui ChangGeng Optical Technology Company Limited | 'LAOWA' Camera Lenses

Available for pre-order from their website: Laowa 105mm f/2 Smooth Trans Focus (STF) Lens | Venus Optics - Anhui ChangGeng Optical Technology Company Limited

Price is $699. Shipment of K-mount copies will begin in May 2016.
03-11-2016, 05:46 AM   #55
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 885
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Venus Optics Laowa STF 105mm f/2 (T/3.2) was officially announced worldwide yesterday:

Venus Optics - Anhui ChangGeng Optical Technology Company Limited | 'LAOWA' Camera Lenses

Available for pre-order from their website: Laowa 105mm f/2 Smooth Trans Focus (STF) Lens | Venus Optics - Anhui ChangGeng Optical Technology Company Limited

Price is $699. Shipment of K-mount copies will begin in May 2016.
Superb!
06-04-2016, 07:53 AM   #56
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,088
Photozone have tested it and are quite enthousiastic:

Laowa 105mm f/2 STF - Review / Lens Test
06-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #57
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,104
Anybody have a K-1 to see how this lens performs?
06-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #58
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,618
I have the k-1 send me the lens.
06-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #59
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,912
The K-mount version isn't available yet.
06-04-2016, 11:19 AM   #60
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,128
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
A few additional pictures (each thumbnail is linked to the Flickr page from which you will be able to see the larger, often full-resolution image).


The whole album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsksPyYgn
Too much post-processing at most photos to sell so expensive lens
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
105mm, article, capacities, da10-17, effect, f2, f2.0, f2.8, ff, filter, forum, laowa, laowa stf 105mm, lens, loss, macro, new lens, pentax k, pentax news, pentax rumors, samyang, smooth transition focus, sony, stf, stf 105mm f2.0, t3.2, tx, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
photos from Laowa / Venus 15mm f4.0 1:1 macro micl161 Lens Sample Photo Archive 7 08-16-2015 04:38 AM
For Sale - Sold: Super Takumar 35mm f2.0 (yep 2.0) with hood & cases (cosmetic issue bargain!) cheekygeek Sold Items 4 09-17-2013 08:47 AM
For Sale - Sold: SMC Pentax FA 35mm F2.0 AL (FA35/2.0) (Worldwide) deejjjaaaa Sold Items 8 07-20-2011 06:54 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:33 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top